Third Update to ColdFusion 10 Released

Title says it all - see details at the official ColdFusion Blog. Please notice you must run the mandatory update first. This is detailed in the blog post. Enjoy.

Comment 1 by Jesse Carlton posted on 10/17/2012 at 5:47 PM

There is a pretty serious bug with this update. On every restart of the service it looses ALL scheduled tasks. I tested it on Windows 2008 R2 x64. It throws an error:Enable Cluster setup (ColdFusion administrator > Debugging & Logging > Scheduler Tasks). I didn't use cluster in the tasks. I'll install mysql and setup a database to allow enabling cluster setup and see if that fixes anything.
See adobe bugbase #3348026.

From exception.log it looks like there is some documentService error as well: Platform, Locale, and Platform Name must not be null

Comment 2 by Raymond Camden posted on 10/17/2012 at 5:54 PM

Yep, we know, and a fix is coming very quickly.

Comment 3 by Jesse Carlton posted on 10/17/2012 at 6:09 PM

That's great!

Also for reference, setting up cluster setup in the sched tasks page got rid of the exception and stops the tasks from getting deleted. It doesn't bring back the original tasks though. might be a useful work around for some people.

It looks like the "Platform, Locale, and Platform Name must not be null" exception is unrelated. It's in my log from the first install startup.

Comment 4 by Raymond Camden posted on 10/17/2012 at 6:12 PM

I'll ping Rakshith about this. Thanks!

Comment 5 by Jeremy Prevost posted on 10/17/2012 at 7:05 PM

Ray, I know it isn't your call, but you need to bug them to pull the update entirely immediately until they fix it.

Having more people continue to experience all the bugs with this update (not working at all for some, scheduled tasks deleted for seemingly everyone) is not cool.

Comment 6 by Jeremy Prevost posted on 10/17/2012 at 7:05 PM

Also, I didn't mean "need". I meant "please" :)

Comment 7 by Raymond Camden posted on 10/17/2012 at 7:09 PM

Heh, you think I have that kind of power? Only in my imagination. ;)

Seriously though - they are working on it. It should be corrected very soon.

Comment 8 by Aaron Neff posted on 10/17/2012 at 11:46 PM

Hi Ray,

I've filed #3348487 (Updaters should always create a .car file).

If Updaters always created a .car file, then users of Update 3 would've been more easily able to restore back their scheduled tasks.

I understand users can create this .car file manually (and via special workaround in Standard Edition) but I feel this should be done automatically.

Thanks!,
-Aaron

Comment 9 by Jesse Carlton posted on 11/2/2012 at 7:16 PM

the new update 4 is out today

Comment 10 by Raymond Camden posted on 11/2/2012 at 7:19 PM

Yep, thanks for posting a comment though - will remind everyone here. :)

Comment 11 by Jesse Carlton posted on 12/6/2013 at 12:33 AM

Not related to this issue, but this page comes up when you search for "Platform, Locale, and Platform Name must not be null" :
That message is caused by coldfusion's internal font management and PDF utilities. it will break things like cfpdfform due to fonts that do not have the expected metadata.
This cf code will detect any bad fonts that are installed and list them for you:

<cfset fontobj = createobject("java","com.adobe.fontengine.fontmanagement.FontLoader")>
<cfdirectory action="list" directory="c:\windows\fonts" name="fontdir">

<table border="1" style="border-collapse:collapse">
<tr>
<th>Font Name:</th>
<th>Error</th>
</tr>
<cfloop query="fontdir">
<cftry>
<cfset loaded = fontobj.load(createobject("java","java.net.URL").init("file:///C|/windows/fonts/#fontdir.name#"))>
<cfif arraylen(loaded) gt 0>
<cfset dummy="#loaded[1].getPlatformFontDescription()[1].toString()#" >
</cfif>
<cfcatch>
<cfif findnocase("platform",cfcatch.message)>
<tr>
<td><cfoutput>#fontdir.name#</cfoutput></td>
<td><cfoutput>#cfcatch.message#</cfoutput></td>
</tr>
</cfif>
</cfcatch>
</cftry>
</cfloop>
</table>

delete the fonts and any calls that were failing should work.

Comment 12 by Raymond Camden posted on 12/6/2013 at 1:57 AM

Thanks Jesse.

Comment 13 by DigitheadRex posted on 11/26/2014 at 1:57 AM

I'm getting the exact same exception from ColdFusion11 on Yosemite 10.10.1 with Java 1.8.0_25. Can you advise?

Comment 14 by Raymond Camden posted on 11/26/2014 at 2:30 AM

Eh? Did you post this on the wrong post?