Second issue of Appliness Launches

The second issue of Appliness has launched. Appliness is a free digital magazine available on Android and iOS (in stunning Retina graphics too). The May issue contains articles on...

• CSS Regions and CSS Exclusions, by Deepa Subramaniam
  • Colour Match, Cutest Paw, Bit Timer: showcase
  • Which Element ? Pull quotes, comments
  • PhoneGap and the File API
  • WTFJS: False advertising
  • Generate color palettes from HTML5 video
  • CSS variables draft

I way to make special note of the "Generate color palettes from HTML5 video" article. This is not something that has been on my blog before. It's a brand new WebRTC demo I made that demonstrates generating color palettes from a live web-cam video feed. It's super hot. Really. OK, it's a bit silly. But it was fun as hell to write.

Raymond is a developer advocate for HERE Technologies. He focuses on JavaScript, serverless and enterprise cat demos. If you like this article, please consider visiting my Amazon Wishlist or donating via PayPal to show your support. You can even buy me a coffee!

Comment 1 by Terry posted on 4/30/2012 at 11:34 PM

Man this looks cool.

Shame not everyone with Android tablets can get it. Good ole Google (marketplace) Play does not recognize all tablets, like my Flytouch. So no can get.

Can't install on my HTC either.

Tried using the contact form on magazine site and it does not work. Guess this magazine is out of reach of many people.

Great share though Raymond.

Comment 2 by Raymond Camden posted on 4/30/2012 at 11:39 PM

I raised this with the powers that be - working on it.

Comment 3 by John Hattan posted on 4/30/2012 at 11:46 PM

Yeah, wish just an APK was available so I could sideload it on my Kindle Fire.

Comment 4 by Raymond Camden posted on 5/1/2012 at 1:19 AM

So it isn't obvious, but the "PDF Preview" on the download page is the entire magazine. I thought it was just that - a preview. I've mentioned this to the team here to see if they can correct that because I assume most folks would have thought it was just a preview as well.

Comment 5 by Terry posted on 5/1/2012 at 1:42 AM

See the PDF, but want an app. Busy and on the road a lot. No time (and to old to remember) to go to site every month.

Be so simple for them to upload the app to their server. Place a QR code with a link to it.

Most all devices can be set to install apps outside the marketplace.

Juz a thought. Do not know about others, but their contact form does not work for me.

Comment 6 by Raymond Camden posted on 5/1/2012 at 2:06 AM

You know - you can download PDFs to your devices and view them later. ;)

Comment 7 by Terry posted on 5/1/2012 at 2:33 AM

Thanks for the advice Raymond.

Comment 8 by Mikel posted on 5/1/2012 at 2:44 AM

Oh, thanks for letting us know that the PDF preview is actually the whole thing! I would have missed out otherwise.

Comment 9 by Richard Turner-Jones posted on 5/1/2012 at 3:03 AM

Content is great, please keep it coming ...

However, I'm not sure if it's DPS or Appliness, but the library menu items are REALLY small (about 5x5 pixels) on my Galaxy Note. Is there a setting that can be applied to fix this? Also is there a pinch to zoom function within the app to zoom content, as it is also small print?

Comment 10 by Raymond Camden posted on 5/1/2012 at 6:45 AM

Richard - please use the contact form on the appliness site to let them know. I don't actually produce the magaizne.

Comment 11 by Richard Turner-Jones posted on 5/1/2012 at 1:48 PM

Sorry Ray, just wanted to let you know in case you had some other feedback of a similar nature. I'll use the contact form you mentioned.

Comment 12 by Lola LB posted on 5/1/2012 at 2:11 PM

Looks cool to me! My eyes can't take reading a magazine on an iPhone, so I'll have to wait till I get an iPad this month or next . ..

Comment 13 by Raymond Camden posted on 5/1/2012 at 2:38 PM

No need to apologize - just want to make sure the feedback goes to all the right places. :)

Comment 14 by Greg Wilson posted on 5/1/2012 at 5:31 PM

A version for the Kindle Fire is coming soon - waiting on Amazon to approve.

Comment 15 by Phillip Senn posted on 5/2/2012 at 2:01 AM

I think I'm actually put off a little bit by their artwork. I'm trying to figure out how it came be.
It's like it's stock photos of nerds - oh wait. No, that one's you talking about the file API under phonegap.
But I mean the others are weirding me out.

Comment 16 by Gareth Arch posted on 5/2/2012 at 8:58 PM

The magazine "cover" actually freaked me out a little...didn't realize that she would move :)