Looking for RIAForge?

Looking for RIAForge?

So yeah - I've gotten a few emails/IMs/Tweets/passenger pigeons about this today. Apparently RIAForge.org is showing something different:

Woot

So just as a reminder, I stepped down from managing RIAForge last year ("Status of RIAForge"). The ColdFusion team was aware that the domain was expiring and was in process of moving the ownership (I didn't own the domain name though) to themselves and I guess it just didn't get done.

So... yeah. Not sure what to tell you. Obviously the server is probably still there. I have no idea if they plan on trying to get the domain back or selecting a new one. If you want your files, please reach out to @coldfusion on Twitter. And of course, if you are still doing open source in ColdFusion, you should just use GitHub. RIAForge was built way back when GitHub was still young and not as well known as it is today. I'm real proud of what RIAForge provided, but it's time to move on. (In more ways than one, but I'll bite my tongue.)

Comment 1 by Dani Szwarc posted on 8/29/2016 at 1:56 PM

When you say "I'll bite my tongue", does it taste like node? :D

Comment 2 (In reply to #1) by Raymond Camden posted on 8/29/2016 at 2:02 PM

Just a bit. ;)

Comment 3 (In reply to #2) by Dani Szwarc posted on 8/29/2016 at 4:47 PM

I applaud you Ray for this post as well as the CF 2016 post. I can only trust people who are transparent and honest and these two posts are basically your letter of presentation.
Thank you for this.

Comment 4 (In reply to #3) by Raymond Camden posted on 8/29/2016 at 4:48 PM

You are most welcome. :)

Comment 5 by Kevin Roche posted on 9/9/2016 at 2:46 PM

Unfortunately there is a lot of useful code on it that has been lost to everyone unless someone can pay for the domain. :-(

Comment 6 (In reply to #5) by Raymond Camden posted on 9/9/2016 at 2:54 PM

Surely Adobe has taken care of this by now, right?

Comment 7 (In reply to #6) by Kevin Roche posted on 9/9/2016 at 2:58 PM

I wish! Still giving me the same view as your screenshot. :-(

Comment 8 (In reply to #7) by Raymond Camden posted on 9/9/2016 at 2:59 PM

I want to care, but if Adobe and the ColdFusion team can't be bothered, then why should I?

God that sounds cruel, but it just pisses me off. It takes 10 minutes to renew DNS - to transfer it. They couldn't do that.

Hell, they could have put up another domain name and pointed it to RIAForge just temporarily.

Nope.

*sigh*

Comment 9 (In reply to #8) by Dani Szwarc posted on 9/11/2016 at 11:59 AM

If I register it, I don't 'save' the content, do I?

Comment 10 (In reply to #9) by Raymond Camden posted on 9/11/2016 at 3:13 PM

The content is on a server at Edgeweb, most likely 100% safe and sound. It's just the DNS. They could buy

bullcrap.adobe.com

and point to it right away.

Comment 11 by Don Bellamy posted on 9/29/2016 at 5:23 PM

The site is back online. I let them know that the domain was still renewable yesterday but after that it would be lost. Charlie got a hold of the right person and was able to get the domain renewed in time.

Comment 12 (In reply to #11) by Dani Szwarc posted on 9/29/2016 at 5:27 PM