My MAX Preso - the future of ColdFusion

Enjoy...

Comment 1 by Rick Smith posted on 10/5/2011 at 12:51 AM

I couldn't get to MAX again this year so thanks a million for sharing this Ray. I'm looking forward to getting into testing as soon as possible... I have literally PAGES of input/features/requests I've written down since the last release.

Comment 2 by Jeremy Prevost posted on 10/5/2011 at 2:22 AM

Thanks for posting this. The video ends a bit abruptly though.

Also, the syntax for looping over a query in script would be way slicker without parenthesis:

for row in getstuff { }

instead of:

for (row in getstuff) {}

... maybe I've just been working with Python too much lately :)

Comment 3 by Justin Carter posted on 10/5/2011 at 5:36 AM

A few nice bits of Zeus info there, nice preso Ray :)

I hope Terry Ryan will have a couple more sneaks for us at cf.Objective(ANZ)... I'm still holding out for XML/tag literals in script, hehehe...

qThings = <cfquery>SELECT something FROM things</cfquery>;

:D

Comment 4 by Darrell posted on 10/5/2011 at 7:27 AM

Looking forward to Zeus! Do you know if NTLM support is added to cfhttp or cfsharepoint?

Comment 5 by Raymond Camden posted on 10/5/2011 at 9:24 AM

+Darrell: If I didn't say it the preso, then I can't say it here. ;)

Comment 6 by Raymond Camden posted on 10/5/2011 at 5:28 PM

So it definitely looks like the video is cut off. No idea why guys. I'm going to see if I can give it again, perhaps via Charlie's online meetup, but I've got a few other upcoming presos that I'm _way_ behind on and need to focus on. It would not be for a few weeks.

I can also say that I'm hoping to start a blog series, probably on Monday, where I go through these features one by one.

Comment 7 by Roland Collins posted on 10/5/2011 at 8:54 PM

Ray,

Great information!

I know it's not the "sexy" stuff, but in my opinion, the really great new features are the security stuff. Many of us have spent a lot of time over the years writing complicated workarounds to fix some of these issues that are now getting baked-in support. If you could do a security series, it would be awesome.

Some quick feedback that you may be able to give Adobe - "invalidateSession" and "rotateSession" would be better as "sessionInvalidate" and "sessionRotate". (nounVerb instead of verbNoun") It's more consistent with the other functions we already have (imageNew, imageResize, fileOpen, fileWrite, etc) and it also keeps the functions "grouped" better in documentation, easier to find in auto-complete lists, etc.

Comment 8 by Adam Cameron posted on 10/6/2011 at 1:41 AM

Good presentation mate, cheers. What did you go on to talk about after the video cuts off?

I presume you chatted to people in the bar afterwards... what were people's thoughts about the features you presented? What are people going "cool!" or "hmmm..." about?

Cheers again.

Adam

Comment 9 by AXL posted on 10/10/2011 at 7:22 AM

You mentioned me a new feature (implicit constructor?) in your <a href="http://www.coldfusionjedi.c..." target="_blank">Friday Puzzler: Family Tree Simulation</a>. I saw it on your 'preso' slide(CFC implicit constructors, method chaining, implicit notation), but it was cut off and I couldn't see the part.

It's not a very exciting new feature comparing with other security stuff you presented, but it would be nice if you can talk about it here.

Comment 10 by Raymond Camden posted on 10/10/2011 at 6:00 PM

I am planning a blog series soon on Zeus. That feature is on my list. No ETA though.

Comment 11 by AXL posted on 10/11/2011 at 3:34 PM

Great. I'm looking forward to seeing them.
BTW, what's ETA?

Comment 12 by Raymond Camden posted on 10/11/2011 at 3:41 PM

I asked the product manager 2 times and he said yes 2 times, but I'm super anal about stuff like this so I asked him a -3rd- time.