My early access Cordova book is half off today!

camden_cover150Want a copy of my Apache Cordova book while it is still in development? If you order it today, you can get it half off with the following code: dotd030915au. Six of the twelve chapters are available with more coming very soon. (I'm about to turn in the tenth chapter in a couple of days.) Remember that this early access purchase gives you the entire book, not just what's available now. My book will walk you through installing the Android SDK and Cordova, building apps, and best practices. At half price I think it is a steal today - but I may be just a bit biased. ;)

wilken_cover150

While you're shopping, you should also pick up the early access addition of "Ionic in Action" - I did this morning. (And I'll review the book once complete.) You can also get this for fifty percent off using the same code. As much as I love Ionic, I don't cover it in my book as I figure there's enough going on without also asking the user to (potentially) learn Angular at the same time. Therefore, I think both books together would be a killer combination for someone hoping to get into hybrid development.

Comment 1 by Gary F posted on 3/9/2015 at 3:23 PM

Brilliant, I didn't know about your book or the early offer. Just ordered it. Thank you. I look forward to the "deploying to the stores" section. I want to start on a WinPhone 8 version of an app but it doesn't seem as simple as Android and isn't as well documented or blogged as the (complex) IOS process. i.e. how to install an app for testing on a physical phone. Good luck with the book, I hope you sell loads.

Comment 2 (In reply to #1) by Raymond Camden posted on 3/9/2015 at 3:27 PM

I have to be honest and say Windows Phone is *not* covered in that section. I'm doing Android and iOS only for that chapter. I'm more than willing to investigate and write it up in the future though.

Comment 3 (In reply to #1) by Matt Netkow, Ionic Team posted on 3/9/2015 at 5:40 PM

Hi Gary, if you happen to be a PhoneGap Build user, I've documented WinPhone here: http://netkow.com/post/8531.... Even if not, I discuss testing on an actual phone.

Comment 4 (In reply to #3) by Gary F posted on 3/9/2015 at 7:19 PM

Matt, thank you for pointing me to your blog entry. I do indeed use PGB so your guide will be very useful. Ray, I'll read anything you write so your Android/iOS coverage will be dandy. :-) I think Matt covers the WinPhone bits I got stuck on. I haven't ready any of your book yet, Ray, but it would be nice if it covered how to do push notifications. :-) There are quite a few push providers and a few of them provide Cordova plugins.

Comment 5 (In reply to #4) by Raymond Camden posted on 3/9/2015 at 7:51 PM

Gary, I feel like I'm batting a no hitter for you here. (I probably screwed up the baseball metaphor.) No, I do not cover push. That - to me - feels like something that has been covered in quite a few blog posts.

For my book - I tried to bring together the basic rules - the principles - of Cordova development together in one package. There's a lot of material out there and it's a bit disconnected. I think the strength of my book is that you have it in one place, and I focus on the guidelines, not necessarily a cookbook of "How do I do X in Cordova." Don't get me wrong, I think a cookbook is a great idea (Matt Gifford wrote one a few years ago), but that's not what I'm trying to achieve in my book

Make sense?

And - as an honest statement - if you buy my book and do NOT feel like I accomplished that, *please* do not hold back. Be honest. Let me know.

Comment 6 (In reply to #4) by Matt Netkow, Ionic Team posted on 3/9/2015 at 7:59 PM

Awesome! Happy to help.

Comment 7 (In reply to #5) by Gary F posted on 3/9/2015 at 8:12 PM

That's okay Ray. I'm sure there are lots of gems and nuggets in your book that will be useful. I've bought it so I will definitely read it. Thanks. :-)
BTW, your blog doesn't pick up Gravatar avatars when posting as a guest.

Comment 8 (In reply to #7) by Raymond Camden posted on 3/9/2015 at 8:16 PM

That's Disqus - I don't think I can tweak that.