Verified plugins site for Cordova applications

Currently the main site I use for finding Cordova plugins is plugins.cordova.io. Last week Telerik announced the creation of a new site, the Verified Plugins Marketplace. This site contains plugins that have been tested to ensure they work well and contain sample apps written with Kendo UI. I've often said that as a new Node developer, the availability of npm modules is both good and overwhelming as well. Having a curated, filtered list of plugins could be a huge benefit for Cordova/PhoneGap developers.

Raymond is a developer advocate for HERE Technologies. He focuses on JavaScript, serverless and enterprise cat demos. If you like this article, please consider visiting my Amazon Wishlist or donating via PayPal to show your support. You can even buy me a coffee!

Comment 1 by McGnarlySheen posted on 7/15/2014 at 5:03 PM

PlugReg is better than both the official cordova plugins site and this Telerik "verified" plugins site. (http://plugreg.com/)

Comment 2 by Raymond Camden posted on 7/15/2014 at 5:04 PM

Care to say why?

Comment 3 by McGnarlySheen posted on 7/15/2014 at 5:42 PM

Sorry I couldn't resist I'm being just as biased as Telerik's "verified" plugins site.

Comment 4 by McGnarlySheen posted on 7/15/2014 at 5:46 PM

OK... one issue I see with this "verified" plugin site is that there is no easy to way to contribute to this list (I'm guessing Eddie V. is doing all the "verifying", so he determines if your code stinks or not). I can see a situation where some great plugins don't make it into this curated list.

Comment 5 by Raymond Camden posted on 7/15/2014 at 6:48 PM

Well to be fair, a "curated" site means to me that someone is in charge of curating it. I think this is to be expected, don't you?

Comment 6 by McGnarlySheen posted on 7/15/2014 at 7:18 PM

Yeah you correct. I'm really sorry to react the way I have.

I saw this news on the PhoneGap blog and don't fully understand why it is there because its pretty much marketing for Telerik's platform services (which aren't free). However I can see this info being useful to those that are currently using Telerik's "UI for PhoneGap" so I guess I've lost this argument.

In my perspective most plugins are a hack because developers using PhoneGap are likely JS ninjas and not skilled in Objective-C/Java. Why would skilled Objective-C/Java coders create PhoneGap plugins if they don't use the platform? There is no need for them to make the "gap" and re-create a JS interface that communicates with the native side. I'm not trying to impose the PhoneGap team is not skilled in native code either.

Overall I'm sorry for trolling this post, I do appreciate your blog posts, you're welcome to delete these comments here.

Comment 7 by Raymond Camden posted on 7/15/2014 at 7:21 PM

Hey, no worries man. I don't mind. I do think you bring up some interesting points.

First, two Telerik being a commercial entity - I think commercial services offered around an open source platform are good. It just improves what you can do with the platform, know what I mean?

I do not agree about your plugin statement though. Plugins fill a role, and yes, they are developed by people who know the native language, but they help those of using Cordova to build better apps, so the 'why' is pretty obvious. And heck, maybe they build em because they are paid to do so. ;)

Also - some folks know both. I know a bit of ObjectiveC myself.

Comment 8 by Shazron posted on 7/20/2014 at 5:47 AM

It is not a zero-sum game. Helping grow the community helps us all.
Like any framework with associated plugins, there will be hacks and there will be excellent code.