My first O'Reilly Book: Client-Side Data Storage

While I've released a few videos for O'Reilly already (you can find all my ORA material on my author page), today I'm happy to announce the release of my first book. This is - to me - the coolest day ever. Since I began working in this industry (a long, long time ago), ORA books have always been the best of the best. While I've worked for multiple publishers over the past twenty years, this was my first opportunity to write a book for ORA. It isn't terribly long - but frankly - shorter technical books can be more impactful I think.

The book, Client-Side Data Storage: Keeping it Local, focuses on a topic that I've been interested in for a few years now - client-side storage for web apps. While this is still somewhat of a chaotic space, platform support for data storage is constantly improving.

In my book, I go over all the major types of storage (even cookies, because yes, they still work) and provide easy to understand explanations and plenty of demos.

I was honored to have Nolan Lawson review the book, and this is what he had to say:

"Provides a great overview of the (oft-underexplored) browser storage landscape. A must-read for anyone looking to get started with offline storage and rich webapps."

I consider myself an expert in this space, and Nolan is the person I go to so I think this is pretty incredible praise.

Anyway, as always, I'd love to know what you think. If you pick up the book, let me know in the comments below, and enjoy!

lrg

Raymond is a developer advocate for HERE Technologies. He focuses on JavaScript, serverless and enterprise cat demos. If you like this article, please consider visiting my Amazon Wishlist or donating via PayPal to show your support. You can even buy me a coffee!

Comment 1 by H.a.w.k P.h.i.l posted on 1/6/2016 at 11:28 PM

Nice. Congrats sir.

Comment 2 by Chris Geirman posted on 1/13/2016 at 1:51 AM

This book needed to be written. Thanks!

Comment 3 (In reply to #2) by Raymond Camden posted on 1/13/2016 at 2:53 AM

You are welcome - and I hope you like it.

Comment 4 by Leigh Millard posted on 1/19/2016 at 12:18 PM

I am about to buy your book, quick question though. Does it cover synchronising data with a server? I am working through an angular offline first project at the moment and I think this book will be a lifeline, if it covers sync then it's a bible

Comment 5 (In reply to #4) by Raymond Camden posted on 1/19/2016 at 12:33 PM

Sorry, no, and if that is a deal breaker, I honestly hope you read this comment before buying.

Comment 6 (In reply to #4) by Raymond Camden posted on 1/19/2016 at 12:34 PM

Oh, and for sync, I recommend PouchDB. I don't cover it in the book, but it is highly recommended for sync.

Comment 7 (In reply to #6) by Leigh Millard posted on 1/19/2016 at 1:00 PM

It's not a deal breaker at all, I look forward to delving into the book.
Thanks for the pointer on pouchDB, I have meddled with Pouch/CouchDB but then someone suggested couchbase, any opinion on this?

Comment 8 (In reply to #7) by Raymond Camden posted on 1/19/2016 at 2:10 PM

I've only barely touched on CoughDB versus Couchbase versus Cloudant. I played with Cloudant for work, and that's about it.

Comment 9 (In reply to #7) by Nic Raboy posted on 3/7/2016 at 8:43 PM

PouchDB works great with Couchbase :-)