Cordova Sample: Capture and Display Video

Just a quickie - a user on Stackoverflow asked how to both capture video and display it in the app. This is fairly easy with the Media Capture API so I thought I'd whip up a quick demo.

First, I created an HTML page with a button and an empty div to hold the video later on:

<!DOCTYPE html>

</html>

And then I wrote up the following JavaScript:

document.addEventListener("deviceready", init, false);
function init() {

document.querySelector("#takeVideo").addEventListener("touchend", function() {
		console.log("Take video");
		navigator.device.capture.captureVideo(captureSuccess, captureError, {limit: 1});
	}, false);

}

function captureError(e) {
	console.log("capture error: "+JSON.stringify(e));
}

function captureSuccess(s) {
	console.log("Success");
	console.dir(s[0]);
	var v = "<video controls='controls'>";
	v += "<source src='" + s[0].fullPath + "' type='video/mp4'>";
	v += "</video>";
	document.querySelector("#videoArea").innerHTML = v;
}

So I begin by simply listening for a touch event to the button I create. I then use the Media Capture API to start the video process. In the success handler I just take the result's fullPath property and put it in HTML. I was kinda surprised the path worked as I had thought I'd need to use a URL form, but it worked just fine.

Here it is running on my iPad.

shot

If for some reason you want to try this yourself, I uploaded it to my Cordova demo repo: https://github.com/cfjedimaster/Cordova-Examples/tree/master/videotest1.

Comment 1 by Phil Spivey posted on 6/16/2015 at 12:50 PM

Hi Raymond,
Love reading your blog and it has taught me a lot about Cordova and Ionic, which I'm using. Just wondering if this would work on an Android device? I can see that the returned mediaFile has the full path in the format of file:/ and a localURL of cdvFile:/// which I was previously trying to use with videogular but without any luck. If I can simply do it with the video tag in HTML5 then I'll skip videogular altogether.
Thanks
Phil

Comment 2 (In reply to #1) by Raymond Camden posted on 6/21/2015 at 12:48 PM

What is videogular?

Comment 3 (In reply to #2) by Phil Spivey posted on 7/16/2015 at 4:12 PM

Hi Raymond,
Sorry for the delayed response. The day job got in the way. Videogular is angular powered video player (http://www.videogular.com/). I have used it successfully to play videos which I have stored on AWS. However it doesn't seem to work on local video files.
Thanks

Comment 4 (In reply to #3) by Raymond Camden posted on 7/16/2015 at 4:21 PM

Ah, thanks.

Comment 5 by Peter Lauge posted on 8/15/2015 at 5:23 PM

Hi,
Is there any way to record video with no audio?
Thanks!

Comment 6 (In reply to #5) by Raymond Camden posted on 8/15/2015 at 6:16 PM

I don't believe so. If the mobile platform itself supports it, you could do your own plugin of course.

Comment 7 by jackieleighh posted on 8/17/2015 at 2:32 PM

hello! for some reason when i record on an android, the video will save back to the gallery, but when recording on iPhone it will not. any help would be very much appreciated!

Comment 8 (In reply to #7) by Raymond Camden posted on 8/17/2015 at 9:35 PM

Sorry - not sure about that one. In theory, you could use the File plugin to copy the media file.

Comment 9 by mattias posted on 10/16/2015 at 1:04 PM

Is it possible to choose to record in mp4 for android/iOS? not .MOV for example that iOS devices chooses

Comment 10 (In reply to #9) by Raymond Camden posted on 10/16/2015 at 1:25 PM

With the plugin - I don't believe so. There may be other plugins.

Comment 11 by keuwa posted on 1/5/2016 at 11:22 AM

Too bad bad It give me a .3gp format that can't be read :(
Is there a solution for that ? Can't find one..

With Cordova 5.3.3 (with Crosswalk plugin) on Android 4.1.2

There is an options in media plugin :
"mode: The selected video capture mode. The value must match one of the elements in capture.supportedVideoModes".

But that property is empty array.. and It's the same for supportedAudioModes, supportedImageModes.

EDIT : Chrome can read .3gp ! I did a mistake in my HTML tag... I hope every devices return readable video type

Comment 12 (In reply to #11) by Raymond Camden posted on 1/5/2016 at 2:15 PM

Unfortunately I'm not aware of any. I do know there are good services out there that let you send video via REST and they do all kinds of cool conversions. These are paid services, but they work damn well.

Comment 13 by Okey posted on 1/10/2016 at 5:05 PM

Pls I want to upload the recorded video to php server but don't know how. Kindly assist me in that regards.

Comment 14 by Okechukwu John posted on 1/10/2016 at 5:55 PM

Comment 15 (In reply to #13) by Raymond Camden posted on 1/11/2016 at 2:27 PM

Use the File-Transfer plugin. It allows for uploads.

Comment 16 (In reply to #14) by Raymond Camden posted on 1/11/2016 at 2:27 PM

See my other reply.

Comment 17 (In reply to #16) by Okechukwu John posted on 1/11/2016 at 8:56 PM

Thanks for your reply, but I really do not know why File-Transfer plugin had not working for me.

Comment 18 (In reply to #17) by Raymond Camden posted on 1/11/2016 at 8:58 PM

You mean why it isn't working? I don't know why either as I can't see your code. :) I'd post this to StackOverflow. Ensure you have as much data possible about the issue.

Comment 19 (In reply to #18) by Okechukwu John posted on 1/11/2016 at 10:00 PM

Ok! Thanks for your timely reply.

Comment 20 (In reply to #19) by Raymond Camden posted on 1/11/2016 at 10:02 PM

No no no - please do not post big code blocks here! That's not really appropriate for comments. As I said, this is more appropriate for StackOverflow. You are welcome to post the link to your SO post here - if I have time I'll try to help out.

Comment 21 (In reply to #20) by Okechukwu John posted on 1/11/2016 at 10:12 PM

I'm so so sorry! Thanks for your assistance. I'll comply with that subsequently. Let me delete those codes.

Comment 22 by Narendar Gupta posted on 2/9/2016 at 12:42 PM

bj

Comment 23 by Narendar Gupta posted on 2/9/2016 at 12:43 PM

sir how to change path .3pg to .mp4 by default.plz sir give me proper code

Comment 24 (In reply to #22) by Raymond Camden posted on 2/9/2016 at 1:41 PM

Eh?

Comment 25 (In reply to #24) by Narendar Gupta posted on 2/10/2016 at 6:59 AM

sir plz give me code

Comment 26 (In reply to #25) by Raymond Camden posted on 2/10/2016 at 12:52 PM

I linked to the code.

Comment 27 by MaT posted on 2/13/2016 at 2:15 PM

Hi Raymond. I tweaked a bit your code using ng-cordova capture plugin wrapper within an ionic application. However on both iOS and Android the plugin launches the device's default camera application instead of only showing in the div as you mention. I can't actually see why it would behave differently, especially when the original cordova plugin also mentions that it launches the default device application. Any suggestion/comment on this?

Comment 28 (In reply to #27) by Raymond Camden posted on 2/13/2016 at 3:37 PM

It's been a while since I wrote this, but I think it is *supposed* to show the default video recorder. The video div is used when *done* to display the video you recorded.

Comment 29 (In reply to #28) by MaT posted on 2/14/2016 at 3:48 PM

I see. Too bad. I haven't managed to even show the video in the div once recorded even though the innerHTML seems to be provided properly.
Any idea how to use the default player inside a canvas instead of fullscreen?

Comment 30 (In reply to #29) by Raymond Camden posted on 2/14/2016 at 6:50 PM

Do you see any errors in the console?

Also, "default player" for a web view *is* the video tag.

Comment 31 by Daniel J Harvey posted on 2/22/2016 at 9:18 AM

This is really helpful, thanks!

Comment 32 by Kalina Dzhenkova posted on 2/22/2016 at 10:45 PM

Very helpful! Can you give an example for capture and display of audio? thank you very much in advance!

Comment 33 by asseco asseco posted on 2/23/2016 at 10:15 AM

Hi, thx for the tutorial, i use in Android App and looks good, the problem is that the same code in Windows Phone App dont work, dont show the video when i record, can you help me? I think that the problem is that dont save the video.

Comment 34 (In reply to #33) by Raymond Camden posted on 2/23/2016 at 2:04 PM

I'd check the docs for the Media plugin and see what they say about Windows Phone. Outside of that, I can't help you - I don't have a device to test with. I'd also use IE's remote debug feature to see if you can flesh out any errors.

Comment 35 (In reply to #32) by Raymond Camden posted on 2/23/2016 at 2:04 PM

Display of audio? You can use the audio tag with controls I suppose.

Comment 36 (In reply to #35) by Kalina Dzhenkova posted on 2/23/2016 at 3:14 PM

I tried with this callback function, but give me back error.

// capture audio callback
var captureSuccess1 = function(mediaFiles) {
var a = "<audio controls="controls">";
a += "<source src="" + mediaFiles[0].fullPath + "" type="audio/mpeg">";
a += "</audio>";
document.querySelector("#audioArea").innerHTML = a;
};

// Error:
MediaPlayer: Attempt to call getDuration without a valid mediaplayer

Comment 37 (In reply to #36) by Raymond Camden posted on 2/23/2016 at 3:20 PM

Where is getDuration defined? That isn't being used in my code.

Comment 38 (In reply to #37) by Kalina Dzhenkova posted on 2/23/2016 at 3:30 PM

I don't know. I also don't use getDuration, this is, what the Android Studio give me back.

Comment 39 (In reply to #38) by Raymond Camden posted on 2/23/2016 at 3:32 PM

I assume you changed the code to record audio, not video, right?

Comment 40 (In reply to #39) by Kalina Dzhenkova posted on 2/23/2016 at 3:35 PM

Comment 41 (In reply to #40) by Raymond Camden posted on 2/23/2016 at 3:41 PM

It may be that the output is not appropriate for the audio tag in the web view. Check the MDN documentation for <audio> and see. Also look at the fullPath extension as it should tell you the format.

In fact, I bet that's it.

Remember though that you can play audio with the Media plugin. You don't need the <audio> tag. You have to build your own controls, but that's not too hard.

Comment 42 by Prashanth Karnam posted on 2/27/2016 at 11:47 AM

Hi Raymond , Thanks for this post . But still am not able to show the video. here is how I am using it.

$scope.openVideoGallery = function(){

alert('Failed because: ' + message);

}

};

<video controls="" width="240" height="200">

<source ng-src="{{vid | trustUrl}}" type="video/mp4"/>

</video>

Can you please let me know if something is missed ..? I also added the filter to trust the URL.The file uri is coming like below

"content://com.android.providers.media.documents/document/video%3A24556"

Comment 43 (In reply to #42) by Raymond Camden posted on 2/27/2016 at 11:12 PM

Most likely the issue is that the video recorded by the camera is not valid for the video tag in the web view. A simple way to test this would be for you to record a video on your phone, put it on a local web server, and try to play it via a video tag.

Comment 44 (In reply to #34) by asseco asseco posted on 3/7/2016 at 4:17 PM

now i know that the video is saved, because i can transfer to server, but html5 video tag cannot play the video (windows phone issue) but my boss want to preplay the video before send to server....

Comment 45 (In reply to #44) by Raymond Camden posted on 3/7/2016 at 4:20 PM

If the webview can't use the video type generated by the device, then you really don't have much of a choice here. You either convert it locally or upload it to a service that can provide a compatible version. Or consider a plugin.

Comment 46 (In reply to #45) by asseco asseco posted on 3/7/2016 at 4:42 PM

i am trying save the video in externalstorage but fail anyways, i hate WP, in android its easy.

Comment 47 by aya salama posted on 3/7/2016 at 5:10 PM

Hi Raymond,
Did this sample work for an android device?, not working on my Lollipop OS device

Comment 48 (In reply to #47) by Raymond Camden posted on 3/7/2016 at 7:59 PM

I just tested on iOS. If it fails to work on Android, I'd check what I suggested on the other comments, that maybe the <video> tag doesn't like how Android records video. Also look in the console for any errors.

Comment 49 (In reply to #48) by aya salama posted on 3/9/2016 at 2:37 PM

Thanks for your comment Raymond, I had to remove the file:// or file: part from the local video file path to get it working as mentioned in the Docs,

Comment 50 by Aya. M. Salama posted on 4/16/2016 at 4:08 PM

Can I control the captured video resolution

Comment 51 (In reply to #50) by Raymond Camden posted on 4/19/2016 at 1:10 PM

Nope. In the future, you can check the plugins docs (https://www.npmjs.com/packa... to see for yourself.

Comment 52 (In reply to #49) by arjun posted on 4/21/2016 at 5:07 PM

Hi, could you let me know how you managed to do that. Thanks.

Comment 53 (In reply to #52) by Aya. M. Salama posted on 4/21/2016 at 6:37 PM

just used resultingURL.replace("file:", ""); use string.replace method, good luck

Comment 54 (In reply to #51) by Aya. M. Salama posted on 4/21/2016 at 6:37 PM

Thanks again :)

Comment 55 by shanhudao posted on 4/22/2016 at 2:28 AM

You can use iDealshare VideoGo to convert MOV to Windows Media Player more supported WMV, AVI, ASF for playing MOV on all versions of Windows Media Player.

Comment 56 by patrick posted on 9/2/2016 at 7:10 AM

Great article may need to update to include the new privay policy for camera and microphone. I am seeing issues if i start in horizontal it's cut off I have to keep rotating the device for it to put the video recorder in correcty any suggestions?

Comment 57 (In reply to #56) by Raymond Camden posted on 9/2/2016 at 12:50 PM

"update to include the new privay policy for camera and microphone"
Sorry - what? I don't believe anything has changed here. Can you explain what you mean?

As for your issue with the video recorder - hmm - not sure. You can lock orientation of course, and you can force orientation too. That might be a strategy.

Comment 58 (In reply to #57) by patrick posted on 9/2/2016 at 8:30 PM

yea in your project.plist you now need to add in .

<key>NSMicrophoneUsageDescription</key>
<string>So we can record your wonderful voice</string>

and

<key>NSCameraUsageDescription</key>
<string>So you can VlogOn</string>

otherwise the app will just deliberatly crash out part of the new ios X

Comment 59 (In reply to #58) by patrick posted on 9/2/2016 at 9:23 PM

maybe pushing my luck here.. do i need to use the file plugins to save the video to the photo album?

Comment 60 (In reply to #58) by Raymond Camden posted on 9/6/2016 at 1:24 PM

Thanks - I wonder if the plugin will start doing this automatically once ios10 is released.

Comment 61 (In reply to #59) by Raymond Camden posted on 9/6/2016 at 1:25 PM

Nope.

Comment 62 by jerrygarciuh posted on 9/7/2016 at 12:11 AM

I know you must be sick of newbs asking vapid questions but here goes-

I have implemented your code from github into a new Cordova project. I have added the media capture plugin (labeled only capture) via the Cordova UI and it is listed in plugin UI. The only code addition I made is the script include for weinre debug in index.html.

On testing when the button click produced no result in Android and iOS I added (into app.js) first an additional console.log() call and then alert() calls to init() and to the touchend event function.

After pushing these to test server I got the alerts (but no console output in debugger) for init() and for button releases but still no UI changes when clicking the button. No camera interface or any error output.

I'm running XDK 3522 on Windows 7 and using an iPhone 6 with version 9.3.5 and a Blu running Android 5.0 and kernel 3.10.54.

In my first project I am able to open camera interface and display selected/shot image. Also succeeded in displaying geopositioning data for device.

Weinre debug shows me no output and perhaps I am using unsuccessfully. I am utterly new to this toolset.

Any advice on debugging most appreciated. Thank you for sharing this (and putting up with all the questions).

Comment 63 by Paul posted on 9/7/2016 at 9:42 AM

Hi Raymond, thanks for the tutorial. Everything works properly, but I can't find captured video in the camera roll. Is there any way to save captured video to camera roll(ios) or gallery(android)?

Comment 64 (In reply to #59) by Paul posted on 9/7/2016 at 1:46 PM

Hi, it would be great if you shared how you can save the video to the photo album?

Comment 65 (In reply to #62) by Raymond Camden posted on 9/7/2016 at 2:23 PM

"The only code addition I made is the script include for weinre debug in index.html."

You should be aware that weinre is a very old project and is *NOT* recommended for debugging Cordova apps. You should use remote debug w/ Chrome or Safari.

"I'm running XDK 3522"
Unfortunately, I do not use XDK so I can't help you with that. The best I can suggest is the vanilla Cordova CLI and using Chrome Remote Debug for your Android testing.

Comment 66 (In reply to #63) by Raymond Camden posted on 9/7/2016 at 2:24 PM

You have access to the path, so you could use the File plugin and a copy command to move it over. I'm not sure if you will have access to the camera roll/gallery though.

Comment 67 (In reply to #64) by patrick posted on 9/7/2016 at 2:44 PM

Hey Paul you edit it in the cordova.m file you can also increase the filming resolution and compression

Comment 68 (In reply to #65) by jerrygarciuh posted on 9/7/2016 at 2:51 PM

OK, thank you.

Comment 69 (In reply to #68) by jerrygarciuh posted on 9/7/2016 at 2:52 PM

And thanks again for sharing this! I'm just trying my hand at Cordova for the first time and examples like this really help me get my head around discrete pieces of the process.

Comment 70 (In reply to #67) by Paul posted on 9/7/2016 at 3:15 PM

Comment 71 (In reply to #66) by Paul posted on 9/7/2016 at 3:15 PM

thanks

Comment 72 (In reply to #70) by patrick posted on 9/7/2016 at 3:28 PM

sorry wrong file it should be CDVCamera.m I tried to add it here but it threw a hissy fit.

Comment 73 by Okechukwu John posted on 9/30/2016 at 1:55 PM

Raymond, the tutorial saved the day for me. Thanks a lot. It worked perfectly well for me, however, after displaying the captured video, I was not able to upload video to external server. I did not observe any error report. Please, how can I successfully upload video after the display of the captured video?

Comment 74 (In reply to #73) by Raymond Camden posted on 10/3/2016 at 11:37 AM

You would use the FileTransfer plugin.

Comment 75 by Ionize posted on 10/17/2016 at 6:54 AM

Hi Raymond, is there anyway to create a File or a Blob from the MediaFile captured by the plugin? I've been struggling with making a file or blob to upload to a backend service.

Comment 76 (In reply to #75) by Raymond Camden posted on 10/17/2016 at 2:24 PM

I haven't done a lot with Blobs in JavaScript. I know you want to start by looking at ArrayBuffers. You *can* read in binary data using XHR (or the FIleSystem reader for Cordova). I'd say it's possible, but I haven't done much with it.

Wait. Hold on. If you just want to upload it, use the FileTransfer plugin. You've got the local path. That would be trivial.

Comment 77 by Todu Singh posted on 1/17/2017 at 8:57 AM

HI Raymond, How about recording using front camera only?

Comment 78 (In reply to #77) by Raymond Camden posted on 1/17/2017 at 12:40 PM

Check the plugin options - you may be able to select only one camera.

Comment 79 by Reza Rahmati posted on 3/8/2017 at 5:15 PM

Hi Raymond,
Thanks for great article
I want to keep recording video all the time, but only keeping last 2 minutes (on file), how can I do that?

Comment 80 (In reply to #79) by Raymond Camden posted on 3/8/2017 at 5:21 PM

As far as I know, you can't with the plugin as is. If the native SDK supports it, you could write your own plugin. Another option would be a 3rd party service that would trim the video for you. These exist, but you would have to upload the video first, and a long one would be a problem.

Comment 81 by Longqi Zhang posted on 4/13/2017 at 3:15 PM

I still need to click again after system camera page pop up. Is it possible that I can capture directly without manually click? The reason is that I need my program running automatically.

Comment 82 (In reply to #81) by Raymond Camden posted on 4/13/2017 at 8:05 PM

You can fire off the call to start the camera when the app loads - right?

Comment 83 by Neeraj posted on 5/11/2017 at 11:11 AM

how can i get base64 or blob after success of video ? After Success 's' is a [Object object](Object Array) and i need a [Object file] (Object File Array) to get base64 by using Filereader object . Please help me to get [Object file]. I am using worklight so any other way then let me know

Comment 84 (In reply to #83) by Raymond Camden posted on 5/11/2017 at 1:32 PM

You could read the file - remember you have the full path. The base64 string is going to be kinda huge though.

Comment 85 by Neeraj Shukla posted on 5/12/2017 at 6:25 PM

how should i upload it(Video) to server ? . I can't just save the video path if client delete the video then i won't be able to get the video so either base64 or blob or any other formate you know? please help

Comment 86 (In reply to #85) by Raymond Camden posted on 5/12/2017 at 9:01 PM

Look at the FileTransfer plugin.

Comment 87 by Trioxin posted on 7/9/2017 at 6:56 AM

I finally got it working on Android but the video doesn't show up after recording. Someone mentioned in a comment about file:// but I'm not sure how to implement the fix mentioned there. Could you please clarify? Thanks.

Comment 88 (In reply to #87) by Trioxin posted on 7/9/2017 at 10:25 PM

I got it to play. Must change to this:

v += "<source src="" + s[0].fullPath.replace("file://", "") + "" type="video/mp4">";

Comment 89 by Gerardo Marin posted on 7/17/2017 at 5:25 PM

Hello do you know if is possible to add text to video recording into ionic 1, thanks.

Comment 90 (In reply to #89) by Raymond Camden posted on 7/17/2017 at 5:33 PM

You mean text into the video itself? For that you would need to manipulate the binary of the video itself - and while it would (maybe) be possible in JS, I'd look at a third party service to do that instead.

Comment 91 (In reply to #90) by Gerardo Marin posted on 7/17/2017 at 5:47 PM

Hello Raymond thanks to response, I mean, I want to put a div canvas on the video while it is being recorded, do not put text inside the same video

Comment 92 (In reply to #91) by Raymond Camden posted on 7/17/2017 at 6:22 PM

So.... did you try just putting a div on it? Using absolute positioning?

Comment 93 (In reply to #92) by Gerardo Marin posted on 7/17/2017 at 6:25 PM

Comment 94 (In reply to #93) by Raymond Camden posted on 7/17/2017 at 6:27 PM

Ok. And.....? You need to provide more detail. What you tried, how it worked, or didn't work, etc.

Comment 95 (In reply to #94) by Gerardo Marin posted on 7/17/2017 at 7:09 PM

I have worked with the Cordoba camera plugin but I dont have idea how to put div in absolute position and still visible while recording the video

Comment 96 (In reply to #95) by Raymond Camden posted on 7/17/2017 at 7:11 PM

My CSS is pretty basic - I know it's something like

foo {
position:absolute;
top:something;
left:something;
}

Try the Mozilla Developer Network for more information on CSS in general.

Comment 97 (In reply to #96) by Gerardo Marin posted on 7/17/2017 at 7:46 PM

Thanks for advice, but when initializing camera I need to keep div

Comment 98 (In reply to #97) by Raymond Camden posted on 7/17/2017 at 9:53 PM

And? What about your work is not keeping the div? Are you saying you made a div, and then used a canvas, and it got rid of the div? Or covered it up?

Comment 99 (In reply to #98) by Gerardo Marin posted on 7/17/2017 at 10:06 PM

The problem is when active the camera, I need to keep the text while recording video like subtitles but in a div or canvas

Comment 100 (In reply to #99) by Raymond Camden posted on 7/18/2017 at 12:56 PM

Ah, so since it is using the system video recorder, it takes over the entire screen. You could look at something like WebRTC, but that's not supported in iOS10.

Comment 101 by Akash Pal posted on 7/22/2017 at 10:49 AM

There a major problem with the navigator.device.capture.captureVideo, it doesnt allow to set width and height. As such video size gets to 100 MB for 20 sec. On the other hand using the normal camera the size is 6MB for 20sec.

Comment 102 (In reply to #101) by Raymond Camden posted on 7/24/2017 at 1:16 AM

I'd suggest filing a bug report on the plugin.

Comment 103 by Moo posted on 12/29/2018 at 6:43 PM

Thanks, that helped a lot. I was missing the source tag and tried to add the source with an src attribute to the video.

Comment 104 by vivekanand mishra posted on 8/7/2020 at 9:52 AM

i am getting black scratched image screen after capture video not playing video why?

Comment 105 (In reply to #104) by Raymond Camden posted on 8/7/2020 at 2:53 PM