New ColdFusion Builder Extension - jsonview

I'm not sure how useful this is, but earlier today I needed to quickly turn a JSON string into formatted data. I could do this in ColdFusion with one line of code, but I wanted it even faster. I found a great online viewer here: http://jsonviewer.stack.hu/ but I thought it would be kind of fun to build it into CFBuilder as well. I whipped up the following extension in about 20 minutes: http://jsonview.riaforge.org. It allows you to enter either a URL or a block of JSON:

Once entered, you just submit the form and can then see the rendered JSON:

Probably not very useful - but heck - once again let me just say how much I fracking love the fact that I was able to extend ColdFusion Builder to meet my needs!

Comment 1 by todd sharp posted on 9/11/2010 at 11:18 PM

I love it! Can't you optionally prepopulate it with selected code?

Comment 2 by Raymond Camden posted on 9/12/2010 at 12:55 AM

CFB supports that - but that felt like a use case I wouldn't need. If my CFM was outputting json, I'd just do the one line there.

Comment 3 by Ben Nadel posted on 9/12/2010 at 2:43 PM

Ray, I've finally started to embrace ColdFusion Builder :) When I switched to Mac, I also went builder. Looking forward to playing around with the extension stuff more. Cool stuff.

On a related note to this, FireBug now has HTML/JSON tabs in their AJAX request monitoring such that if you get a response that is seen as AJAX or HTML, they will give you a tab to see raw data rendered as something. That's been suuuuper helpful for debugging ColdFusion errors that come back in my AJAX :D

Comment 4 by Raymond Camden posted on 9/12/2010 at 6:12 PM

That's nice Ben - but all the cool kids are on Chrome now. You got to catch up. :P Seriously though - that sounds useful. Chrome has nice dev tools that mostly mimic Firebug, but it's not quite as polished.

Comment 5 by Ben Nadel posted on 9/14/2010 at 6:53 AM

@Ray, I've definitely started to use Chrome for a lot of stuff; it's fast and seems to be much better about memory usage (plus, I love how easily I can drag tabs around)... buuuuut, FireFox was my first love and it's hard to give up :)

Comment 6 by Raymond Camden posted on 9/14/2010 at 6:55 AM

What cinched it for me was watching how long it took Firefox to start up. I don't think it was that much slower _after_ but the initial launch was slow as crap.

Comment 7 by Ben Nadel posted on 9/14/2010 at 7:09 AM

Yeah, it truly is a fast app. There's also a few sites (ex. Flickr, ING Direct) that I simply won't use on FireFox as they just kill the browser.