ColdFusion on AWS

I'm a bit late on this (hey, I was in an airplane!), but ColdFusion is now available on Amazon Web Services. You can read the details here. The AMI clocks in at 15 cents an hour for large instances and 30 cents for extra-large instances. Available operating systems are Windows 2008 R2 and Ubuntu 12.0.4.

Comment 1 by jerry posted on 3/15/2013 at 2:53 AM

Could you tell us more about the developer version on AWS:

ColdFusion AMIs are available as Large and Extra-large instance types of AWS. On using an instance type other than Large and Extra-large, developer edition of ColdFusion 10 will be installed.

Comment 2 by Raymond Camden posted on 3/15/2013 at 3:21 AM

Is that a question?

Comment 3 by jerry posted on 3/15/2013 at 4:10 AM

If you have a smaller instance of AWS, apparently the developer version is used, is there a cost? The large instance goes for .15 per hour. Are any CF features not available with the AWS developer version? Generally, what are the pluses and minuses using a developer version in AWS?

Comment 4 by Raymond Camden posted on 3/15/2013 at 4:46 AM

Developer edition cannot be used in production, so basically, you need to use Large or X-Large.

Comment 5 by Gareth Arch posted on 3/15/2013 at 8:15 PM

Getting a page not found for half of the page :(

"Why should you deploy Adobe ColdFusion 10 on Amazon Web Services?"
Sorry, this page is not available

Comment 6 by Raymond Camden posted on 3/15/2013 at 8:23 PM

I'm assuming temporary glitch with the web page? Not seeing an issue myself.

Comment 7 by Gareth Arch posted on 3/15/2013 at 8:59 PM

Ah, there we go.

Comment 8 by Phillip Senn posted on 3/15/2013 at 9:27 PM

I'm trying not to be Mr. Obvious here, but is 0.15/hr = $1314/yr?
Or is the thought process that you can fire up an instance to try something out and then turn it back off when you're done?

Comment 9 by Raymond Camden posted on 3/15/2013 at 10:48 PM

I think that's the basic idea of AWS. You spin it up when you need it, take it down when you don't. As an example, imagine your site is going to be featured on the news. You could spin up 10 additional X-Large servers to handle the load, and in two days, kill em.

Comment 10 by Emmet posted on 3/16/2013 at 1:09 AM

I think its both. At $1300 a year its a deal for Enterprise licensing and support. Add on the ability to spool up additional AMI's when needed and its a pretty robust setup. I can see people being disappointed in no standard offering but that's where RAILO comes in these days i guess.

Comment 11 by Chris Kellett posted on 3/18/2013 at 10:44 AM

I'm in Australia and am trying to get this AMI installed on the localised AZ (asia pacific - Sydney). The pricing guide has my AZ listed, but when I come to actually spin up and instance (either via EC2 or the 1 click) the AZ listed does not include Sydney.

It is possible to spinthis up in this AZ? Maybe I am missing something. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comment 12 by Pete posted on 3/18/2013 at 12:10 PM

This is very good news. I'll be switching from Rackspace Cloud to AWS to make the most of this.

Comment 13 by Raymond Camden posted on 3/18/2013 at 2:34 PM

Chris, sorry, but not sure what to suggest here outside of calling Adobe support.

Comment 14 by Pete posted on 3/18/2013 at 8:47 PM

Ah it's only on Large and XL instances, admittedly it's the enterprise edition, but that's too costly - shame there's not a standard licence on Medium or Small. I'll just buy a CF10 licence instead!

Comment 15 by Tavs Dalaa posted on 4/5/2013 at 4:08 PM

This is one of the more exciting Adobe CF news I've read in awhile! Many many uses for this, and I'm already discussing with the team how we can move stuff to AWS (which we use for other non-CF related services). Good choices of instance types and fair pricing.

Comment 16 by Nick Way posted on 2/1/2018 at 10:43 AM

Does anyone have experience of running CF on AWS? How much ongoing work does it involve once you're set up? Current hosts sometimes suffer with DDos / network issues; does all that stuff magically go away on AWS?