In general, I’m a fan of new capabilities that come to the web platform. Unfortunately, sometimes a new feature is released that is abused as hell by web sites making you wish the feature had never even been considered. In this case, I don’t necessarily blame web developers, as I think they already know that a particular feature is being abused, but rather managers who insist that they know what they’re doing and “users really want this”.
A few days ago I blogged about working with Geolocation in NativeScript (“Getting Location in NativeScript”). That post was a bit short as I was writing during a layover on my way to NativeScript Developer Day (which was pretty damn cool!) in Amsterdam. Now I’m on my way home, stuck in Atlanta due to storms causing chaos, and I thought I’d share a quick update to my previous post.
As I prepare to get on an 8+ hour flight to Amsterdam for NativeScript Developer Day, I thought it would be nice to work on a quick little NativeScript demo. It occurred to me a few days ago that one of the things I did while learning Cordova and Ionic was to build a crap ton of simple demos that used various plugins as a way to learn the ecosystem. I’ve decided to try my best to repeat that process with NativeScript. What follows is the first of two articles I’m going to write on using geolocation with NativeScript. This is just a simple introduction while the next one will be a slightly more complex example.
It’s been a while since I’ve blogged about building Alexa skills, but this weekend I played around with something I’ve been meaning to take a look at for quite some time - visual results. In case you weren’t aware, there are multiple ways of returning visual results with an Alexa skill response. There are multiple Alexa devices that have screens (I’ve got an Alexa Show and Spot) and whenever you use the Alexa app itself, visual results are displayed there. To be fair, I’d be willing to bet a lot of people aren’t even aware of the Alexa app or that it can show previous uses. This is something I’ve meant to look at for sometime and dang if I wish I had looked at it earlier. You can add simple visual feedback in about five minutes of work!
In my last article I described how I wanted to help introduce FusionReactor to ColdFusion developers with a special focus on helping solve practical problems and navigating terminology that may not be terrible familiar if you haven’t used Java before. In that first article I focused on using the FusionReactor portal to find and diagnose pages that were throwing errors. In this follow up I’m going to highlight another great use of FusionReactor - finding slow pages.
As a ColdFusion developer, you may know that it’s running as a J2EE server but also may have zero to no idea what that means in a practical sense. ColdFusion has always been easy to use, especially for developers from a non-traditional background, and this sometimes means there’s aspects of the platform that aren’t quite as easy to understand as others. A great example of this are the things that are more Java-centric. FusionReactor integrates with your ColdFusion server from a Java-perspective, which means it may be use terms that may be unfamiliar to the developer who only knows CFML.
Last week I had the pleasure of speaking at DevNexus on multiple Vue.js topics, one of which was the Nuxt.js framework. I had previously looked at Nuxt many months ago and decided I didn’t like it. The main issue I ran into were documentation issues and - well to be honest - just a gut feeling. When I was asked if I could give a Nuxt presentation to cover for a speaker who had to cancel, I was happy for the opportunity to give Nuxt another look. In the end, I came away with a much different opinion. I still think the docs need a bit of tweaking (I’ll mention one issue in this post), but overall I’m pretty damn impressed. Nuxt adds multiple shortcuts which let you follow a convention to skip a lot of boilerplate code. It’s really a nice framework that I’m hoping to use, and blog on, a bit more this year.
This post is really just for those folks who attended my DevNexus presentations this past week, although anyone is welcome to grab the assets if you want. I’ve zipped up both slide decks and demos. I’ve gone back and forth between putting presentations up on GitHub and if I give these again they move there, but for now you can just grab the zips.
I’ve been using Vue heavily for a while now and this week I ran into an issue that I’ve never seen before. It’s something documented and pretty well known (when I tweeted about it I got a reply in about 60 seconds) but I just had not hit it before. Before I get into $nextTick, let me explain what I was doing and what went wrong.