ColdFusion Administrator bug with mappings

Watch out for this one - I almost didn't notice it. Today I went to add a new mapping. It just so happened that the mapping I added was one that already existed. The administrator correctly noticed this and gave me an error:

No big deal, right? I'll just rename mine to /org2 and hit submit.

Ouch. It actually replaced my org mapping. Not the end of the world, but if you had a lot of mappings it could easily be missed. Note - I recommend - almost always - that you use Application specific mappings. In my case though it is a code base I can't modify just yet.

I have filed a bug report for this, but unfortunately the public bug base still hides 901 bugs.

Comment 1 by Andy Allan posted on 8/25/2010 at 12:12 AM

re: App specific mappings, watch out is there is an outstanding bug in regards using them with ExpandPath(), i.e. they don't work.

I logged it ages ago but it's not been fixed yet.

Comment 2 by Raymond Camden posted on 8/25/2010 at 12:20 AM

I've not had issues with expandPath and mappings. What issue do you mean?

Comment 3 by Andy Allan posted on 8/25/2010 at 12:34 AM

I'll dig out a repo but Adobe did confirm it

Comment 4 by phill.nacelli posted on 8/25/2010 at 12:48 AM

There's another bug that's been verified and still being worked on which is the new AMF that comes with CF 9 does not look at per application mappings defined in the Application.cfc file. So if you are using Flex, you have to (for now) add the mapping to the CF Admin. This becomes a problem when you have the same mapping name (ie "com" or "cfc"), in that case you would have to create a separate instance for each application with the appropriate mapping.

Comment 5 by Raymond Camden posted on 8/25/2010 at 12:57 AM

Well that sucks. Is it in terms of the path, ie, your FLex code using com.foo.zoo ad expecting it to match /com/foo/zoo, or is it INSIDE the CFC, so if my Flex code called

remote.service

and /remote/service.cfc used createObject("component", "com.goo") where com is a mapping - would that work? See the difference?

Comment 6 by phill.nacelli posted on 8/25/2010 at 1:07 AM

@Ray

It's apparently in the mapping between a Flex value object (UserVO.as) to the remote ColdFusion value object (User.cfc), apparently it fails when it tries to lookup the mapping in the alias definition: [RemoteClass(alias="com.contactManager.security.user.User")]

Comment 7 by Raymond Camden posted on 8/25/2010 at 1:08 AM

So if you try to return a mapped object, then it fails?

Comment 8 by phill.nacelli posted on 8/25/2010 at 1:19 AM

Correct

Here's the full details on the reported bug: http://cfbugs.adobe.com/cfb...