Looking for ColdFusion support in Brackets?

Were you waiting to check out Brackets until ColdFusion support was available? Good news - Reto Aeberli has released an extension that provides basic support for ColdFusion. It doesn't support functions or cfscript yet, but it is an excellent start. You can download the extension from the web site he created: http://cfbrackets.org/

Comment 1 by Ty Whalin posted on 6/14/2013 at 4:59 PM

Not sure of the significance of this extension? Is this something that can be added in for DW?

Comment 2 by Raymond Camden posted on 6/14/2013 at 5:14 PM

Ty, have you not heard of Brackets? Follow the link in the entry above (the first link). It is an open source light-weight editor for web developers. Yes, DW exists, as does ColdFusion Builder. Personally, I prefer Brackets.

Comment 3 by Reto Aeberli posted on 6/14/2013 at 5:18 PM

I just uploaded a new website and made different extension zips for the cfml versions (CF7 - 10), so there is no need to rename the files manually in the extension directory.

Comment 4 by Ty Whalin posted on 6/14/2013 at 5:21 PM

Nope that was a first for me. Checked out the site but it was not much of a site. More searching needed to learn about it. Hope you can understand what I am trying to say on the cfindex post. No hurry just a simple problem, will probably figured it out by day's end. Enjoy the weekend.

Comment 5 by Raymond Camden posted on 6/14/2013 at 5:23 PM

If you want, you can hit me up on IM (raymondcamden at gmail dot com) (that's Google Talk obviously). May be easier. I use a third party IM client so if you do try to add me and I don't respond, ping me via email.

Comment 6 by Mikel posted on 6/14/2013 at 6:23 PM

I like Brackets and I'm definitely enjoying the CF extension (thanks Reto)! One feature request that I have is the ability to collapse code blocks. Or am I simply just overlooking how to do that?

Comment 7 by Raymond Camden posted on 6/14/2013 at 6:26 PM

Brackets doesn't support that in general. You should check the backlog for it: http://bit.ly/BracketsBacklog

Comment 8 by Matt posted on 6/14/2013 at 6:32 PM

Thanks for sharing this. I have switch to brackets from coldfusion builder (eclipse is too heavy in my opinion). This will speed up my coding in brackets quite a bit.

Comment 9 by Raymond Camden posted on 6/14/2013 at 6:36 PM

I will warn you that Brackets still has a few rough edges. It wasn't until Sprint 25 that you could refresh the sidebar. That being said, I switched over to Brackets full time (mostly) at Sprint 24 and I'm loving it.

Comment 10 by Tim Brown posted on 6/14/2013 at 7:30 PM

Very excited about this but get an extension install error on windows 7. Used extension manager and manually extracted zip, but both resulted in the same extension error message in the extension manager window.

Comment 11 by Raymond Camden posted on 6/14/2013 at 7:32 PM

When you open the dev console (Brackets / Debug / Show Developer Tools) do you see a specific error?

Comment 12 by Tim Brown posted on 6/14/2013 at 7:40 PM

Failed to load resource file://theServerName/TerminalServicesHomeDirectory/timbrown/Application%20Data/Brackets/extensions/user/cfbrackets-cf9/CfmlTags.json.js

and many more like it for the other extension files...

Computer is on a domain and my Application Data folder resides on the terminal server. Any way to re-install brackets and/or specifiy a different install location for extensions?

Comment 13 by Raymond Camden posted on 6/14/2013 at 7:42 PM

Um... wow. I've got no idea about that. I don't run Windows, but when I did, Brackets installed to a 'normal' folder, I mean the extensions stuff. I've never seen it use a terminal window thingy. Are you running via RDP or something weird?

Comment 14 by larde pierre posted on 6/14/2013 at 7:59 PM

Is this depending on the html editor used ?
I am still using Homesite since V3 of CF, and Homesite gives this feature, extactly the same, for all tags.
But Homesite is dead and not supported anymore,
So it does not have the extensions for CF9 and 10,
it stoppped at CF V8.

Comment 15 by Raymond Camden posted on 6/14/2013 at 8:07 PM

larde: If you are interested in CF development, you may want to consider ColdFusion Builder. I prefer Brackets as I do much more HTML/JS/CSS work then CF these days. If you haven't checked it out, I recommend doing so. It is free for 30 days, *and* free after that as well, but some features are removed. Certainly try Brackets as well, but you kinda sound like a person who may prefer CFB.

Comment 16 by Joe Bermudez posted on 6/14/2013 at 8:10 PM

Does brackets have a good FTP extension? I really like that functionality in DW, one of the reasons I'm still using it.

Comment 17 by Raymond Camden posted on 6/14/2013 at 8:15 PM

Joe, no. You can see a list of extensions here: https://github.com/adobe/br...

Obviously there may be more extensions than on that list, but that's the list of folks who care to share their extension. :)

Comment 18 by Tim Brown posted on 6/14/2013 at 8:21 PM

@ray - correct me if my my understanding is wrong, but I think this must have something to do with the fact that brackets is loading the extension files via the file:// protocol which doesn't have privileges to access network locations as it is limited to the local file system. A co-worker created/logged into a local vs domain profile and it installed just fine. I will look into ways to bring my %appData% folder location to my local drive and things should work.

Thanks, I'll get this running on my mac tonight!

Comment 19 by Raymond Camden posted on 6/14/2013 at 8:23 PM

Tim: I believe you are correct. I use Brackets - I write extensions - but some of it's workings is still magic to me.

Comment 20 by Rejith posted on 8/26/2014 at 4:43 PM

The most irritating thing (probably only major) about brackets and coldfusion files were that the code highlighting was a mess for coldfusion comments.

Eg:

<!--
<cfloop from="1" to="30" index="looopCount">
<!-- This comment is will break text color formatting of the outside comment -->
</cfloop>
-->

Here the code will have normal formatting in brackets. This will be causing big issues when we want to comment out some block of code in huge CFC's.

Comment 21 by Raymond Camden posted on 8/26/2014 at 5:37 PM

Frankly I'd just use ColdFusion Builder 3.

Btw - you do know those aren't ColdFusion comments, right?

Comment 22 by Grant posted on 9/28/2014 at 11:14 PM

I installed this...I like brackets so far and I like the fact that it gives us code hinting. Any way to change the file type to cfm instead of html(bottoom right hand corner)? I find it hard for me to use because the shortcut(ctrl+shit+/) places an html comment instead of the cfml comment.

Comment 23 by Raymond Camden posted on 9/29/2014 at 1:35 AM

Latest Brackets allows you to associate a file extension with a particular type. You may want to try that.