Free ColdFusion 10 and jQuery Mobile Tutorial

Thanks to reader Mikel Shilling for pointing this out to me. The most excellent (as Bill would say) folks at FigLeaf have released a free ColdFusion 10 and jQuery Mobile tutorial. You can download the bits here:

Objectives for the course are:

• Define and use AJAX/JSON(P) web services using ColdFusion 10
  • Define and use REST web services using ColdFusion 10
  • Using REST services with jQuery Mobile
  • Implement real-time communications with HTML5 web sockets

Comment 1 by Edward Rynearson posted on 3/13/2013 at 4:28 AM

Perfect timing

Comment 2 by Paul posted on 3/15/2013 at 8:10 PM

I'm currently looking at ColdFusion, never used it before as I've always hand-coded using powerful editors like EditPlus and Dreamweaver.

Comment 3 by Raymond Camden posted on 3/15/2013 at 8:12 PM

Ah cool - nice to meet someone just starting CF. Most of my readers have been using it a while I think. :)

Comment 4 by Andy Idema posted on 4/9/2013 at 11:56 PM

I've been going through this tute and it isn't quite working as advertised. Anyone else having issues with retrieving data in the walk9_2 section?

Comment 5 by Raymond Camden posted on 4/10/2013 at 4:48 PM

Andy, I don't work for FigLeaf, but I pinged my contact there.

Comment 6 by Andy Idema posted on 4/10/2013 at 5:11 PM

Yea my bad. I contacted them as well. I'm sure it's user error (usually is). :)

Comment 7 by Andy Idema posted on 5/2/2013 at 4:26 PM

I used FigLeaf's tute on REST and JQM and now my CF Admin won't start and displays an error referencing JAX-RS. I found this bug: https://bugbase.adobe.com/i... but without access to the CF Admin I'm not sure how to delete the rest services. Any clues?

Comment 8 by Raymond Camden posted on 5/2/2013 at 6:32 PM

I'm sorry, but it looks like there is no fix for this. That is completely crazy imo. I'll raise a red flag on this. I can't promise anything though. You may have to re-install CF.

Comment 9 by Raymond Camden posted on 5/2/2013 at 6:43 PM

Andy, we may have a fix for you. Thanks for this suggestion comes from Andy Cameron. In your cfinstall/cfusion/lib folder, you will find many neo-*.xml files. Application settings are stored here. Find

neo-jaxrs.xml

Make a back up copy.
Open it up, and find the XML that defined the 'bad' one, it may look like this:

<var name='/Applications/MAMP/htdocs/democode_web/'>
<string>RestPreso2</string>
</var>

Remove it. You may also want to change this:

<array length='2'>

such that array length goes from N to N-1.

Oh, stop CF before you do this, and start it after.

This MAY work. Again, backup that XML before you even look at it.

Comment 10 by Adam Cameron posted on 5/2/2013 at 6:54 PM

Don't forget to VOTE for these bugs that trip you up, guys. Adobe do pay attention more to bugs with more votes.

Adam

Comment 11 by Andy Idema posted on 5/2/2013 at 9:08 PM

Wow thanks guys. That's a relief. I executed the steps and got the CF Admin running. I also updated the bugbase and voted for the bug.

Comment 12 by Adam Cameron posted on 5/2/2013 at 9:56 PM