Webinar - Back to the Edge

Many months ago I participated in a tour where we showcased some of our initiatives to help make the web a better place. This involved our efforts with web standards as well as our Edge suite of tools.

These tools have come a long way since their initial release and I thought it would be great to give people an update on some of these tools and demonstrate how far they've come. If you've never tried them, then this will be an excellent way to check them out. If you have tried them before, then this is a chance to see where they are now.

On Friday October 11th at 12PM CST, I'll be hosting a Google Hangout focused on Edge Animate, Edge Reflow, Edge Code/Brackets, and Edge Inspect. I'll be joined by fellow evangelists Paul Trani and Serge Jespers.

To be clear, this is absolutely free and online only. All you need is a browser and some free time. The session will last for two hours with thirty minutes dedicated to each tool. If you have any questions, just comment below, and as I normally do with these online sessions, I'd love to get a basic idea of who is going to show up, so if you think you can, leave me a RSVP below!

Comment 1 by Barry Crowey posted on 10/1/2013 at 6:15 PM

Really sounds great Ray, thank you for doing this. I've wanted to learn more about the Edge Tools and seeing them in action will be ideal. Will you be providing sign-up details?

Comment 2 by Raymond Camden posted on 10/1/2013 at 6:16 PM

Sign up will just be going to the URL. This will be my first Hangout I'm running myself so I'm still figuring out the details.

Comment 3 by Craig Inman posted on 10/1/2013 at 7:46 PM

Sounds like a great way to get some familiarity with these tools. Sign me up or let me know where to RSVP if this isn't it. :)

Comment 4 by Milton Lapido posted on 10/1/2013 at 11:13 PM

Count me in.

Comment 5 by Raymond Camden posted on 10/1/2013 at 11:16 PM

@Craig: No sign up - just the comment is fine.

Comment 6 by JP Barnard posted on 10/2/2013 at 4:00 PM

Should be great to see the tools in action and what they are about

Comment 7 by Jason posted on 10/2/2013 at 6:00 PM

I'll be checking in

Comment 8 by Samྮl Jónasson posted on 10/3/2013 at 2:23 AM

Sounds like two hours well spent.

Comment 9 by Samྮl Jónasson posted on 10/3/2013 at 2:27 AM

Oops. That was 12pm CST. I wont be able to make it.

Comment 10 by Strack posted on 10/3/2013 at 7:35 AM

Ray, I'll do my very best to be there and support you. Awesome idea, and I'm sure the execution is going to be awesome sauce. I can't wait!

Comment 11 by Jaana Gilbert posted on 10/3/2013 at 4:03 PM

I have them through the monthly subscription, so now it's time to learn more about them.

Comment 12 by Liz Myers posted on 10/5/2013 at 3:29 PM

This sounds great - very timely. But I will be traveling next Friday. Any chance this will be recorded? Or perhaps offered again later in the month/year? Thank you!

Comment 13 by Raymond Camden posted on 10/5/2013 at 3:30 PM

From what I know, Hangouts auto-record to YouTube, so yep.

Comment 14 by Rob Sherman posted on 10/8/2013 at 2:04 AM

Would love to check it out! I don't know nearly enough about all the tools in the Creative Suite and haven't been exposed to what they do.

Comment 15 by Raymond Camden posted on 10/10/2013 at 11:19 PM

Folks, I posted the new URL here:

Comment 16 by Annie Hart posted on 10/15/2013 at 1:46 AM

Damn, wish I'd seen this in time!
In over my head on a project in Adobe Edge and would have enjoyed your insight.
Found your posts on delaying assets until visible—looking for a similar solution for buttons (that in turn trigger other buttons). Have an interactive diagram with 5 primary buttons, each enabling a subset of buttons that make another subset of items visible, but then all need to be toggled off as well.
It's functional right now, but so full of clickable "hot spots" it's extremely glitchy.
Any suggestions?
(Resisting starting with "Help me Obi-Wan...")

Comment 17 by Raymond Camden posted on 10/15/2013 at 1:52 AM

Annie, first off, don't forget you can watch the recording here:

As to your question, I think I'd need a bit more data. You say it works, but is glitchy. So is it slow or something? Is it online where we can see?

Comment 18 by Annie Hart posted on 10/16/2013 at 5:51 AM

Excellent! Can't wait to watch! Thanks.

Here's the graphic: http://womanabuse.ca/polici...

I know it's clumsy, but is about at the extent of my capabilities.

The issue, of course: numerous "buttons" that remain active even when not visible. Random clicking triggers non-visible items. I tried to stagger them to prevent too much overlap, but that also restricts the amount of space and, as a result, the text size.

Really appreciate your feedback.

Comment 19 by Raymond Camden posted on 10/16/2013 at 5:46 PM

Yowsa, you weren't kidding - that is huge. Um... I'd probably recommend taking a step back. Start a new project with just two things to click and see if you can recreate the issue in a much smaller project. Then we can debug with that.

Comment 20 by Annie Hart posted on 10/17/2013 at 3:55 AM

Thanks, Raymond.
May not be until the weekend that I have a chance to start...

Comment 21 by Wordpress Webinar Plugin posted on 10/22/2013 at 10:51 PM

i am building an overlay video for my site easysummit its a webinar plugin for wordpress. the model was from fiver and used a white background... so now when i remove the white it takes out her teeth :) funny i know... would this edge stuff help