New ColdFusion docs (and some tips for handling it)

Yesterday, the Adobe CF team announced an update to the ColdFusion docs: ColdFusion documentation update. The summary is that the wiki we have used for a while now is gone and the docs are back in a non-editable, and non-commentable (not really a word, sorry) form. Apparently this isn't a permanent change and in the future sometime it will move to something that allows for more collaboration. You may also run into an SSL issue while browsing the docs (yes, seriously), and if you want to know how to get around that, Adobe as posted a blog entry on that as well (although personally I think they could have fixed it in the time it took to write the blog entry) - SSL certification issue with wikidocs link.

You can find thew new home here: https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html#/product/coldfusion.

As an FYI, you can still download the docs here and find the older versions here.

You can also find much quicker versions of the tag/function docs at Pete's site: http://cfdocs.org/. But note that this is just tags and functions - nothing about Application.cfc or building ColdFusion apps in general. But the search will be much better there. As an example, I searched for cfabort on the Adobe docs, and the CF11 reference for the tag/function didn't show up in the first page of results.

You can also use the CF docs via Dash, a commercial, OSX-only doc viewer that I really recommend. I hope these changes don't impact the availability of docs in the app.

Comment 1 by daniel fredericks posted on 9/30/2015 at 1:14 PM

I do know Pete does have an application.cfc example in his cfdocs.org site. He might have to post a comment about that. I think it is an example of how to write one in cfscript. But you are right not more than tags and functions. Just a note however, the site is on github so all the pages are JSON based, so if you have any examples you'd like to add to tags or functions, you can add them by doing a pull request. If I can update pages and do a pull request, anyone can do it. Thanks for the post Ray.

Comment 2 (In reply to #1) by Raymond Camden posted on 9/30/2015 at 2:32 PM

Interesting - I couldn't find it. My point wasn't to call out a shortcoming per se, but just to remind folks that there is a *great* deal of content outside the reference guides. For a long time it hasn't been recognized in the CF community just how much content was put out by Adobe.

Comment 3 by Henry Ho posted on 9/30/2015 at 6:31 PM

This seems like to be the better URL as the "new home"? https://helpx.adobe.com/col...

Comment 4 (In reply to #3) by Raymond Camden posted on 9/30/2015 at 6:40 PM

Agreed, thanks.

Comment 5 (In reply to #2) by Pete Freitag posted on 10/2/2015 at 4:59 PM

For your readers, the Application.cfc doc is here: http://cfdocs.org/applicati... (use a dash instead of a dot), otherwise everything is at /functionname or /cftagname

Comment 6 (In reply to #5) by Raymond Camden posted on 10/2/2015 at 6:15 PM

Cool - thanks for sharing the link. How would someone know that though - I mean from the home page?

Comment 7 (In reply to #6) by Pete Freitag posted on 10/2/2015 at 6:47 PM

Good point ray, I thought it might show up in the search box but it doesn't - I will need to address that somehow, it is kind of a special case since it is not a tag or function.

i would like to add some additional guides at some point, like operator reference, etc but I'm not quite sure how to structure that sort of thing yet.

Comment 8 (In reply to #7) by Raymond Camden posted on 10/2/2015 at 8:35 PM

How about a "Misc" drop down for this and other things that don't fit nicely elsewhere?

Comment 9 (In reply to #8) by Pete Freitag posted on 10/2/2015 at 8:38 PM

Yeah I will do something like that.

Comment 10 by Phillip Senn posted on 10/5/2015 at 5:30 PM

When I click on a link Google Chrome says

Your connection is not private

Attackers might be trying to steal your information from wikidocs.adobe.com (for example, passwords, messages, or credit cards).

NET::ERR_CERT_COMMON_NAME_INVALID

Comment 11 (In reply to #10) by Raymond Camden posted on 10/5/2015 at 6:22 PM

Yep, I made note of it in the blog entry.