Example of console debugging with Weinre and PhoneGap

I'm still struggling with the best way to do debugging of my PhoneGap apps. I had heard of weinre, or Web Inspector Remote, but had not had a chance to get it running locally. Turns out PhoneGap hosts a remote server you can use for your testing. It's a bit tricky to get console messages up, but in case it helps others, I've created a quick video entry on how I got things working.

Pardon the silly non-embed link above. It will take you offsite to screencast. I should just embed the SWF but I'm in a hurry. Anyway, if the video above makes sense to you, let me know.

Raymond is a developer advocate for HERE Technologies. He focuses on JavaScript, serverless and enterprise cat demos. If you like this article, please consider visiting my Amazon Wishlist or donating via PayPal to show your support. You can even buy me a coffee!

Comment 1 by Ryan McIlmoyl posted on 10/20/2011 at 1:46 AM

Ray,

Check out Ripple, let's you you Chrome's Web Dev tools to debug PhoneGap apps

Comment 2 by Raymond Camden posted on 10/20/2011 at 1:51 AM

Ok I'm confused. I read the docs (ok, mostly read) and I don't see how this is supposed to work with a PhoneGap app running on my phone.

Comment 3 by Ben Burwick posted on 10/23/2011 at 8:47 PM

Looks like the people responsible for it don't know how to pronounce it either. From http://phonegap.github.com/...

"weinre is Web Inspector Remote. Pronounced like the word "winery". Or maybe like the word "weiner". Who knows, really."

Comment 4 by Raymond Camden posted on 10/24/2011 at 12:35 AM

I just wish they would fix the delay issue - or describe a better workaround then what I did.

Comment 5 by pruthvi posted on 5/13/2013 at 10:28 AM

Thanks got some idea from the video

Comment 6 by Jose posted on 6/5/2013 at 12:23 AM

Hi Raymond, Thanks for sharing!.
Jose