Dynamically Creating CSV Files on the Client

A reader posed an interesting question on one of my ColdFusion posts recently. The post (Creating an Excel File) demonstrated how to take form data on the front end and create an Excel file via ColdFusion when the form is submitted. The user wanted to know if this could be done entirely client-side.

The latest versions of Office use an XML based file format contained within a zip file. There is a good JS library for working with zips and as it turns out - there is a JS library for XLSX as well: https://github.com/stephen-hardy/xlsx.js. While this would possibly work, I thought there might be a simpler way using CSV, or comma-separated value files.

About two years ago I wrote a piece on exporting data from IndexedDB. It used string data and a data url to create a link to a virtual representation of the data. Combining this with the download attribute of the anchor tag, it is possible to push a download of a fake file to the user.

Therefore - all we need to do is create a CSV string. I built a simple, but ugly demo, that consists of a few rows of text fields.

The user can then enter values into the columns and get a CSV file by clicking the button. Let's look at the JavaScript code.

$(document).ready(function() {
	var $link = $("#dataLink");
	var $nameFields = $(".nameField");
	var $cookieFields = $(".cookieField");

$("#downloadLink").on("click", function(e) {
		var csv = "";
		//we should have the same amount of name/cookie fields
		for(var i=0; i<$nameFields.length; i++) {
			var name = $nameFields.eq(i).val();
			var cookies = $cookieFields.eq(i).val();
			if(name !== '' && cookies !== '') csv += name + "," + cookies + "\n";
		}
		console.log(csv);

});
});

The code begins with the click handler for the download button. All I have to do is generate my CSV string by looping over the rows of fields. To be fair, my CSV handling could be a bit nicer. A name can include a comma so I should probably wrap the value in quotes, but I think you get the idea.

Once we have the CSV, we then use the same method I used on the IndexedDB post and force the download. On my system, this creates a file that opens in Excel just fine.

It also worked in OpenOffice once I told it to use commas. Want to try it yourself? Hit the demo link below.

Edit: Big thanks to @Laurence below who figured out that I didn't need a particular hack to get my click event working for downloads. That cut out about 50% of the code I had before. Thanks Laurence!

Comment 1 by Laurence posted on 4/3/2014 at 8:24 PM

I think you can just chain a click() event to your link attribute setting.
$link.attr("href",'data:Application/octet-stream,'+encodeURIComponent(csv)).click();

Comment 2 by Laurence posted on 4/3/2014 at 9:04 PM

Never mind. I just realized that I copied document.ready into the fiddle twice, but the second one was off screen so didn't see it.

Comment 3 by Ty Whalin posted on 4/3/2014 at 9:46 PM

Nice work Ray. Can definitely find some use of this snippet of code you created. Not sure just when yet, but I am sure I can think of something to make use of this code.

Comment 4 by Raymond Camden posted on 4/3/2014 at 10:26 PM

@Laurence: So are you saying there IS a better way for my hack or there isn't?

Comment 5 by Laurence posted on 4/3/2014 at 10:42 PM

I thought just adding .click() to the end of your $link call was working but then realized I had the call $(document).ready() twice and the second instance still referenced your fakeClick() function, and so I what I though was working was not.

So I played around with the code a bit more and if you change to the following, it seems to work (at least in Chrome and FF)

Comment 6 by Raymond Camden posted on 4/3/2014 at 10:49 PM

Damn tootin - yeah - that worked. Will update the post now.

Then I'll delete your comments, block anyone with your name, take credit, sell to Facebook, become rich, AND BUY SHARKS WITH LASER BEAMS!

Comment 7 by Laurence posted on 4/3/2014 at 11:10 PM

This is not the comment you are looking for ;-) Call off the sharks. You're still referencing fakeClick() in the code above, the demo looks correct. Thanks Ray!

Comment 8 by Raymond Camden posted on 4/3/2014 at 11:37 PM

Oops, fixed for reals this time.

Comment 9 by matharoo posted on 4/5/2014 at 9:01 AM

thats a sleek solution for csv files via jquery.. small and powerful.. thanks for sharing! :)

Comment 10 by Ty Whalin posted on 4/7/2014 at 6:15 AM

Get some pet dolphins if you need to call off the sharks. :)

Comment 11 by Gaurav Mishra posted on 8/11/2014 at 9:31 AM

Not working in IE

Comment 12 by Raymond Camden posted on 8/11/2014 at 2:44 PM

What version of IE? When you open up IE's dev tools, what error do you see? If no error, use debugging and figure out where it is failing.

Comment 13 by ahsan posted on 9/10/2014 at 4:32 PM

what if i want to run that code on android device

Comment 14 by Raymond Camden posted on 9/10/2014 at 6:10 PM

Did you try it?

Comment 15 by Mohsen posted on 10/6/2014 at 9:47 AM

Can we use this code in phonegap?

Comment 16 by Raymond Camden posted on 10/6/2014 at 2:30 PM

Comment 17 by Mohsen posted on 10/8/2014 at 9:32 PM

This code work well in browsers, but in phonegap nothing happended. I used :

<a href=# class="ui-btn" id="save"> Save to a text file </a>
<a href="" id="dataLink" download="data.csv"></a>
in index.html file of www folder, and:
$("#save").on ("tap", function (event)
{
var $link = $("#dataLink");
var csv = "";

db.transaction (function (transaction)
{
var sql = "SELECT * FROM datastorage";
transaction.executeSql (sql, undefined,
function (transaction, result)
{
if (result.rows.length)
{
for (var i = 0; i < result.rows.length; i++)
{

}
}, error);
});
});
in a .js file.

Comment 18 by Raymond Camden posted on 10/8/2014 at 9:57 PM

Did you see anything when you debugged? Use Remote Debugging.

Comment 19 by sarika posted on 10/13/2014 at 10:18 AM

if this workes in mobile app?

Comment 20 by Raymond Camden posted on 10/13/2014 at 2:26 PM

Comment 21 by sarika posted on 10/13/2014 at 4:23 PM

As i tried in my App ,its working Great on Browser But not downloading any file in App.

Comment 22 by Raymond Camden posted on 10/13/2014 at 6:30 PM

When you check with remote debugging, do you see anything in the console?

Comment 23 by Raymond Camden posted on 10/13/2014 at 6:40 PM

Ok, so I tested in both Android/iOS, and it doesn't work. Of course, if you use Cordova/PhoneGap you could easily save it.

Comment 24 by Mohsen posted on 10/14/2014 at 1:17 PM

Excuse me for delay,
I tested my app (created by phonegap) in an android 4.2.2 device. Chrome Remote Debugging is used with an Android 4.4 device. I should test the app again with this device.
Mohsen

Comment 25 by Raymond Camden posted on 10/14/2014 at 2:08 PM

You don't really need to - it fails. :) But in PhoneGap I'd just use the FileSystem API.

Comment 26 by Mohsen posted on 10/16/2014 at 12:12 AM

Hello,

I test the app with File plugin for phonegap. It works well.

code:
$("#save").on ("tap", function (event)
{
/*var $link = $("#dataLink");*/
var csv = "";

db.transaction (function (transaction)
{
var sql = "SELECT * FROM datastorage";
transaction.executeSql (sql, undefined,
function (transaction, result)
{
if (result.rows.length)
{
for (var i = 0; i < result.rows.length; i++)
{
var row = result.rows.item (i);
var id = row.id;
var data = row.data;
var book = row.book;
var page = row.page;

csv += id + "," + data + "," + book + "," + page + "\n";
}
console.log(csv);
/*$link.attr("href", 'data:Application/octet-stream,' + encodeURIComponent(csv))[0].click();*/

// request the persistent file system
window.requestFileSystem(LocalFileSystem.PERSISTENT, 0, gotFS, fail);
function gotFS(fileSystem) {
console.log(fileSystem.name);
fileSystem.root.getFile("data.csv", {create: true, exclusive: false, append: true}, gotFileEntry, fail);
}

}
}, error);
});
});

Mohsen

Comment 27 by Manish posted on 12/2/2014 at 9:52 AM

Hey Raymond, I have been trying this code but seems to be working ONLY in Chrome and Firefox, it doesnt work in Internet Explorer. I verified in the Developer Tools and found the below error message:

"The data area passed to a system call is too small."

Do you have any suggestions or any sample on fiddle that works with IE, would appreciate if you can share.

Thanks in advance!!

Regards,
Manish

Comment 28 (In reply to #27) by Raymond Camden posted on 12/2/2014 at 11:37 AM

Where did that call come from? In other words, where exactly does it break down?

Comment 29 by rio posted on 12/5/2018 at 11:36 AM

hey Raymond...thank you for the code.i got some link..but Im trying to add some more input fields at that time i got stucked ..please give me some hint...

Comment 30 (In reply to #29) by Raymond Camden posted on 12/6/2018 at 4:36 PM

I'm sorry - can you provide a bit more detail?

Comment 31 by rio posted on 12/7/2018 at 3:38 AM

Hello..actually I want to create dynamic table and save that table to csv file

Comment 32 (In reply to #31) by Raymond Camden posted on 12/8/2018 at 4:15 PM

Ok I still need more details though. What did you try, what happened, etc.