Getting file information in ColdFusion Builder (or Eclipse in general)

Jim asked:

Hi Ray,

I'm a longtime reader (Deathclock.com anyone?), but today I'm finally asking a question of my own.

I'm trying to transition from CFStudio to CFBuilder2 - my workflow is remote and primarily FTP based. In Studio - and most other editors I've used - the file explorer is split into two windows. One window for directory navigation and the other window to show the files contained in the directories.

So for a directory named /foo I might see several files in the file window:

bar.cfm test.cfm index.cfm

This is my question: how can I see the file attributes in CFBuilder2? Studio (and Dreamweaver I believe) shows the file size, type and date modified and makes it easy to sort by each.

The view you mentioned is probably the #1 thing that I missed when I transitioned from HomeSite++ to CFEclipse (and then CFBuilder) a few years ago. Like most things in Eclipse the answer is a bit complicated and fuzzy. First off - the closest thing you would have to that old view is the RDS File View. I don't use this view very often myself. (I make a heck of a lot of use of the RDS Dataview though.) Once you've defined an RDS server you can browse the file system on top and the files below:

Unfortunately you can't actually sort the columns. They are clickable for sure, but not sortable. If someone files a bug report for that I'd gladly vote for it!

If you just want to quickly get file information (size, last modified) and you don't make use of the RDS view, don't forget you can right click on a file in a Navigator project and select Properties:

You can also do this with the "File" view:

Hope this helps!

Comment 1 by Mike Henke posted on 5/4/2011 at 6:44 PM

Does the Properties view work with the RDS Fileview view? With the Navigator View, if I also have the Properties view open and click on a file in the Navigator, I see info like editable, last modified, location, name, path, and size.

Comment 2 by Raymond Camden posted on 5/4/2011 at 6:49 PM

No. I see options to rename or delete the file. (There are other options to - but these are the ones specific to the file you right click on.)

Comment 3 by Mike Henke posted on 5/4/2011 at 6:58 PM

Bummer. Here is screenshot of the navigator and properties views working together http://bit.ly/kCGKFc

Comment 4 by Raymond Camden posted on 5/4/2011 at 7:13 PM

Hey - how did you get the properties there? Oh - there is a Properties view! Nice - thanks man - you taught me something new. :)

Comment 5 by Jim posted on 5/4/2011 at 7:23 PM

Nice! Thanks Ray!

Comment 6 by larry c lyons posted on 6/17/2011 at 6:48 PM

hey RAy, Is there any way to export this data? I'm going through a huge site right now and would love to be able to export this or the search view list to a spreadsheet.

Comment 7 by Raymond Camden posted on 6/17/2011 at 6:54 PM

Not that I know of, but it would be trivial to do in ColdFusion itself of course. I don't suppose you need an example of that, right?

Comment 8 by larry c lyons posted on 6/17/2011 at 6:57 PM

lol.

Actually for this PCI compliance project my boss was bugging me a bit because in Dreamweaver you can export search results. I was hoping that there was an easy way to do it in Builder, or for that matter Eclipse in general. I guess I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and look into writing and extension. Along with everything else I have to do. Who needs sleep anyhow.

Comment 9 by Raymond Camden posted on 6/17/2011 at 7:00 PM

Heh, an extension could be done to do this in like 5 minutes. Want to race? :)

Comment 10 by larry c lyons posted on 6/17/2011 at 7:01 PM

Well given that I haven't tried writing an extension yet, I'll concede the race.

Comment 11 by Raymond Camden posted on 6/17/2011 at 7:05 PM

Larry, you can start writing an extension right away. It's easy. I've got a recorded session on it actually. Give it a shot. I'll be more than happy to help you (via direct email). I think this could be a cool little extension.

Comment 12 by larry c lyons posted on 6/17/2011 at 7:26 PM

At best I might be able to get started this weekend. But until we bet this PCI compliance stuff done I'm swamped.

Actually I've been meaning to learn how. I use a fair number of extensions already (appcfc, cfquickdocs, cflib, apptacular etc). But I've been meaning to write one that helps me set up the initial work on a new site.