Ionic adds a new State feature

To be fair, this may not be very new, I've been working with an alpha version of the Ionic CLI while I test push (and other stuff ;) so my version has been a bit out of sync. Today I switched from the alpha to the release version and discovered a cool new feature - State.

The State feature lets you quickly save and restore plugins and platforms for an Ionic project. By default, when you add a platform or a plugin, Ionic will store this information in the package.json file. Here is an example of adding a platform:

ionic1

(And as an aside - did you notice it added icons and splashscreens? Freaking awesome.) And here is adding a new plugin:

ionic2

When done, here is how package.json is updated:

{
    "org.apache.cordova.device-motion"
  ],
  "cordovaPlatforms": [
    "ios"
  ]
}

To skip this, you can use --nosave for both platform and plugin modifications. Now comes the cool part. To quickly load in plugins and platforms, you can simply do:

ionic state restore

And Ionic will add in the appropriate plugins and platforms. This will be incredibly useful for folks checking out your Ionic project from a source control repository.

You can also do:

ionic state save

To store the current platforms and plugins to the package.json. I would imagine you would use this feature if you used the --nosave option to test a plugin you weren't sure you wanted to actually keep around.

You may want to remove everything. You can do this with:

ionic state clear

But be aware this really, really does remove everything, including the default plugins Ionic always install. Finally, you can do:

ionic state reset

This will remove everything then bring back what you have specified in the package.json file.

Comment 1 by Ajay Gupta posted on 12/10/2015 at 4:10 AM

@Raymond: As part of every mobile CI build within Hudson running on a Mac mini, "ionic state restore" takes a lot of time for us (about 8-10 minutes). Is there a way it can cache the plugins somewhere and restore stuff from the cache first and only add/remove plugins that don't exist in the plugins directory to speed up the build time?

Comment 2 (In reply to #1) by Raymond Camden posted on 12/10/2015 at 2:41 PM

Hmm - you got me on that. Sorry but I have to punt. I'd ask this on the Ionic forums, and if you get a response, please let me know.

Comment 3 by sflomenb posted on 7/26/2016 at 1:46 PM

Does 'ionic state clear' alter the package.json file?

Comment 4 (In reply to #3) by Raymond Camden posted on 7/26/2016 at 2:32 PM

What happens when you try? :)

Comment 5 by LeRoy Gumede posted on 1/16/2017 at 1:21 PM

one would think cordova plugins gets installed when you run "npm install" but from experience it looks like it does not.

Comment 6 (In reply to #5) by Raymond Camden posted on 1/16/2017 at 1:47 PM

Why would you think that? They aren't listed under dependencies.

Comment 7 (In reply to #6) by LeRoy Gumede posted on 1/16/2017 at 1:57 PM

Your right (thumbsup)

Comment 8 by Claudio Viola posted on 1/30/2017 at 2:02 PM

Hello Raymond Camden
Is it normal that in the package json in cordovaPlugins the version number of plugins is not stored?
I see stored the number version only in the config xml like this
<plugin name="cordova-plugin-google-analytics" spec="~1.7.4"/>

"~1.7.4" For my opinion in this way it's not good...
Because when I'll install the plugin in the future ionic'll install the latest version e not the specific. So I'm thinking to remove this "~" from config.xml
Or if exsist I could store the number version of plugins in package.json

Comment 9 (In reply to #8) by Raymond Camden posted on 1/30/2017 at 3:38 PM

I honestly don't know. I don't think I've played with this for a while. I'd suggest filing a bug report (well, it may not be a bug, but it would be worthwhile to see if the *intent* was to store the version) on the Apache Cordova side.

Comment 10 by Ganesh Rajan posted on 6/21/2017 at 10:31 AM

Seems like this commands are outdated. I'm getting the below error when i try to save the state. "Unable to find command: state save"

Comment 11 (In reply to #10) by Raymond Camden posted on 6/21/2017 at 12:33 PM

Always check the dates of posts - this is over two years old now. :)