New (and very annoying) Chrome behavior - blocking access to your own pages

So I run the latest and greatest dev version of Chrome (currently 10.0.634.0) so I expect a few... irregularities from time to time. But this one threw me for a loop. I was testing some code on my local server (see this blog post if you are curious about the bug) and ColdFusion was throwing errors left and right. I expected this. But after about 5 reloads all of a sudden I got:

Read that carefully. Chrome decided to prevent me from "making the situation worse" and prevented me from hitting the site. If I waited a few seconds then I was "allowed" to run the page again. Now luckily the message is very clear on how to get around this. But I wanted to throw this out to my audience in case they run into it, or in case they run into clients reporting it.

Personally I think this is a huge mistake. I get what they are trying to do here but I can see this backfiring in a big way. You would think it would be smart enough to at least skip the check for localhost.

Comment 1 by Mark Kruger posted on 1/14/2011 at 3:50 AM

Seems a little bit "big brotherish" to me. I wonder if the goal is to help the user ("hey.. this site is too slow right now.. why not go somewhere else?"). The site ("let's minimize traffic till they catch up") or Chrome (We want to make sure you know that it's not Chrome that is the problem - it's this dog-slow site over here).

-Mark

Comment 2 by John C. Bland II posted on 1/14/2011 at 3:55 AM

OMG! This is so annoying.

Wow...if I had only read it. LMBO. I had no idea I could turn it off.

I literally started testing in Safari for a spell to get around this. Thx for pointing out the instructions were right there!

Comment 3 by Dave posted on 1/14/2011 at 4:56 AM

I have come to the conclusion that google is indeed evil.

Comment 4 by PaulH posted on 1/14/2011 at 7:08 AM

10.0.x is still "beta" so there's going to be "stuff" happening (i don't much like not being able to debug flex apps in chrome or that chrome swallows all uncaught flash errors).

in any case, did you tell google? http://code.google.com/p/ch...

Comment 5 by Kerr posted on 1/14/2011 at 10:00 AM

I found this "feature" extremely annoying as well. I didn't know about how to disable it either, thanks for the tip.

Comment 6 by Kerr posted on 1/14/2011 at 10:05 AM

Oh, and I'm using 9.0.597.47, which doesn't list the command line switch option for some reason.

Comment 7 by Peter Boughton posted on 1/14/2011 at 3:02 PM

Does the command line switch disable it permanently, or just for that session?

And *why* is it a command line switch and not in Options?

In any case, this is yet another reason to switch to Opera.

Comment 8 by Eric Ryan Jones posted on 1/14/2011 at 8:36 PM

It is a feature and you and I aren't the only ones annoyed with it.. i've been following this since day one... it WAS a whole lot worse in that we were unable to turn it off.

Comment 9 by Raymond Camden posted on 1/14/2011 at 8:40 PM

Wow, thanks Eric. This seems REALLY bonehead on their part. But - who am I to disagree with our lord and master Google. ;)

Comment 10 by Michael Lunsford posted on 1/14/2011 at 8:51 PM

I'm no lawyer, but this new "feature" seems to be a violation of the FCC's new "net neutrality" rules. What do you think?

Comment 11 by Sam Farmer posted on 1/14/2011 at 10:59 PM

Actually I quite like the feature. Its a good challenge to write less buggy code.

Comment 12 by Dominic Watson posted on 1/14/2011 at 11:55 PM

I almost like the sound of it but think the implementation isn't quite there. Certainly, ignoring localhost or anything resolving to a private ip would be a good start. Even better would be an interface right there for the user to instantly turn it off, either browser wide or site specific.

Good job it's beta eh, perhaps they'll respond to the outcry :)

Comment 13 by Tin Foil Hatter posted on 1/15/2011 at 2:54 AM

'Seems a little bit "big brotherish" to me. I wonder if the goal is to help the user ("hey.. this site is too slow right now.. why not go somewhere else?").'

Actually, that sounds like it fits in really nicely with their backdoor deals with Verizon regarding any future end-runs around Net Neutrality.

If driving viewers away from the the poor-people's websites through sheer impatience isn't sufficient, this "feature" will effectively make viewing sites that aren't paying to be on "the fast lane" 100% inaccessable to the tech illiterate.

Comment 14 by Brad posted on 1/15/2011 at 6:11 AM

When you are debugging a site, 500's are natural.

When you are debugging a buggy site for extended periods of time, frustration is natural.

Add this little annoyance on top of it? Raging programmer.

I honestly hate this screen. Nearly the worst idea in Chrome! Who cares if I want to hit f5 a hundred times? :[