New Chrome Extension: Diablo 3 Server Checker

I built this because I was trying desperately to procrastinate while finishing an article for HTML5Rocks.com. The Diablo 3 Status Checker does exactly what it says - it pings the English server status page and does a bit of regex on the result to see if the American server is up. If it is up - you get a happy face. If not - you get a frowny face. Not exactly rocket science - but it works (especially if you want to avoid writing). Curious about the code? Here is the JavaScript behind it. It is based heavily on one of the existing sample apps.

You can install it via the CRX I Have hosted here...

I was going to put it up on the Chrome store, but ended up rage-quitting when it asked me for 500 different screen shots of an extension that has two small icons.

Comment 1 by Guust Nieuwenhuis posted on 6/7/2012 at 10:12 PM

Could you add support for the EU servers?

And what about a Safari extension? ;)

Comment 2 by Chuck S posted on 6/7/2012 at 10:18 PM

Are you stumped for material for the article or just don't feel like sitting down and writing it?

Comment 3 by Raymond Camden posted on 6/7/2012 at 10:20 PM

@Guust: Heh, be my guest to mod it. I could add a preference UI to let you select a region. But as we all know, only America counts!

@Chuck: I was just procrastinating. :)

Comment 4 by Elamentra posted on 6/8/2012 at 12:10 AM

Cool, think Ill post a link to this on my forums at www.Diablo3.org

Comment 5 by Raymond Camden posted on 6/8/2012 at 12:44 AM

Glad you like it. :)

Comment 6 by Arnold juegos de vestir posted on 6/10/2012 at 9:47 PM

What do you think to the new game of Diablo? the game dont change like the others sagas

Comment 7 by Raymond Camden posted on 6/10/2012 at 11:02 PM

@Arnold: I'm not quite sure what your second sentence is asking. But as to the game - I love it - and I love the changes they made. First - being able to change skills is incredible. I'm experimenting a lot more with my character than I did in D1 or D2. In fact, I only experimented in those games when I used a character editor. There was no way I was going to devote hundreds of hours just to flesh out the experience of one class.

Another nice change is being able to desocket stuff. I used to be so scared to socket anything as I thought I'd get a better gem as soon as I did.

Over all - the changes make the game much more enjoyable for me.