Muse available on Adobe Labs

Today we've released another new beta to Adobe Labs, Muse. What is Muse? To quote labs:

Muse (codename) enables designers to create websites as easily as creating a layout for print. Design and publish original HTML pages using the latest web standards, and without writing code.

Now - I know that is not something that will probably interest most of my readers. I definitely have a more developer-heavy crowd then designer. However, I do think you should check out Muse anyway. Why? It's an AIR-based application and easily one of the most impressive ones I've ever seen. The site tree, for example, works really well.

The design aspect feels pretty powerful too. You can drag and drop widgets in that tie into data (for example, a menu that links to your site plan) or your file system. The output HTML is kinda clean too.

For more information, and a FAQ on pricing, check out the site: http://muse.adobe.com. As I said, I don't expect many of my readers to need this tool, but I strongly recommend downloading and playing with it. It is a great example of what's possible with Adobe AIR.

Comment 1 by Mike posted on 8/15/2011 at 8:46 PM

So I downloaded it just to give it a shot and checked out some of the samples they had online and while it seems cool I found the sites to load kind of slow, like they were not fully optimized for web? Also the interface seemed kind of clunky, powerful yes but just felt like I said clunky. Maybe they will make it better once its golden.

Thanks for the heads up though.

Comment 2 by Jaana Gilbert posted on 8/15/2011 at 9:42 PM

I do both coding and design so I downloaded it as soon as I got the email from Adobe. Looks interesting so far and will play more with it tonight.

Comment 3 by Paul posted on 8/15/2011 at 9:48 PM

Has many shades of Indesign with a Dreamweaver outer candy coating. Based on the video I saw.

Comment 4 by Steve posted on 8/15/2011 at 11:17 PM

I'm with Jaana... do both design and coding. It looks to be VERY interesting for me in that sense.

HTML snippets (i.e. CF built widgets) might be enough, but I could imagine this as also/or being a full-fledged front end to design CF based and data driven apps... mmmmmm! Hope Adobe does too!

Will be following it's progress very intently!

Comment 5 by lawrencem49 posted on 8/16/2011 at 7:46 AM

Adobe's version of Frontpage (remember that)?

Comment 6 by Saul posted on 8/17/2011 at 2:35 AM

Netobjects Fusion have had a product that looks identical for 10 years. Im struggling to see the USP

Comment 7 by Jaana Gilbert posted on 8/17/2011 at 2:47 AM

Netobjects Fusion was a horrible product! I stopped using it in early 2000. I'm sure it's changed a lot since then.

Muse has the big benefit of it being an Adobe product and most likely it will integrate with PhotoShop, Fireworks and/or Illustrator and other Adobe products.

Comment 8 by Chantelle posted on 9/20/2011 at 4:21 AM

You have to give a little to get a little and Adobe Muse gives a lot to print designers, see some other thoughts http://browsingideas.com/ad...