Topic Undefined - Episode 2

And now for the second episode of the Topic Undefined podcast I'm doing with Brian Rinaldi. Any listeners so far? Any constructive feedback?

Topic Undefined - Episode 2

Comment 1 by Phillip Senn posted on 7/16/2013 at 7:25 PM

I listened to the first episode on iTunes because I'm your biggest fan.
Not sure how I found it from the previous blog post because searching for "Topic Undefined" produced 0 results.

You can actually search for "Raymond Camden" in iTunes and it brings up three (3) books and an unrelated iTunes U episode from Dr. Raymond at Camden County something.

Even though I'm subscribed (with auto download turned on), the 2nd episode hasn't been put into my library yet.

Comment 2 by Raymond Camden posted on 7/16/2013 at 7:30 PM

I think we are going to look at getting into the iTunes Podcast directory soon.

Comment 3 by Brian Rinaldi posted on 7/16/2013 at 7:33 PM

I submitted it to iTunes just the other day but, as is typical, they have a review process. It should be listed there at some point in the next few days whenever the review is complete. I am also looking into other ways to promote the podcast so that it is more easily found, but, having never promoted a podcast, it is a learning experience :)

Comment 4 by Phillip Senn posted on 7/16/2013 at 7:43 PM

This might be the right blog entry to talk about methods of podcast assimilation. Just last night I bought an FM transmitter for my car stereo because that was cheaper than buying a new system.

Previously I've burned CDs to listen to while driving. That's ok but is kind of so last century.

The next step up would be to get a new radio with a flash drive where I could burn my podcasts onto a keychain. Just one step up from burning CDs.

I've tried the cassette adapter technique, but it's just too clumsy plugging in this and plugging in that. Sitting in a hot car makes every muscle movement a study in UI and you don't want to be fiddling with plugging things in after you've started driving away.
Plus the cassette started 'skipping'. Yeah, I've still got a cassette player in my car.

The next step up would be bluetooth, but that's not as optimal as the radio is - with the radio, when you turn on the ignition, the radio is on. With bluetooth, I'd have to start the car and then fiddle with the smart phone to navigate to the podcast that you were last listening to. Sometimes that's as easy as double tapping on the button and then pressing play.

So I'm pondering getting a new radio with bluetooth, plus maybe a flash drive to spare, and going ahead and replacing the speakers while I'm at it.

Comment 5 by Raymond Camden posted on 7/16/2013 at 7:52 PM

My car has a CF card reader. Never used it.

Comment 6 by Nathan Strutz posted on 7/16/2013 at 8:20 PM

I listened to the first one. I liked it. I'm a little behind on podcasts this week (vacation recovery), but I think you guys are doing great, you're interesting and the content is relevant to the stuff I do, so keep it up. I'm looking forward to listing to #2 as well. Also, I reserve the right to criticize later on, you know, because i'm such a hater. Anyway, I appreciate what you guys do, thanks and keep it up.

Comment 7 by Phillip Senn posted on 7/16/2013 at 8:30 PM

So Ray, your car has a CompactFlash card reader and you've never used it.

But do you listen to podcasts in the car?
If so, what type of setup do you have and how easy is it to pick up where you last left off?
Podcasts are a little bit harder to digest than audio books because audio books are generally on CD. When you start the car they automatically start playing again. With podcasts, there's all kinds of fiddling you have to do to get it started after the cars been started.

Comment 8 by Raymond Camden posted on 7/16/2013 at 8:58 PM

@Nathan: Absolutely - please do!

@Phillip: Nope, I don't. Keep in mind I work at home. My "commute" time is 0. ;)

Comment 9 by Micah posted on 7/17/2013 at 7:00 AM

Does your stereo support re-writeable CD's? A lot do and that would be a good interim solution.

Comment 10 by Julian Halliwell posted on 7/18/2013 at 10:59 AM

Raymond, I liked the first episode so much I subscribed to the RSS feed, but the second episode is not showing up there (as I write): http://feeds.feedburner.com...

Comment 11 by Phillip Senn posted on 7/18/2013 at 5:33 PM

Thanks Micah. I hadn't thought of that.
Yeah, playing CDs is so much more fluid. To turn them off, you just hit the car's radio button. To turn off a podcast on my phone, I sometimes have to navigate. I'll buy a stack of re-writeable CDs and see if they work.

Comment 12 by Raymond Camden posted on 7/18/2013 at 8:16 PM

Julian, I yelled at Brian. He knows now. ;) Just so we're clear - Brian does all the hard work for this podcast. I'm just the pretty face.

Comment 13 by Brian Rinaldi posted on 7/18/2013 at 9:48 PM

Julian, thanks for letting me know. I think I fixed the issue and espisode 2 is now appearing on the feed. Let me know if it doesn't appear fixed on your end.