Another year, another Wordpress issue

This post is more than 2 years old.

Thanks to a reader (thanks Theo!) I've discovered that there is a problem with the latest Wordpress install and my blog. If you try to access a URL and get an infinite redirection loop, please let me know. At the end - this is my fault. When I switched from my custom blog to Wordpress, the "pretty urls" were in a slightly different format than my old site. To fix this, I hacked up Wordpress itself, which I know was dumb, but I somehow managed to survive for a year and multiple WP updates without it ever coming to bite me in the ass - until 4.4 was released a few weeks ago. I didn't even know, but some URLs began infinitely redirecting on themselves. As far as I can tell, the issue is related to the hack I did, but oddly I can't find a consistent way to recreate it. I can fix it for one URL at a time by editing the post, which makes no sense to me.

For now - my plan is to check my access log for URLs returning 301 and then fix them one by one - while also looking real hard at moving to a completely static solution so I can finally remove PHP/MySQL/NGINX from the equation and go to simple flat files.


Programming would be a lot easier without all the darn programs.

Raymond Camden's Picture

About Raymond Camden

Raymond is a senior developer evangelist for Adobe. He focuses on document services, JavaScript, and enterprise cat demos. If you like this article, please consider visiting my Amazon Wishlist or donating via PayPal to show your support. You can even buy me a coffee!

Lafayette, LA