Update to my Server-Based Login PhoneGap Demo

Back in November of last year I blogged an example of adding server-based login to a PhoneGap application. Essentially - how to create an HTML application on your mobile device that calls out to a remote server for authentication purposes. The blog post got quite a bit of traffic (and 100 comments at last count), but today a user pointed out an interesting issue and I thought it would be a great time to post an update to the demo with a fix in place.

Basically, the user noticed something odd with login failures. The code I wrote supported caching the username and password values in LocalStorage and on application startup would automatically log you in. This worked fine - until your password was changed on the server. Consider the code below:

You can see that when an error is returned by the server, we use PhoneGap's Notification Alert API to let the user know about the problem.

Ok - so that should have worked, right? However - here is where we have a problem. Now - when I do blog entries and demos, I try to balance between 'real world' code and code that focuses narrowly on the issue I'm trying to discuss. I don't like a lot of clutter as I want people to learn without distractions. In this case though I built my demo using jQuery Mobile for the UI framework, and here's where the issue came about.

We listen for the pageinit event on the first page to fire off code that checks for cached login credentials:

This is a jQuery Mobile event. But PhoneGap has its own events - with the most critical of them being deviceready. You can't do anything device-related until this event fires.

So take a wild guess what happened. My jQuery Mobile page was up and running before my code was actually ready to speak to the device. (And if you are curious, I tested this using simple console messages. See my blog entry for more on that topic.) For my user, I just told them to quickly switch to a browser-native alert() call. But I really wanted a 'proper' fix.

This led to the question then: If I want my code to not do anything until deviceready is fired, what is the best way to handle it?

While I'm not sure this is the "best" way, here is the solution I came up with. I began by simply adding a new page to my initial HTML page. Remember that jQuery Mobile supports multiple "pages" per HTML file.

For the most part, this is the same as the previous blog entry. I did update to the latest PhoneGap and jQuery Mobile libraries. The critical part is the addition of "launcherPage." Now let's look at main.js:

The important changes are right at the bottom. I use the deviceready event callback (deviceReady) to register my pageinit function and also change the page manually from the blank screen to the 'real' login page. Now that the deviceready event has fired, when and if an error is returned by the automatic login, we can be assured that the native alert functionality provided by PhoneGap's API will actually work.

For those interested, I've included a zip of the code with this blog entry. You can upload it directly to PhoneGap Build to get a native installer on the platform of your choice.

Download attached file.

Raymond is a developer advocate for HERE Technologies. He focuses on JavaScript, serverless and enterprise cat demos. If you like this article, please consider visiting my Amazon Wishlist or donating via PayPal to show your support. You can even buy me a coffee!

Comment 1 by Mikel posted on 6/22/2012 at 2:58 PM

Great post Ray! Thanks! This is going to be quite helpful to me in the near future.

Comment 2 by Longhorn posted on 6/23/2012 at 5:57 AM

Hi, i'm not sure to understand your code. What i'm trying to do is to authenticate the user from the phonegap app and the retrieve restricted contents from server that is running PHP. i've this working using a webapp and jqtouch, but with a webapp i simply submit the form, the page is reloaded and i can send jquery requests cause the user is logged, but i'm not sure about how to do this with phonegap without reloading the page and without using cookies...

Comment 3 by Raymond Camden posted on 6/24/2012 at 7:12 PM

@Longhorn: When you use Ajax from a Phonegap app, it will automatically include any cookies sent by your server. If you are using a session in your PHP app that is cookie based, then it should "just work".

Comment 4 by Longhorn posted on 6/24/2012 at 9:17 PM

Fantastic Raymond!! Thanks a lot... i'll try it as soon as possible and report results here ;)

Comment 5 by Colin posted on 6/28/2012 at 2:13 PM

Hi Raymond,

i think that your Post sample (http://www.coldfusionjedi.c... doesn't work. Cause i'm tasting it on eclipse with Android SDK and i have a alert with this message: "Your login failed".

Please help me.

Best regards Calin

Comment 6 by Raymond Camden posted on 6/28/2012 at 5:21 PM

It works for me - here is an example:

Comment 7 by Colin posted on 6/28/2012 at 7:47 PM

Ahh it works. Sorry my mistake. I use this Login Data username: username & password: password.

Okay, but i have another question. Can i See your Post Request Data? It is .php or javascript? I testing on php and it works. But i need .js Data for Post Request webservice.

Can you help me?

Best regards Colin

Comment 8 by Raymond Camden posted on 6/29/2012 at 2:35 AM

I'm not quite sure I get your question. The POST data is what you see being sent in the JavaScript. If you are asking about the server-side code, it is just some simple ColdFusion.

Comment 9 by Seb posted on 8/26/2012 at 10:53 PM

Hi ray, thanks first for your article. It's really great.
I am actually using cordova2.0 and trying your code. And if you use your app just like this, withoiut any modification it works only once...
For example, launch the app, and leave the username and password blank. Click Login. Then you get the alert. Everything is fine. Then do it again... click again on Login leaving everything blank. We are ending on a blank page... which is in fact the launcher page...
I am very new in html, but how do you link the submit action of the button to the call of handlelogin?

Comment 10 by Seb posted on 8/26/2012 at 10:59 PM

O, I found it !
in deviceReady() : It's the ".on(*) function instead of the .one(*)..
$("#loginForm").on("submit",handleLogin);

And now it's working !! :)

Comment 11 by Raymond Camden posted on 8/27/2012 at 6:55 PM

Glad you got it. I used one so that it would only listen for one click and remove itself when done - but that was obviously a mistake. Going to tweak the code now. Thanks!

Comment 12 by Seb posted on 8/27/2012 at 6:59 PM

No worries.
Another thing I see, is that this "fake" launcher page is in fact used and displayed during the start of the app. Which can also be a problem... you have your splash screen then the white screen from launcherPage and the your loginPage... which is not very beautiful...
I am searching for a way to solve this...but maybe you already have an idea? I tried to use the attribute "hidden" to the <div launcherPage> but this is not working...

Comment 13 by Raymond Camden posted on 8/27/2012 at 7:04 PM

I think one could replace the white screen with something more informative. So your splash screen is a company logo of some sort - a pretty picture. The white screen could be something that says "Loading...". This would make it more obvious what is going on. Technically stuff is loading during the splash screen, but to the end user, it just looks like a typical app startup experience.

Thoughts?

Comment 14 by Miguel posted on 9/4/2012 at 1:28 AM

Hi Raymond, Very nice post, it helped me a lot.
Im a bit newbie, but i want to know what should i change if i have a local rest server?

Comment 15 by Miguel posted on 9/4/2012 at 9:01 AM

This comment continues the last one ..
A local rest server like this:

and it goves me back something like this

Thanks

Comment 16 by Raymond Camden posted on 9/4/2012 at 5:59 PM

In a PhoneGap app, localhost would refer to the phone. If you mean your dev server and you are connected via USB, then 10.0.2.2 should work.

Comment 17 by Miguel posted on 9/5/2012 at 1:49 AM

Hi again, thansks for your answer.Im using Eclipse to emulate an application in Android. The same as you i Think, The problem is I dont get a 'true' as answer from REST, but something like this {"Type":"1"}. How can i comprare that kind of chain with a value to let it continue to "some.html"
thanks

Comment 18 by Raymond Camden posted on 9/5/2012 at 2:14 AM

Are you asking how to handle a response of {Type:1}? If so - remember that the response will be parsed from JSON automatically. So you can look at the result object and check the value just like any other JavaScript variable.

Comment 19 by Miguel posted on 9/5/2012 at 2:44 AM

If i get something like this?{"firstName": "John","lastName": "Smith","age": 25}
Does it parse automatically too?

Comment 20 by Raymond Camden posted on 9/5/2012 at 4:28 AM

As long as your server returns valid JSON, then it just works. To be clear, you need to update your logic to handle the different result, but jQuery will handle converting the JSON into a normal JS variable.

Comment 21 by Miguel posted on 9/6/2012 at 7:14 AM

Hi Raymond, I did it. It wasnt that hard. Thanks for your time to answer my questions.

Comment 22 by Steven posted on 11/9/2012 at 6:53 PM

Hi create script. Just what i was after. Problem is im using cordova 2.2.0 and if i press the submit button with a wrong user/pass i get the alert message, If i type it wrong again or leave it blank the page goes blank.

Any ideas

Comment 23 by Raymond Camden posted on 11/9/2012 at 8:18 PM

Found it - an earlier commenter found it actually - this line

$("#loginForm").one("submit",handleLogin);

needs to be

$("#loginForm").on("submit",handleLogin);

I believe I fixed it in the code sample, but not the zip. I'll correct this now.

Comment 24 by Arsh posted on 11/18/2012 at 9:44 AM

Hi, I am trying to make 'index.html' to be a login page, which connects to a Joomla! server. Once authenticated, it will redirect to, 'app.html' which retrieves data from the server. I am not sure how to set this login to authenticate from the site, 'web1.sydneytech-h.schools.n...' . Thanks,
Arsh

Comment 25 by Raymond Camden posted on 11/19/2012 at 7:56 PM

Um, I'm not exactly sure what you're asking. I don't know the site you mention nor do I know how it handles login.

Comment 26 by Albert posted on 1/8/2013 at 5:12 PM

Great job Raymond. Just want to clarify about using of "launcherPage" in the app. As you mentioned it's something like splashscreen while device is loading... but program doesn't going to the next steps when I'm running it on my emulator (stays in that white screen). In logcat I have "Skipped 34 frames! The app may be doing to much woork on its main tread" and next message "onMessage(spinner, stop)". I can't detect what I'm doing wrong. Have you any idea about this?

Comment 27 by Albert posted on 1/8/2013 at 6:00 PM

Also wanted to mention that by "login" click, it must process handleLogin(), which is: $("#loginForm").on("submit", handleLogin); and save the user data in local storage which are these lines:

window.localStorage["username"] = u;
window.localStorage["password"] = p;

But these two activities are not working for me,... Actually by default phonegap is html-based and automatically asks you to remember, skip or never save your data in browser (in my emulator it works so). But not saves by my main.js in localStorage. What do you think about it?

Comment 28 by Creg Fielding posted on 1/8/2013 at 11:38 PM

Ray,

Are you building and testing this locally?

I tried building this code without making any changes using adobes build service and it hangs on the launcherPage and never loads the login page. It appears that the deviceready is not triggering. I saw your post about the build service bug and removed the the cordova-1.8.1.js from the .zip file with no success either.

Comment 29 by Raymond Camden posted on 1/9/2013 at 1:05 AM

Craig - going to reply to you now since your question may be a bit easier. You removed the JS file, good, but do you still have

<script src="cordova.js"></script>

in your HTML? Build looks for this before injecting it.

Comment 30 by Creg Fielding posted on 1/9/2013 at 1:24 AM

Yes, I was building it with <script type="text/javascript" charset="utf-8" src="cordova-1.8.1.js"></script>. Replaced that line of code with: <script src="cordova.js"></script>. Zipped everything up.....without cordova.js, updated code in build, rebuilt, copied to Samsung G3 running android 4.1.1. Still no go.

Comment 31 by Raymond Camden posted on 1/9/2013 at 1:27 AM

Creg - maybe try checking the console:

Comment 32 by Raymond Camden posted on 1/9/2013 at 2:21 AM

Albert, can you see if the deviceready event is firing for you? You may be having the same issue as Creg.

Comment 33 by Creg Fielding posted on 1/9/2013 at 2:23 AM

Only exception was "exception firing pause event from native:1". Googling that now for more details.

Comment 34 by Creg Fielding posted on 1/9/2013 at 2:27 AM

My google search found a post that I should be using: <script src="phonegap.js"></script>. Tried that and now it appears to be working. I have to run to a meeting and will confirm later. Thanks Ray!

Comment 35 by Raymond Camden posted on 1/9/2013 at 2:30 AM

Holy smokes - duh - so sorry for that! I really think PG Build should include a small log message to the effect of "Couldn't find <script...> Did you mean to include it?"

Comment 36 by Nikhil Talele posted on 1/9/2013 at 10:09 PM

Hello,
I wanted to know your complete php server side code.
Please tell me.

Comment 37 by Raymond Camden posted on 1/9/2013 at 10:16 PM

I do not write PHP.

The code using to handle login is *very* simple code. You take in a username. You take in a password. You check it with a SQL query. You return true or false.

If you can't write that in PHP than you probably shouldn't be writing PHP. Sorry to be blunt, but it's honest. Typically for a web platform doing SQL calls is one of the first things you learn.

Comment 38 by Nikhil Talele posted on 1/9/2013 at 10:24 PM

just wanted that what shud b the output of the php and got it
thanx....

Comment 39 by Raymond Camden posted on 1/9/2013 at 10:28 PM

Ok. To be clear, should be true or false. Sorry - but I've gotten a number of requests like this lately. It's getting to me. ;)

Comment 40 by Jeff posted on 1/24/2013 at 3:51 AM

hi Raymond,I have similar question as above
when I open index.html, i can only see the blank page.
im not so understand the above solution.
is it simply mean to rename the js as phonegap.js ?

a silly question, is it the same on both i open the html in computer's browser and that I install it in phone?

Comment 41 by Raymond Camden posted on 1/24/2013 at 7:05 AM

How are you opening the index.html file?

Comment 42 by Steve posted on 1/24/2013 at 1:28 PM

Hi Raymond . I have this all working . Problem is when I'm logged in and it redirects to the main HTML Non of the JavaScript or jquery works . I've tried outing it all again into the header bit with no luck. Am I missing something ? Any ideas would be great. This is for iOS and phone gap I'm doing it for

Comment 43 by Raymond Camden posted on 1/24/2013 at 5:55 PM

@Steve: I'd have to see more of your code. Please use Pastebin or Gists.

Comment 44 by tagor posted on 2/13/2013 at 5:44 PM

Hi Raymond.
First of all thanks for the example.
But I have some problems with it.
When I try to use it nothing happens when I click on to login button except for a message whether I want the password to be saved.
When I click again on the button nothing happens.
I wrote a similar little app and it reacts the same by doing nothing.

Comment 45 by Raymond Camden posted on 2/13/2013 at 5:50 PM

You need to test the application in Chrome and check the console to see what is going wrong.

Comment 46 by Tagor posted on 2/13/2013 at 6:13 PM

It does work in chrome.

Comment 47 by tagor posted on 2/13/2013 at 6:38 PM

I was having problems with my ip adress.
It now also works on the device

Comment 48 by Raymond Camden posted on 2/13/2013 at 8:13 PM

Ah, to be fair, my code should have a generic Ajax error handler that would notice stuff like that and report it. :)

Comment 49 by nouss posted on 4/3/2013 at 3:04 PM

hi ajax not working in my chrome any solution pleaze
thks

Comment 50 by Raymond Camden posted on 4/3/2013 at 3:07 PM

If you are testing on the desktop, do not forget that you can't make an AJAX request to another domain due to security reasons. Either make use of the Ripple extension or use the Chrome flag that bypasses this restriction.

Comment 51 by nouss posted on 4/7/2013 at 10:39 PM

Thank you very much for your reply. is that you can explain a little more your answer
I'm working on a project and cordova jquery and I have a wsdl file (SOAP web service). I want to use ajax? Any solution or exemple? thank you

Comment 52 by Raymond Camden posted on 4/8/2013 at 4:53 PM

WSDL is just XML, so you can still access it via AJAX. Parsing it will be a bit of a pain. I'd google for a JS library for working with SOAP.

Comment 53 by nouss posted on 4/8/2013 at 6:11 PM

thank you very much but how to parse the wsdl file?? I searched a lot in google and problem is there are many things to know :) In any case, you help me a lot

Comment 54 by Raymond Camden posted on 4/8/2013 at 6:13 PM

I can't really tell you which code to use for parsing WSDL as I don't think I've done that with JS. You're going to have to keep at it. Use your best judgement with the results from Google and good luck. I do everything possible to avoid WSDL in everything I do.

Comment 55 by nouss posted on 4/8/2013 at 6:17 PM

it's okay thank you again and good work

Comment 56 by andy posted on 4/12/2013 at 8:29 AM

Thanks for the example. I am new to j query and phone gap. In regards to authentication if some html is retrieved before index html or the authenticated session has expired how is the redirection back to the login applied?

Comment 57 by Raymond Camden posted on 4/12/2013 at 3:27 PM

Whatever services you write for your app to handle returning data should have a consistent way to report a session time out. Your front end code then needs to handle that.

Comment 58 by andy posted on 4/15/2013 at 7:35 AM

Thanks! Running your application on my desktop windows 7 + chrome v28.0 I just get a blank page. I added a console.log to the init function which fires but console.log("deviceReady") does not. Any help.

Comment 59 by Raymond Camden posted on 4/15/2013 at 2:50 PM

deviceready fires on a device, not on your desktop. If you want to test there with Chrome, please look at the Ripple emulator. http://www.raymondcamden.co...

Comment 60 by Andy Idema posted on 5/30/2013 at 6:03 PM

Ray, do you know if the window.localstorage solution works on all mobile OS's?

Comment 61 by Raymond Camden posted on 5/30/2013 at 6:04 PM

I'm not going to answer. Instead, I'm going to be a jerk and tell you what I do when I don't know the answer to that type of question. :) Go to caniuse.com. Here is your specific answer:

Comment 62 by Andy Idema posted on 5/30/2013 at 6:09 PM

Comment 63 by Andy Idema posted on 5/30/2013 at 6:11 PM

Ha. Where did you find this site? It's telling me ios, android, and blackberry. Sound about right?

Comment 64 by Andy Idema posted on 5/30/2013 at 6:27 PM

I'm not sure that site fully addresses my question. Unless I don't understand how a native app works.... But this caniuse.com site is telling me about the different browsers that do/don't support localstorage. I'm wondering about a native app. If I use localstorage and then deploy using pg build, will it work as a native app on the different devices? I guess the question here is do native apps use the default web browsers on the device (browsers shown on caniuse.com) or do they use something unrelated?

Comment 65 by Raymond Camden posted on 5/30/2013 at 7:14 PM

"Devices I should say. I want to use this solution but also am curious to know if it will work on all the devices that pg build deploys to."

To be clear, caniuse.com won't tell you HTC One X versus iPhone5. It will tell you based on the browser. So you have to know, for example, that your HTC One X is using Android X.Y or so. Hope that makes it clearer.

Comment 66 by Raymond Camden posted on 5/30/2013 at 7:20 PM

When you use PG Build, it is using the native browser on the device. So you need to consider that when you check caniuse.com. But just FYI, localstorage is supported 100% for mobile. Totally safe to use. (Ok, maybe not 100%, but practically.)

Comment 67 by Andy Idema posted on 5/30/2013 at 7:55 PM

Lovely. Thank you for clearing that up for me. And now, I proceed using localstorage. Cheers!

Comment 68 by Hoa Hoang posted on 8/3/2013 at 7:12 AM

Hello Raymond,
Thanks for the example.
I created project and it works.
But I don't understand http://www.coldfusionjedi.c... : where were admin and password saved ?
(Sorry My English, :D)

Comment 69 by Raymond Camden posted on 8/3/2013 at 5:02 PM

Are you asking where admin/admin is definied? If so - as I believe I said in the blog entry - the authentication system is fake on the server side. In a real app it would check the values against a database.

Comment 70 by Phill posted on 8/20/2013 at 5:07 PM

Hi,

I cant get this to run on Android or Firefox....

If I upload it as is, I just get the initial pre-login page. However, if I replace the first line of main.js with deviceReady(); I can get the login page to load up but it doesnt respond in anyway.

Putting in a username and password, pressing the submit button just results in the page sitting where it is..

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Comment 71 by Raymond Camden posted on 8/20/2013 at 5:45 PM

It sounds like deviceready isn't loading on Android. Can you tell me how you built the file into an APK?

Also - this was not built to work in Firefox. This is a PhoneGap demo.

Comment 72 by Phill posted on 8/20/2013 at 6:14 PM

Hi Raymond. I built it with PhoenGap Build.

I was just trying to see if it would do anything for testing purposes when using firefox. My real issue, is with the Android build. Although Ive not tried other platforms.

Comment 73 by Raymond Camden posted on 8/20/2013 at 6:20 PM

When you uploaded to PG Build, did you remove my cordova-1.8.1.js and replace the script src call with

<script src="cordova.js"></script>

so PGB could add the appropriate JS file itself?

Comment 74 by Marc Jacobs posted on 8/30/2013 at 3:25 AM

I'm having the same issue getting stuck on the white screen with Android. I'm on Android 4.3 on a Galaxy S4. I changed the cordova call as you just recommended, no change. I too am building on build.phonegap.com

Comment 75 by Raymond Camden posted on 9/3/2013 at 12:46 AM

So first off - ensure that the deviceready event is firing. You can do that with a simple alert.

Comment 76 by Raymond Camden posted on 9/23/2013 at 2:19 AM

Um, I'm not sure if putting it in a subfolder would cause a problem. I can't say more unless you can provide a bit more information about why it is failing.

Comment 77 by Tadeu Valentt posted on 9/25/2013 at 1:34 AM

Hello there, I really liked your tutorial, but I am concerned about security of the localstorage to store sensitive data, what is your opinion in relation to XSS vulnerability and since localstorage is accessible through javascript, theoretically, a link with this could get the values stored:

<a href="javascript:alert(localStorage.getItem('password'))">

I found some good articles about this:

Thanks

Comment 78 by Raymond Camden posted on 9/25/2013 at 1:59 AM

That link would return the local storage value on my own system, so I'm not sure how bad it would be. If you were able to inject more JS you could do a Ajax post to another server, *if* the user browser supported CORS and your server did (or use JSON/P), but at the point you let people inject HTML in your app your failed miserably anyway.

To be clear, I'm not saying use LocalStorage w/o even thinking about this, but I'm not sure how big the attack vector is, especially if you are letting folks write arbitrary code.

BUT - I'll read those links as well. :)

Comment 79 by Lorenzo posted on 10/29/2013 at 10:02 PM

Oh very good tutorial, thanks. On my nexus 7 with android 4 I'm having a issue due to the fact that when killing the app on task manager, it clears automatically the localStorage and I have to put again the username and password, instead in my samsung mini 2 with android 2.3 and in a galaxy tab with android 3 works fine. Maybe the problem is caused by the new android that let the user kill the app???? Is that a way to overcome this issue????

Comment 80 by Raymond Camden posted on 10/29/2013 at 10:30 PM

Odd - I can't believe Android would nuke localStorage like that. Well, if there isn't a way around that, you could use WebSQL. It is overkill for 2 values like that. You could also use the filesystem (you could write it out as a JSON packet).

Comment 81 by Toyin posted on 11/1/2013 at 5:35 PM

Hi raymond,please in your ajax call(http://www.coldfusionjedi.c... i dont understand the method=login. There is no function login in the javascript. The code works perfectly well on my android emulator. I just want to know what that line is doing. Thank you very much.

Comment 82 by Raymond Camden posted on 11/1/2013 at 5:48 PM

What you are seeing there is a ColdFusion thing. CF lets you build a service that can be called via Ajax. The file contains a number of methods (or can contain a number of methods) and a URL parameter is used to tell the server which we want to run.

You can ignore this if you are not a CF person, which I can surmise you are not. The server side code could be done in *any* other language.

Comment 83 by Toyin posted on 11/1/2013 at 6:13 PM

Okay.Thank you very much for your response. Am using Php and its just a validation page. <?php
require_once("connection.php");
if(isset($_POST['username'],$_POST['password'])){
$email=$_POST['username']; $password=md5($_POST['password']);
$query=mysql_query("SELECT * FROM users_tbl WHERE Email='".$email."' AND Password='".$password."'");
if(mysql_num_rows($query)>0){
$response=true;

}else{
$response=false;
}
}

?>
i guess it means i can just remove the method completely.

Comment 84 by Raymond Camden posted on 11/1/2013 at 6:13 PM

I guess so. I don't use PHP. :)

Comment 85 by Toyin posted on 11/1/2013 at 6:21 PM

Thanks alot sir. Really appreciate

Comment 86 by Lorenzo posted on 11/5/2013 at 3:01 PM

Searching on the web I found that phonegap 2.6 have a bug with memory. Then I updated to phonegap 2.7 and the issue related to task manager and localStorage has disappeared. Thanks anyway raymond for replaying istantantly.

Comment 87 by fantuan posted on 11/26/2013 at 9:45 AM

Can you help me to use PHP?
I need it

Comment 88 by Raymond Camden posted on 11/29/2013 at 12:38 AM

I don't know PHP.

Comment 89 by Nizar posted on 2/24/2014 at 5:00 PM

Hi, thank you Raymond!

Question:

1) Do I need to add any special code in "some.html"? what if this page was accessed before the login page? (is it possible?)
2) What is the best practice to pass parameters from the login page to the other pages so I can tell which user is this?

Comment 90 by Raymond Camden posted on 2/25/2014 at 12:28 AM

1) First part doesn't make sense, second part: Remember this isn't a browser, so the user can't bookmark/change the URL. But what if they did? The assumption is that if you are calling your server to request stuff, then your server is going to enforce a secured session. So if they skip the login, they still won't be able to do Bad Stuff. Your HTML post login, like some.html, is just window dressing.

2) Don't pass them - keep them in memory. Remember jQuery Mobile creates a SPA - so you aren't actually leaving the initial page.

Comment 91 by SWATHI posted on 2/27/2014 at 10:20 AM

Hi,

I am new to mobile apps.. I have to develop a app using phonegap and jquerymobile where on opening the app I have to login(check the username and password with mssql db).. using websevice on success it should navigate to another page.. I don't know how to use webservice ur clear description ll help me.. thank u

Comment 92 by Raymond Camden posted on 2/28/2014 at 9:14 AM

You need to look into doing XHR hits with your JavaScript. jQuery makes this pretty easy.

Comment 93 by SWATHI posted on 2/28/2014 at 2:14 PM

sry I didn't get u..
all I need isto know how to create a webservice(http://www.coldfusionjedi.c... what happens in it..it would be helpful is u explain with screenshots

Comment 94 by nir posted on 2/28/2014 at 3:44 PM

i use it with m.q-1.4.1, it didnt work for me. i fixed it with:
in deviceReady
from:
$("#loginPage").on("pageinit",function() {
to:
$("#loginPage").on("pageshow",function() {

Comment 95 by Raymond Camden posted on 2/28/2014 at 5:25 PM

@SWATHI: I'm not sure what to tell you. If you are asking how to make network requests with JS, I'd urge you to read the jQuery documentation as it makes it easy.

Comment 96 by Poovarasan posted on 6/3/2014 at 4:18 PM

Login with storage it Ok working fine But how to logout...or Clear Such local storage..please make a code on it..Thnaks

Comment 97 by Raymond Camden posted on 6/3/2014 at 6:27 PM

You would use the regular LocalStorage API for removing items. Please read the docs here: https://developer.mozilla.o...

Comment 98 by Rituparna Matkar posted on 6/15/2014 at 7:12 AM

Hi

I have implemented the code and i noticed something strange tell me if you can figure out why. This works fine when i test it on a browser, but when I install it on the tab by the cordova cmd line tools it docent seem to work ...
any ideas why this would happen?
by the way thanks for the great tutorial. keep writing...

Comment 99 by Raymond Camden posted on 6/15/2014 at 11:28 PM

It could be anything really. Did you try Chrome Remote Debug to see if you can determine the error?

Comment 100 by Dom Howard posted on 7/29/2014 at 3:07 PM

Hi Ray
I think Rituparna's problem is probably the same as mine - the Chrome Debugger is giving me a CF error response from the service - the error is "Element USERNAME is undefined in ARGUMENTS"

Comment 101 by Raymond Camden posted on 7/29/2014 at 3:40 PM

That means the username value isn't being passed via Ajax. This line here does that:

$.post("http://www.coldfusionjedi.c...", {username:u,password:p}, function(res) {

If you modified it, then that would be why you get that error.

Comment 102 by Dom Howard posted on 7/29/2014 at 3:44 PM

I haven't modified the code (apart from the call to cordova.js), just copied straight into a new PG 3.5 project

Comment 103 by Raymond Camden posted on 7/29/2014 at 3:45 PM

Then in your debugger, look at the network call. Ensure it is being POSTed.

Comment 104 by Javed Badshah posted on 10/13/2014 at 7:27 PM

HI,

Its a great tutorial. But there is few queries. In a conventional web application after successful login we are able to maintain a session state to check whether the user has been authenticated between pages. In this tutorial how to do that. Also username and password post through URL , itsn't it risky

Comment 105 by Raymond Camden posted on 10/13/2014 at 7:30 PM

Depending on your server, you may not have to do anything. With ColdFusion, for example, cookies are used to 'mark' a session. So when your PhoneGap/Cordova app makes calls, it carries those cookies along with each XHR call. "It just works".

Comment 106 by Javed Badshah posted on 10/13/2014 at 7:49 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.. could you suggest me what will be in case of IIS server

Comment 107 by Raymond Camden posted on 10/13/2014 at 8:00 PM

Well, it would depend on the app server. If you are using ASP, you need to check their docs. I *believe* sessions w/ cookies as markers is pretty common though.

Comment 108 by Javed Badshah posted on 10/13/2014 at 8:03 PM

Thank you Raymond... I would love to follow your blog.. its amazing

Comment 109 by Karmet posted on 12/17/2014 at 4:05 PM

Thanks so much Ray! What's the licensing on this code? Are we free to use it however we'd like? Thanks!

Comment 110 (In reply to #109) by Raymond Camden posted on 12/17/2014 at 4:09 PM

Free to use. I ask that if you are a commercial entity, or have a few bucks to spare, you visit my Amazon wishlist. http://www.amazon.com/wishl...

Comment 111 by Michiel De Greef posted on 2/13/2015 at 4:56 PM

Attached file is down.

Comment 112 (In reply to #111) by Raymond Camden posted on 2/13/2015 at 4:57 PM

Fixed.

Comment 113 (In reply to #112) by Michiel De Greef posted on 2/13/2015 at 4:59 PM

Thank you for that super fast reply! Can you also link the serverside files?

Comment 114 (In reply to #113) by Raymond Camden posted on 2/13/2015 at 5:11 PM

It was just one. A ColdFusion component with one remote method. It took in the username/password arguments, checked them, and returned true or false based on the credentials. If you've ever done a CF query before, I assume you know how to do this. :) (And in my demo it wasn't even a query, just a hard coded check.)

Comment 115 by Eduardo Amorim Oliveira posted on 4/26/2015 at 1:35 AM

I have a problem and can not solve someone help me white screen in version 1.0.0 and displays content in version 2.0.0

log phonegap

200 /socket.io/socket.io.js

200 /css/index.css

200 /main.js

200 /jquery.mobile/jquery.mobile...

200 /jquery.mobile/jquery-1.7.2....

200 /cordova-1.8.1.js

200 /socket.io/?EIO=2&transport=...

200 /socket.io/?EIO=2&transport=...

200 /socket.io/?EIO=2&transport=...

undefined Ripple :: Environment Warming Up (Tea. Earl Gray. Hot.)

200 /config.xml

404 /ripple/user-agent

undefined cordova :: Setting the user agent server side failed.

undefined cordova :: Initialization Finished (Make it so.)

200 /icon.png

200 /

200 /socket.io/socket.io.js

200 /css/index.css

200 /main.js

200 /jquery.mobile/jquery-1.7.2....

200 /jquery.mobile/jquery.mobile...

200 /cordova-1.8.1.js

200 /socket.io/?EIO=2&transport=...

200 /socket.io/?EIO=2&transport=...

undefined cordova :: fired deviceready event!

200 /socket.io/?EIO=2&transport=...

200 /__api__/autoreload

200 /__api__/autoreload

Comment 116 (In reply to #115) by Raymond Camden posted on 4/26/2015 at 3:28 PM

You are using a *very* old version of Cordova. Please update to the latest and try again. Also, Ripple has issues and I do not recommend it anymore. (Although an update is coming out soon.)

Comment 117 (In reply to #116) by Eduardo Amorim Oliveira posted on 4/26/2015 at 4:59 PM

ok thank you ...

I have another doubt when I load another page and call the <body onload="changeText ()"> he does not carry it as you after entering the login he no longer accepts

Comment 118 (In reply to #117) by Raymond Camden posted on 4/27/2015 at 10:45 AM

Sorry - I have no idea what you are saying here.

Comment 119 by Eduardo Amorim Oliveira posted on 4/30/2015 at 3:40 PM

got this error nothing happens not of error but also does not work help me?

Comment 120 (In reply to #119) by Raymond Camden posted on 4/30/2015 at 5:17 PM

Don't use Ripple. Test w/ an emulator/device.