My First Lynda Course - Learning Ionic

So this kinda snuck up on me (in terms of how quickly it got produced I mean ;), but I'm happy to announce my first course for Lynda.com (AKA LinkedIn Learning):

Learning Ionic

It's a short course meant to introduce folks to Ionic 2 (but will work just fine with Ionic 3/X) and I think it's a rather 'gentle' introduction for folks who have only seen Ionic 1 so far and are a bit worried about the jump to Ionic/Angular 2. Here are topics covered:

• Making a default application
  • Exploring application files
  • Adding navigation and UI components
  • Theming
  • Using a hard-coded detail view
  • Adding the SW provider via CLI
  • Making a list and a details page
  • Adding a loading widget
  • Using native and market Ionic resources

Anyway, I think it's good. But obviously I'm biased. ;) As always, check it out, let me know what you think (positive or negative), and enjoy. I know I've been laser focused on serverless lately, and that certainly isn't because I'm done with Ionic!

Comment 1 by ivanoats posted on 5/19/2017 at 3:07 PM

As another teacher / developer relations / programmer person, it also would be interesting to learn the business aspects of producing this course.

Comment 2 (In reply to #1) by Raymond Camden posted on 5/19/2017 at 4:14 PM

I'll comment here. Obviously I have a grand total of one video under my belt, so take this for what it's worth:

The process to create the content is quite a bit of work - but not overly so. I guess what I mean is, I didn't feel like their process *added* to the work in a bad way. There's a ramp up period of figuring out how to create your content the way you want, but I didn't feel like they were making me do stupid crap in relation to it.

Most of my time was spent creating the slide decks and my scripts. Scripts are not required, and I wasn't going to do them, but I'm glad I did. It make recording a lot easier. (And to be clear, you can *definitely* tweak things as you record.)

My editor was incredible. She always responded, always gave me feedback, definitely pushed me to create a better product.

In the end, you have to record on location (they support remote recordings, but in general, not for first time authors). That's a big trip (multiple day), but the entire cost is covered by Lynda.

While there, the recording process is pretty low key. You don't have to be perfect, just take it slow. If you make a mistake, you can add an audio cue and start again from where you were.

The recording location is beautiful too.

All in all an intensive process, but one I thought was well done.

In terms of compensation, obviously I'll not discuss specifics, but I felt I was *well* paid for what I did up front. I'll have to see if I make money on top of my advance. To be honest, I don't necessarily do this as a money maker since it's in my spare time. If I was solo/independent, I think it *could* be a great money maker.

Comment 3 by Dan Vega posted on 5/19/2017 at 7:01 PM

Congrats on launching your course! Any reason you decided to go with Lynda? I have courses on several platforms and have looked at almost all of them so I am just curious. Are you planning on releasing courses on other platforms? If you do and have any questions please feel free to reach out.

Comment 4 (In reply to #3) by Raymond Camden posted on 5/19/2017 at 7:05 PM

A friend of mine there reached out to me and encouraged me to submit. I'm not planning on doing a *lot* of video courses. I feel like it's something I really need more time to be good at. I mean I think this is good, but it required a lot of my side time. I *may* do more, but if I do, it will be for Lynda. (Or just YouTube. :)

Comment 5 by Antonio Gallo posted on 5/19/2017 at 9:45 PM

Didn't knewed about this Lynda platform. Good luck anyway :)

Comment 6 (In reply to #5) by Raymond Camden posted on 5/19/2017 at 9:47 PM

Didn't know what?

Comment 7 (In reply to #6) by Raymond Camden posted on 5/19/2017 at 9:47 PM

Oh about the entire platform? Lynda.com is pretty big in the online video training world. :)

Comment 8 (In reply to #7) by Antonio Gallo posted on 5/20/2017 at 9:25 AM

Its not so famous in europe i suspect. Udemy and EggHead are the most trendy today

Comment 9 (In reply to #3) by Dhananjay Agarwal posted on 8/29/2017 at 10:34 AM

Dear Dan,
Are you still planning to list courses on other platforms?. If yes, There is one best platform is there you can release all of your courses on this platform - https://www.simpliv.com/ .

Also you can send an email to simplivllc@gmail.com

One of my friend was listed his few courses and he is earning good and also getting good response.