Recording: Debugging Mobile Applications Presentation

Thank you to everyone who attended (not sure how many - 20+ I think?) my Google Hangout presentation today. I think I'm getting used to the platform but as always, if anyone has any tips for how I could do these better, I'll gladly listen to your advice. You can watch the recording below. I'm not attaching the slide deck as there aren't any 'real' demo files for you to play with, but if anyone really wants it, I will.

Raymond is a developer advocate for HERE Technologies. He focuses on JavaScript, serverless and enterprise cat demos. If you like this article, please consider visiting my Amazon Wishlist or donating via PayPal to show your support. You can even buy me a coffee!

Comment 1 by Gary F posted on 4/19/2014 at 4:41 AM

An excellent overview of every debug option - thank you, Ray. I had no idea that Chrome v32+ had a built-in debugger for Android. I'm gutted I can't get it to work, it doesn't see my Galaxy S4. But I find Weinre (via PhoneGap Build) is great even if it lacks the remote browser view and remote control.

Comment 2 by Sergio Martínez posted on 4/19/2014 at 6:15 PM

Very, very useful information, I've been working with PhoneGap lately and I didn't know how to debug my apps efficiently. Thanks, Ray!

Comment 3 by dan posted on 4/21/2014 at 2:34 AM

very helpful, thanks.

I have a strange issue when I use safari for debugging phone gap applications on the iOS simulator or on a real device, I'm able to select my app and view all css and see the selected elements when I select them in the developer console but for some reason the breakpoints don't work for me, I'm able to set breakpoints but the debugger never stops when a breakpoint is reached, maybe you encountered this before?

Comment 4 by Raymond Camden posted on 4/21/2014 at 2:45 AM

Are you doing something 'special' with your JS, like loading it later?

Comment 5 by dan posted on 4/21/2014 at 2:48 AM

I'm using ionic as my application framework, maybe they are doing something 'special'?
I guess I should try it with a simpler app first

Comment 6 by Raymond Camden posted on 4/21/2014 at 3:00 AM

I just tested w/ an ionic project, using ios 7.1 simulator, and the debugger worked.

Comment 7 by dan posted on 4/21/2014 at 3:04 AM

I believe it used to work in the past but suddenly something changed and the breakpoints stopped working (I don't think I did something special).

Comment 8 by Raymond Camden posted on 4/21/2014 at 5:33 PM

I'd probably suggest seeing if you can reproduce it consistently and if so - file a bug report with them. In my test, I used the default virgin project (tabs I think).

Comment 9 by Sophiya Gibson posted on 4/24/2014 at 10:42 AM

Wow!! That's really nice to introduce debugging mobile applications in your presentation.

Comment 10 by Ami Gandhi posted on 7/4/2014 at 8:52 PM

Hi Raymond! I must tell it's a nice presentation for mobile debugging.