Doozy of a bug to watch out for - ColdFusion ORM, logging, and TailView

This post is more than 2 years old.

Wow, so this one came out of left field. Earlier this week I looked into playing with secondary caching in ORM. I've only scratched the surface of this yet, but I'm amazed at how easy it is to use and how quickly it can begin to increase your performance. I'll try to gather some URLs later but that's not the point of my post here. While testing my site changes I it suddenly stopped responding. I could hit CFMs outside of my site and the CF Admin just fine. But any request for my site just hung. I restarted ColdFusion but it didn't help. Finally I did a complete machine restart and it worked - but only for a few requests. At this point I did what everyone should do - hit up the Server Monitor. I confirmed that my requests were hanging and confirmed in the stack trace that they were stuck on an ORM related function. Next I went to the Snapshots tab and generated a snapshot. The snapshot was large... and pretty much 100% incomprehensible. Luckily I've got smart friends.

A lot of people responded to my call for help, but Pete Freitag noticed something logging related in the snapshot. I had ORM logging turned on so I decided the first thing I'd try disabling that feature... but before I did so I decided to try something else. I'm a huge fan of TailView within ColdFusion Builder. I use logging as a low-fi/quickie way of debugging and TailView makes it easy to monitor those files. On a whim I just shut down ColdFusion Builder while I had an open, not-responding, request for my ORM site. Bam! The second ColdFusion Builder closed my site responded. (Oh, and I'm not trying to hide what the site was - if folks are curious if was my local copy of Adobe Groups.) I restarted ColdFusion Builder and confirmed my site locked up again. I tried closing the tab just for the log file and it didn't work. It seems as if once CFB locked the file it locked it for good.

I've logged a bug for this - and I'm not sure anyone else will run into it - but if you use TailView be on the lookout. If I get more feedback on the issue from Adobe, or others, I'll post a comment.

Once again - I'm damn lucky to have smart friends. Thanks to everyone who responded to my call (and forgive me for being lazy and not doing links for you all): Pete Freitag, Charlie Arehart, Mike Brunt, Aaron West, Bob Silverberg, Dan Vega, Mark Mandel (actually I shouldn't list him since he made a smart ass remark about me using the 'real' tail command in linux ;), Dave Ferguson, Marc Esher, Curt Gratz.

Raymond Camden's Picture

About Raymond Camden

Raymond is a senior developer evangelist for Adobe. He focuses on document services, JavaScript, and enterprise cat demos. If you like this article, please consider visiting my Amazon Wishlist or donating via PayPal to show your support. You can even buy me a coffee!

Lafayette, LA https://www.raymondcamden.com

Archived Comments

Comment 1 by Matt W posted on 12/1/2010 at 8:39 PM
Comment 2 by Raymond Camden posted on 12/1/2010 at 8:50 PM

Possibly. I'll try that. Thanks!

Comment 3 by Henry posted on 12/2/2010 at 1:25 AM

unfortunately that workaround doesn't always work. I set it to 10s and it still hangs.

Comment 4 by kiran posted on 12/2/2010 at 10:42 AM

Hi If increasing the timeout is not solving the problem. Stop the server from service and start it on the console.

Comment 5 by Raymond Camden posted on 12/2/2010 at 4:33 PM

@kirian: I tried restarting CF - it never helped.

Comment 6 by Rob Dudley posted on 12/3/2010 at 3:49 PM

I've had strange issues with CFB and locking to the point that it interferes with SubClipse on certain source files.

Best guess whichever bit of the Java API Eclipse uses for file IO isn't as bullet proof as it needs to be! This is a shame as Tailview is brilliant for debugging from a Windows machine.

Comment 7 by Henry posted on 12/21/2010 at 11:21 PM

Got this email today from an email with macromedia domain name (Woot!):

Subject: Bug 82441 FIXED

The bug entered on Monday, March 15, 2010 has been marked fixed by Adobe ColdFusion development.

Product Area: General-IDE
Severity: 2 - Serious (Seriously impedes use of product)

Fixed In: CF Builder 2.0 ,RC 1, Build 276327

Description: jrunsvc.exe hogs CPU (50% of a dual-core CPU, close to 90% in one core @ Mem 1,572K) when ormsettings.logsql = "true" in Application.cfc, and more than 1 ORM-releated requests are being processed by ColdFusion. ColdFusion crashed, cannot be restarted.Resolution:restart Windows.

Comment 8 by Raymond Camden posted on 12/22/2010 at 7:02 AM

Nice - thanks for posting that Henry.

Comment 9 by Ryan Arneson posted on 4/22/2011 at 8:43 PM

I just got burned by this, I think. Out of the blue my server hung without a response. Checking the logs I could see that ORM would run my update statement but nothing would process after that. I have my server configured through ColdFusion Builder but was not running it through there, and had no logs open in TailView. I was running it through a terminal window. Sure enough though, closing down CFB resolved my issue. After starting it back up everything is still working. I don't know if this is the same issue, but it does seem distantly related.