I'm joining Adobe

I've been hinting around about this for the past few days on Twitter, but I'm finally able to make it public. As of July 11th I'll be joining Adobe as an Evangelist. My primary focus will be on Flex, AIR and Flash Builder but I'll also continue to talk about jQuery Mobile as well. Obviously I've got some interest in ColdFusion so you can expect to still see me speaking/blogging ColdFusion topics as well. (And this is one evangelist who will never use PHP for his demos thank you very much.) This is the most excited I've been in the past decade. I've made my support for Adobe and their tools very clear here and to anyone who would ask. I love what they are doing and how they are doing it. I love sharing that with others most of all. There's something absolutely magical about showing people technology and I now I get to do that as a full time job. I feel like I've been given a dream job. I know it's going to be a lot of hard work - and I still have a lot to learn myself.

I've had a great place of employment over the last year and a half. FirstComp is a wonderful organization with some incredibly smart folks (and crazy ... in a good way... mostly ;) I'll miss them and wish them the best of luck.

Comment 1 by Greg Wilson posted on 6/21/2011 at 1:49 AM

Welcome Ray!!

Comment 2 by Ben Forta posted on 6/21/2011 at 1:49 AM

Want to be the first to comment, so ...

Welcome aboard, excited to finally have you on the team!

--- Ben

Comment 3 by Andrew Scott posted on 6/21/2011 at 1:50 AM

Congrats Ray.

Comment 4 by Raymond Camden posted on 6/21/2011 at 1:50 AM

My first comment is from my new boss. :)

Comment 5 by Ben Forta posted on 6/21/2011 at 1:50 AM

Grrrrrrr, Greg beat me to it! :-(

Comment 6 by Scott Stroz posted on 6/21/2011 at 1:50 AM

Congrats, my friend!

Comment 7 by Jeff Coughlin posted on 6/21/2011 at 1:50 AM

Congrats Ray!

Comment 8 by CD posted on 6/21/2011 at 1:53 AM

Hope someday I'm good enough to join your ranks. Congratulations, Ray! Laissez les bon temps rouler!

Comment 9 by Daniel Sellers posted on 6/21/2011 at 1:57 AM

Congrats Ray!

Comment 10 by andy matthews posted on 6/21/2011 at 1:58 AM

Huge congratulations Ray. A good fit indeed.

Comment 11 by Donny posted on 6/21/2011 at 1:58 AM

Congratulations, what a perfect match!

Comment 12 by inj posted on 6/21/2011 at 1:59 AM

Congratulations!

Comment 13 by Richard Hefter posted on 6/21/2011 at 1:59 AM

Congrats. Will you still be blogging about CF (it is an Adobe product).

Comment 14 by Jason Durham posted on 6/21/2011 at 2:00 AM

There goes the neighborhood! :o)

'Grats on the new job!

Comment 15 by Brian W. posted on 6/21/2011 at 2:01 AM

{makes happy wookiee sound}

Congrats Ray - well deserved!

Comment 16 by Ben Nadel posted on 6/21/2011 at 2:03 AM

Holy cow! Welcome to awesome town :) That's wicked cool!

Comment 17 by Lawrence Cramer posted on 6/21/2011 at 2:04 AM

Outstanding news Ray! The development community and Adobe will the better for it!

Comment 18 by Rachel Luxemburg posted on 6/21/2011 at 2:04 AM

I am so thrilled to finally have you on Team Adobe, Ray! :) Welcome!

Comment 19 by Raymond Camden posted on 6/21/2011 at 2:04 AM

Richard: I'll stop talking about ColdFusion the day I stop talking completley. ;) Seriously though - I'm still running the ColdFusion Unconference at MAX, and I get to sneak out some info on the next version as an official MAX session.

Comment 20 by Mel Williams posted on 6/21/2011 at 2:04 AM

That is so awesome! Congrats!!

Comment 21 by Charlie Griefer posted on 6/21/2011 at 2:05 AM

Huge congrats, man. I can only imagine how psyched you are. Very happy for you.

Comment 22 by Joseph Labrecque posted on 6/21/2011 at 2:08 AM

That's super cool! Congrats and best wishes!

Comment 23 by Henry posted on 6/21/2011 at 2:11 AM

Woohoo! How is the mothership? :)

Comment 24 by Rick Mason posted on 6/21/2011 at 2:11 AM

Congratulations Ray! Well deserved.

Comment 25 by Tim Cunningham posted on 6/21/2011 at 2:14 AM

Congrats! I am sure this is personally exciting for you and will be a boon for Adobe as well.

But am I being selfish when I say I am disappointed that you are not coming on as a ColdFusion Evangelist? I know you will always love ColdFusion, but your focus is going to shift. Much the way Ben Forta's focus has shifted. Every once in a while, you seen Ben discuss ColdFusion. You talk about it publicly everyday, currently.

As a person who has shared many a beer with you, I am so pleased for the personal challenges ahead of you. As an executive at a company that employs a lot of CF Devs, I feel a bit poorer after this announcement. Maybe someday someone can fill the role that you currently fill as the "Chairman of the Board" of our CF Community, as you become more engrossed in the Flex/Air world, just hard to imagine who that would be.

-- Tim

PS: boyzoid this is not FUD, just my gut emotional reaction. I may well feel differently in a week, so no grenades right?

Comment 26 by John Sieber posted on 6/21/2011 at 2:15 AM

Congratulations! This sounds like an awesome opportunity and I think you will be perfect in this role!

Comment 27 by Greg Hamer posted on 6/21/2011 at 2:15 AM

Awesome!!!

Adobe has *the best* evangelism team.

Only by wooing and courting someone of your caliber do they continue to keep it that way!

For my fellow CF'ers who worry about Adobe's commitment to ColdFusion, now I can just say your name as a statement of Adobe's commitment.

Congratulations Ray!

Best regards,

g

P.S. When will your profile be up on: http://adobeEvangelists.com/

Comment 28 by Raymond Camden posted on 6/21/2011 at 2:16 AM

Tim, I can promise you, I'm not going to talk any less about ColdFusion. Nor will I stop being involved - especially with what is going on now that I can't talk about here.

Comment 29 by Steven Erat posted on 6/21/2011 at 2:18 AM

Congratulations Ray! I'm excited there will a ColdFusion champion on board those teams. Good times.

Comment 30 by Tim Cunningham posted on 6/21/2011 at 2:19 AM

Ray, I hope so man. You really are the "Chairman of the Board" regarding all things CFs.

Comment 31 by Raymond Camden posted on 6/21/2011 at 2:19 AM

@Greg Hamer: My boss, also a Greg (1st comment above) runs that. Bugging him now. ;)

Comment 32 by Bob Chesley posted on 6/21/2011 at 2:33 AM

Nice! The force is strong with you.

Comment 33 by Rex posted on 6/21/2011 at 2:35 AM

WOW! Congrats! You are an awesome guy and this is well-deserved!

Comment 34 by Matt Gifford posted on 6/21/2011 at 2:35 AM

About time! Congratulations, Ray! :)

Comment 35 by Dan Wilson posted on 6/21/2011 at 2:36 AM

Well done and well deserved.

If there is anything I can do to help you in your transition, please let me know.

DW

Comment 36 by denstar posted on 6/21/2011 at 2:38 AM

WOOHOO! I know you're stoked which makes me stoked. Congratulations!

Comment 37 by Mark Mandel posted on 6/21/2011 at 2:38 AM

Congratulations! That is wonderful news!

Well deserved!

Comment 38 by Dave Ferguson posted on 6/21/2011 at 2:41 AM

Congratulations to you sir.

Comment 39 by Ben Forta posted on 6/21/2011 at 2:41 AM

Tim, you'll be pleased to know that the first tasks we have lined up for Ray are all CF tasks. Bottom line, we want Ray on the team in large part because of his CF expertise and passion, not to squelch that. Promise!

--- Ben

Comment 40 by Tim Cunningham posted on 6/21/2011 at 2:47 AM

Ben,

Thanks for the reassurance. After some more reflection, perhaps Ray can convince the rest of the Adobe world (that has yet to drink the koolaid) of the value of ColdFusion. He can be our trojan horse.

Comment 41 by Carl Von Stetten posted on 6/21/2011 at 2:59 AM

Congratulations Ray! You've done so much to help the community (and I've certainly learned a lot from you). About time you get paid for promoting CF and related products!!! 8)

Comment 42 by Andrew Muller posted on 6/21/2011 at 3:00 AM

Congratulations Ray! Hopefully this means we might see you Down Under one day.

Comment 43 by Sam Farmer posted on 6/21/2011 at 3:08 AM

Congratulations Ray! Sounds exciting.

Comment 44 by Phil Duba posted on 6/21/2011 at 3:09 AM

Congrats Ray!

Comment 45 by Edward posted on 6/21/2011 at 3:15 AM

They couldn't have picked a more deserving person :)

Congrats Ray ...

Comment 46 by Edward Trudeau posted on 6/21/2011 at 3:21 AM

Congratulations, Ray! This is great news, not only because you'll get your dream job, but because it builds confidence in those of us who love CF that it's going to be everywhere Adobe goes! Best of luck, and looking forward to MAX

/ejt

Comment 47 by @RogerTheGeek posted on 6/21/2011 at 3:24 AM

Tim, I had the same concerns when Ray announced his move, but it sounds like there is support for ColdFusion by the evangelist team. We wait for further announcements from Adobe on the product manager front. I get a little nauseous every time I see an Adobe advertisement including the letters PHP.
The big thing here is the great opportunity for Ray and his career. Congratulations to a well earned opportunity!

Comment 48 by Brian Swartzfager posted on 6/21/2011 at 3:31 AM

Congrats, Ray! An excellent match for both sides, and well-deserved.

Comment 49 by Deepa Subramaniam posted on 6/21/2011 at 3:40 AM

Rad! Welcome to the family :)

Comment 50 by Brian Meloche posted on 6/21/2011 at 3:41 AM

Congrats, Ray! When I heard you were joining Adobe (before knowing for what; I hadn't read the blog post yet), I thought, "Cool! Ray's going to be the next Product Manager for CF!" I was a little disappointed when I heard that you weren't... but I think you were always meant to be an evangelist at Adobe, so this is great! Seriously, congrats!!!

Comment 51 by Topper posted on 6/21/2011 at 3:41 AM

Well done Ray, I'm expecting great things. :-D

Comment 52 by Jason Delmore posted on 6/21/2011 at 3:51 AM

Ray,

From all the folks at FirstComp, we will miss you. I can definitely understand the appeal of Adobe. :) Congratulations!

Jason
P.S. If anyone is interested in Ray's old job drop me a line. ;)

Comment 53 by Fabiano Magno Pechibella posted on 6/21/2011 at 3:58 AM

Congratulations Ray! Long life to the Coldfusion!

Hugs from Brazil!

Comment 54 by Terry Ryan posted on 6/21/2011 at 3:59 AM

Sorry so late to the official announcement. Congrats, and welcome to the team.

Comment 55 by Chris posted on 6/21/2011 at 3:59 AM

Congrats Ray! Does this mean you can get me a free ipad2 also? :)

Comment 56 by Jason Fisher posted on 6/21/2011 at 4:00 AM

Nice, Ray! Way to go, and I hope you love it as much as Adobe will love having you around.

Comment 57 by Bob Silverberg posted on 6/21/2011 at 4:04 AM

Congratulations Ray! Obviously well deserved, and it will be great for the CF community to have another one of us on the inside.

Comment 58 by Joe Rinehart posted on 6/21/2011 at 4:33 AM

Congrats Ray! You're already an excellent voice for the community, and I can't wait to see what happens when being so is your full-time job.

Comment 59 by phill.nacel!li posted on 6/21/2011 at 4:41 AM

Congratulations Ray!

Thanks for all you have done and will now continue to do in an official capacity at Adobe. You are a class act and Ben's team is better for it. All the best buddy!

(lol, as I'm typing this, I'm hearing the Blackberry ad on TV with the "Flash.... ahhhaaaaaa!" on the background!)

Comment 60 by todd sharp posted on 6/21/2011 at 4:59 AM

I'm happy to be the....60th person...to congratulate you Ray. I'm really, really thrilled that you're getting this opportunity. I know it's a dream come true for you.

Comment 61 by Charlie Arehart posted on 6/21/2011 at 5:05 AM

Wowwie-zing. Congrats, dude (and to Adobe, and to the CF community, and given your new role, much of the Adobe community!)

Comment 62 by Gareth Arch posted on 6/21/2011 at 5:35 AM

Congrats!

Comment 63 by -paul posted on 6/21/2011 at 5:52 AM

Congratulations! Hoping to see some more great speaking/writing/docs!

Comment 64 by Scott posted on 6/21/2011 at 6:27 AM

Congrats!

Comment 65 by Alirio Antonio Boquin A. posted on 6/21/2011 at 6:46 AM

WOW, Raymond

I knew this will be come true sooner o later, you deserve it congratulations and thank you for all of this years to support the ColdFusion Community and than you for your patient with our odd questions sometimes.

Incredible enterprise need incredible people and your incredible, again congratulations my friend!

Good Luck in this new phase of your life

Comment 66 by Alexandru Costin posted on 6/21/2011 at 7:25 AM

Congratulations! :) Looking forward to see you around.

Comment 67 by Richard Turner-Jones posted on 6/21/2011 at 7:48 AM

As all have said before me: Congratulations on making the team!

Comment 68 by Koteswar Rao posted on 6/21/2011 at 9:40 AM

Congratulations :)

Comment 69 by Jason Haritou posted on 6/21/2011 at 9:42 AM

Many many congratulations Ray!

Comment 70 by Guust Nieuwenhuis posted on 6/21/2011 at 10:16 AM

WoW! Congratulations!

Comment 71 by Cyril Hanquez posted on 6/21/2011 at 11:48 AM

Congrats Ray! I knew that it would happen one day or another... :-)

Comment 72 by Stephen Adams posted on 6/21/2011 at 12:40 PM

Congrats! Surprised you didn't get this job before, but you have been doing it on a unofficial basis for year. Well done!!

Comment 73 by Steve W posted on 6/21/2011 at 2:09 PM

Congratulations! Truly a dream job. From a selfish perspective this is awesome because I can now learn more about Flex (with a CF back end).

Comment 74 by Mihai Baboi posted on 6/21/2011 at 2:41 PM

Well, finally... Congrats and all the best as an Adobe team member. :)

Comment 75 by Raymond Camden posted on 6/21/2011 at 2:53 PM

To the poor souls who commented here and checked "Subscribe", I'm sorry. ;)

To everyone - thank you. The show of support has me smiling ear to ear.

Comment 76 by Lola LB posted on 6/21/2011 at 2:58 PM

Are you still going to be bugging companies to fix their bugs on their CF-run sites?

Comment 77 by Raymond Camden posted on 6/21/2011 at 3:00 PM

Heh - yes. Especially since - for whatever reason - the companies I reach out to lately actually respond. Maybe security issues are finally getting important to people.

Comment 78 by Steve &aposCutter&apos Blades posted on 6/21/2011 at 3:28 PM

Congratulations Ray! I can think of no one better suited to the tasks ahead than yourself. May your future be bright, the path clear, and your stride lengthened with joy, happiness, and prosperity.

Comment 79 by Dan Fredericks posted on 6/21/2011 at 3:36 PM

I always thought you were basically an Adobe employee anyway, now they actually will be paying you for all you do :)
Congrats!!!

Comment 80 by Kevin Roche posted on 6/21/2011 at 3:53 PM

Congratulations Ray

Comment 81 by Chris Pfeffer posted on 6/21/2011 at 4:04 PM

Ray, will you please fight for a Flash Builder/ColdFusion Builder for linux? :)

Comment 82 by Gary Fenton posted on 6/21/2011 at 4:26 PM

Well done Ray! :-) I hope Adobe use your enthusiasm, experience, and your skills of being able to explain technical things clearly to PROMOTE COLDFUSION! As someone else said, for selfish reasons I love your blog for everything it teaches people (from newbies to veterans) about CF.

Best of luck and don't stop blogging!

Comment 83 by CF Gurney posted on 6/21/2011 at 4:31 PM

All the best, Ray.

Comment 84 by Nic Tunney posted on 6/21/2011 at 4:32 PM

Sweet Ray! Well deserved. The product will be in good hands.

Comment 85 by Landon posted on 6/21/2011 at 4:48 PM

Congrats Ray! Nice to see you up on the Evangelist Super Blog!

Comment 86 by Brian Rinaldi posted on 6/21/2011 at 4:54 PM

Great! I have already created a rule in my Outlook inbox that redirects all complaints to you.

Congrats Ray. The evangelism team is lucky to have you.

Comment 87 by David R posted on 6/21/2011 at 5:06 PM

Congrats Ray!.

Comment 88 by Michael posted on 6/21/2011 at 5:06 PM

A natural, and welcome progression. I am actually surprised it took this long. Much like when @Ben made this move back in the day, you too are the right kind of community leader to be handed the "evangelist" hat for the Adobe team.

This blog has been important to so many out there, and part of why you the above statements are so true. Please keep spreading the word of the power of CF, etc. online in some way/shape/form. Hopefully this position will allow you to do even more of what you have done so well in your spare time.

Comment 89 by Sid Wing posted on 6/21/2011 at 5:12 PM

DUDE!!! Congrats, Man! When I grow up I wanna be a Jedi too!!! :-)

Comment 90 by James, F.E. posted on 6/21/2011 at 5:15 PM

Congratulations! Good luck in your new position.

Comment 91 by Mike Hodgson posted on 6/21/2011 at 5:32 PM

Congrats Ray! They could not have picked a better person!

Comment 92 by David Rubin posted on 6/21/2011 at 5:39 PM

Congratulations!!! I'm sure this blog and all your efforts will only get better!

Comment 93 by Joel Cox posted on 6/21/2011 at 5:52 PM

Congratulations, Ray!

Comment 94 by Adrian J. Moreno posted on 6/21/2011 at 6:18 PM

Congrats!

Comment 95 by Jason Presley posted on 6/21/2011 at 6:26 PM

Congratulations Ray. I do however trust that even though you are in more of an official role your demo's will still not lack in references to the greatest duo of movie trilogies of all times? :)

Comment 96 by Raymond Camden posted on 6/21/2011 at 6:29 PM

@Jason: I'm already checking to see if I can get the jedimaster@adobe.com alias. :)

Comment 97 by John Allen posted on 6/21/2011 at 6:47 PM

CONGRATS! Kewl job!

Comment 98 by Charles Sherman posted on 6/21/2011 at 7:27 PM

Congrats.

Now about that copy of the Master Collection your were going to send me...

Comment 99 by Mike Collins posted on 6/21/2011 at 7:50 PM

I saw your tweet on Sunday and this was my first thought, although the FB thing threw me of course. Just another sign of some pending large news around CF. What could it be!
congrats.

Comment 100 by Doug posted on 6/21/2011 at 8:00 PM

Well, I was going to offer my congrats, but instead I'll just say that your pic is freaking me out John Allen.

Comment 101 by prims posted on 6/22/2011 at 12:22 AM

Congrats jedi master.

Comment 102 by Aaron Neff posted on 6/22/2011 at 12:27 AM

*Well* deserved. Congrats Ray!

Comment 103 by Brad Ascar posted on 6/22/2011 at 3:40 AM

Congrats! Well deserved and really great for the whole CF community. Don't slow down on the blogging ;)

Comment 104 by Seth Johnson posted on 6/22/2011 at 5:55 AM

Congrats Ray! Will this mean a relocation for you? Perhaps to the Boston area?

Comment 105 by Raymond Camden posted on 6/22/2011 at 5:57 AM

No. Heck no. Love Boston.... but not to live there. Too darn cold. In fact, if I could move south into Mexico I wouldn't mind.

Comment 106 by Seth Johnson posted on 6/22/2011 at 6:10 AM

The Adobe building in Waltham is amazing. Was hoping we might catch up at a Boston CFUG meeting... Selfish of me, I know.

Comment 107 by Raymond Camden posted on 6/22/2011 at 6:16 AM

When I travel, I try to check in with the local UG to see if there is a meeting around that time. If I hit Boston, I'll definitely check in.

Comment 108 by thinman posted on 6/22/2011 at 7:02 AM

Dammit. No more freebies. Crap. Crapola.
I mean: Yay! Congratulations!

Comment 109 by Don posted on 6/22/2011 at 6:50 PM

Congrats, Ray! I won't be seeing you in the office, but I am happy to know you are there.

Comment 110 by Luc Bertrand posted on 6/25/2011 at 6:22 AM

Congrats...

Comment 111 by Keith Craigo posted on 6/26/2011 at 11:53 PM

Congratulations.

Comment 112 by Harry posted on 6/27/2011 at 2:54 PM

Congrats even from far away Europe. This is great for Adobe! Harry & the whole CONTENS team.

Comment 113 by Lance posted on 6/28/2011 at 4:38 PM

More congrats, Ray. Not just anyone can say "I work for Adobe". And, like everyone else who's said it before, I'm glad we'll have another CF proponent there. Please don't lose your passion for CF!

Comment 114 by Darren posted on 6/28/2011 at 5:58 PM

Congratulations from me and the rest of the FusionReactor guys too!

Comment 115 by Railo-ist posted on 8/2/2011 at 6:43 AM

Congrats Ray! You are now official (and no longer the unofficial adobe evangelist)!

But seriously, hope you do continue to blog and experiment with Coldfusion.

Comment 116 by Allex Kelly posted on 12/20/2011 at 5:27 PM

Love to say Congrats to you. Hope you can perform well in new world. I know you will be very popular in Adobe world. Keep it up!