The official, real launch of JavaScriptCookbook

For a week or so now I've been talking about my plans to create a web site in Node and Express. I finally decided to pull the trigger and upgrade my AppFog account. I'm now running JavaScriptCookbook.com with a real domain and am really (honest!) ready for submissions. As I stated originally, my goal here is to create a site that shares a set of common problems (and solutions!) that folks run into with JavaScript. Yes, there is Stackoverflow. I use it myself. But I wanted a site that would be more of a directory. Something more focused and easy to search. Hell, maybe it won't take off. If I don't get any submissions than I'll still use it myself. But I hope folks can find some use in it - and even better - help contribute.

One of my biggest concerns with client-side development lately is that there seems to be a wealth of information for beginners - some more information for experts - but not a lot in the middle. Folks who know JavaScript but need help in using it better.

I hope this site can be some help in that regard.

Finally, if you want to check out the code behind the site (and feel free to critique it, I'm new to Node), you can find it on GitHub here: https://github.com/cfjedimaster/javascriptcookbook

p.s. Anyone want to come up with a nice favicon? I can pay you with unicorns and magic!

Comment 1 by Gareth Arch posted on 6/20/2013 at 6:40 PM

Getting this when I visit the site

We're really sorry, but it looks like the site you're attempting to navigate to is unable to respond. Please check back in a few moments.

Comment 2 by Raymond Camden posted on 6/20/2013 at 6:44 PM

I forgot to make it support "www". Please test now. Fixed.

Comment 3 by Gareth Arch posted on 6/20/2013 at 6:44 PM

There we go :)

Comment 4 by Phillip Senn posted on 6/20/2013 at 7:04 PM

I'm so embedded with jQuery that all my useful snippets use it.
Would I have to write them in pure js for them to be approved?

Here's an example:

$('form').on('click','input:submit[name="Delete"][value="Delete"]',function() {
return window.confirm(this.title || 'Delete this record?');
});

Comment 5 by Jose A. Garza posted on 6/20/2013 at 7:09 PM

If this is where you're going. . .

'One of my biggest concerns with client-side development lately...'

I'm in. . .

Comment 6 by Raymond Camden posted on 6/20/2013 at 7:14 PM

Phillip: I wouldn't say I'm against jQuery. I would say that I prefer to go w/o a framework and show folks the nuts and bolts. That's my thinking now.

Comment 7 by Raymond Camden posted on 6/20/2013 at 7:18 PM

Jose: It is something I'm kinda passionate about now. I think it is where I can have the most impact in this community.

Comment 8 by Toppa Hawley posted on 6/20/2013 at 7:32 PM

Oh Ray. Stick to ColdFusion, buddy.

Comment 9 by Raymond Camden posted on 6/20/2013 at 7:33 PM

You betcha, Toppa. ;) Been a while man, where ya been?

Comment 10 by Toppa Hawley posted on 6/20/2013 at 7:36 PM

You blocked me the last time I hurt your feelings. Friends? *hugz*

Comment 11 by Scott Stroz posted on 6/20/2013 at 7:44 PM

How is it you attract such a diverse group of douches, Ray?

Comment 12 by Raymond Camden posted on 6/20/2013 at 7:46 PM

Heh, the thing about Topper/Toppa is that s/he is the slowest troll I've ever seen. Maybe 1 post every 4 months. I've asked - numerous times - if s/he would like to *really* engage in conversation about whatever problem s/he has with me, but s/he never responded. Meh. Anyone so lame as to troll anonymously is probably at home in their parents basement working on their level 85 warrior in Warcraft. ;)

Comment 13 by Zach Shallbetter posted on 6/20/2013 at 8:20 PM

I would really like to be able to subscribe to the feed. Any intention of adding that in the future?

Comment 14 by Raymond Camden posted on 6/20/2013 at 8:24 PM

In theory I could add a RSS feed in seconds. I thought about it but didn't add it.

Comment 15 by Zach Shallbetter posted on 6/20/2013 at 8:27 PM

I like the idea and would love to to watch and contribute. However, I can forsee myself forgetting to check in without an rss feed.

Comment 16 by Raymond Camden posted on 6/20/2013 at 8:58 PM

I've added it, but not deployed it yet. If you check Github you can see it there.

I'm adding one more feature for the next deployment, and that is a "select all and dump to JSON" feature. I'll be honest and say that only reason I'm adding is that - unlike with MySQL - I don't know how to do a database backup.

Comment 17 by Zach Shallbetter posted on 6/20/2013 at 9:13 PM

It would be really cool to allow users to revise or add alternatives to the original post. This would ultimately lead to an array of good solutions.

Perhaps a user would post an alternative method, it would receive a number of stars, the system would then move it in place or adjacent to the original post.

Just an idea based on this thread. http://www.javascriptcookbo...

Comment 18 by Jose A. Garza posted on 6/20/2013 at 9:55 PM

It's not that I'm against frameworks, they most definitely save time. Sometimes though, they're overkill. . .

Comment 19 by Raymond Camden posted on 6/20/2013 at 10:08 PM

Zach, I'd need to set up user accounts and it would be a lot more work.

Comment 20 by Jeff Schaefer posted on 6/20/2013 at 10:26 PM

Fantastic! As more than a beginner but not quite an expert in Javascript, I could really find the in-between stuff helpful in developing a solid understanding of best-practices and improving my basic skills.

One suggestion: Some way to mark a post/technique/etc when it becomes outdated or no longer valid/supported. At some point certain methods or property names will change, or be replaced by another technique to achieve the same thing. I think it would be helpful to link the "old way" with the "new way" somehow, or just to plainly show that Technique A worked back in 2008, but its not really used anymore because Technique B is much better/faster/simpler/etc.

Comment 21 by Raymond Camden posted on 6/20/2013 at 10:32 PM

I think what I'll do is use commenting for that. I can see adding a comment, "Here is the old code I had that I replaced on date X cuz technique Y doesn't make sense."

Comment 22 by Raymond Camden posted on 6/20/2013 at 10:51 PM

RSS is live now. Support for 'More Info' as a property is live. (Although not using it yet.)

Comment 23 by JP posted on 6/21/2013 at 1:52 AM

Nice work Ray! I can see how this could turn into a really useful site. I wonder how you can make it more than just a searchable collection of articles. Seems like being able to browse a TOC might be helpful, or even adding some chat rooms so that people can get instant help from the community. You may be thinking pure JS right now, which is definitely useful, but not many people code strictly in pure JS. Might as well create space for all the popular frameworks and libraries.

Comment 24 by Raymond Camden posted on 6/21/2013 at 2:13 AM

I'm actually trying *not* to have it grow. I'd rather keep it simple and direct. As it stands, I know that some frameworks already have their own cookbook. There's one being worked on now for jQuery Mobile.

Comment 25 by JP posted on 6/21/2013 at 2:38 AM

Well, it's your site! :) As a counterpoint, the name "JavaScript Cookbook" is, by the nature of its name, common to all frameworks, and therefore, my guess is that your users would want a place to discuss the gamut of everything JS. Just my take on it, for what it's worth.

Comment 26 by Steve posted on 6/21/2013 at 1:51 PM

Hey Ray, just a friendly comment to let you know I can't view your site. I get a 'unable to respond' type page referring to appfrog instead. I'll check again later. Sounds good though!

Comment 27 by Steve posted on 6/21/2013 at 3:50 PM

Haha! "AppFog"... Sorry, bad phone typing skills.

Comment 28 by Raymond Camden posted on 6/21/2013 at 5:35 PM

Steve, when did you notice this? The site crashed overnight and I restarted it around 7. I see your comments are at 6:50 my time, so that was it.

As an FYI, I do not know why it crashed. I've got a support ticket open with AppFog.

When I hear more, I'll share my experience so folks can know.

To me - how a company handles a problem is a HUGE indicator of their value. :)

Comment 29 by Steve posted on 6/22/2013 at 7:12 AM

Yeah it was at the time of my comment. I'm in Australia so an off time for you guys and thought maybe it was even related to maintenance or something. I didn't think much of it but thought I'd just let you know.

I'm with you on judging value based on a company's reaction and response! It goes a long way. :-)

Comment 30 by Zach Shallbetter posted on 6/23/2013 at 8:15 PM

The links from the RSS feed are not pointing to the correct location. Article is missing an "L".

Comment 31 by Raymond Camden posted on 6/23/2013 at 10:13 PM

Ugh. Thanks, updating right now.

Comment 32 by Raymond Camden posted on 6/23/2013 at 10:14 PM

If you could confirm the fix, I'd appreciate it.

Comment 33 by Zach Shallbetter posted on 6/28/2013 at 12:57 AM

Post descriptions are not supporting character entities.

Example:
"Worker location is determined relative to the html page not to the script that calls them. So if you need to call a worker from a script that might be called as <src='script.js'> on one page and <src='js/script.js'> on another this pattern lets you avoid using absolute URLs."

Comment 34 by Raymond Camden posted on 6/28/2013 at 3:31 AM

Thanks - I forgot I was already escaping the input.