ColdFusion 9 fixes arrayIsDefined

I coulda sworn I had blogged this earlier but it didn't show up on my search. This just came up in a meeting at work so I thought I'd share. ColdFusion 8 added the arrayIsDefined function. As you can probably guess it let's you check to see if an array has a value at a certain position. However, it had one pretty silly drawback. If your array was had a size of 10 and you checked position 11, you would get an error. Therefore to really check to see if a certain array position existed, you had to use this:

<!--- assume array is called arr and N is the position you want to check ---> <cfif arrayLen(arr) gte n and arrayIsDefined(arr, n)>

ColdFusion 9 though fixes this. So your code can just be:

<!--- assume array is called arr and N is the position you want to check ---> <cfif arrayIsDefined(arr, n)>

Oddly, the docs for arrayIsDefined still insist that you must stay within the bounds of the array. I'm filing a comment now.

Comment 1 by Ben Nadel posted on 4/6/2010 at 11:36 PM

It would be sweet if this functionality worked with isDefined()... as in isDefined( arr[ n ] ).

Comment 2 by Jody Fitzpatrick posted on 4/7/2010 at 4:55 PM

Awe, com'on now Ben it's like 5 characters more :) I can't wait until ColdFusion has the feature

DoAllTheWorkForMe("ProjectName"); Then your application is done. Can't wait,... can't wait.

Comment 3 by Raymond Camden posted on 4/7/2010 at 4:58 PM

@Jody: If we make things too easy, the PHPers and Ruby dev's will commit suicide out of jealousy.

Comment 4 by Ben Nadel posted on 4/7/2010 at 5:00 PM

@Jody,

Ha ha... but isNull() just *looks* cooler :)

Comment 5 by Raymond Camden posted on 4/7/2010 at 5:02 PM

You aren't cool unless you combine isNull with the trenary operator and DE at the same time.

Comment 6 by Ben Nadel posted on 4/7/2010 at 5:14 PM

Ha ha ha :) Might want to throw an IncrementValue() in there for good measure.

Comment 7 by Raymond Camden posted on 4/7/2010 at 5:44 PM

I smell a Friday contest.

Comment 8 by Ben Nadel posted on 4/7/2010 at 5:46 PM

Ha ha, sweeeet :)

Comment 9 by Ben Cass posted on 4/7/2010 at 8:15 PM

What would really be nice is if there were one function that could check if an element in an array of structs (or other complex objects) exists.

E.g. isDefined("my_array[n].element_foo")

Comment 10 by Raymond Camden posted on 4/7/2010 at 10:41 PM

While it doesn't return a boolean, you can do that with structGet. It will attempt to find the variable based on a complex string path. It will even create stuff. So given your example, if my_array existed, but item N did not, and element_foo did not, it would make it.

structGet - the function no one uses! ;)

Comment 11 by evan posted on 6/25/2010 at 5:22 PM

Hi. Call me crazy, but my CF 9 implementation still seems to include the CF 8 style bug. I had to revert back to using arraylen GTE... Anyone else seen this?

Comment 12 by Raymond Camden posted on 6/28/2010 at 5:08 PM

Um, ok, I'm confused now too. I see the same. I swear this worked. Can anyone else check?

Comment 13 by Raymond Camden posted on 6/28/2010 at 11:21 PM

Turns out I was on crack. I have no idea _why_ I put this blog post up when it really didn't work. I apologize folks.

The good news is that I can confirm it is fixed for CF901. You didn't hear that from me though.

Comment 14 by Ben posted on 4/26/2011 at 9:59 PM

Good lord, thank you! What a pain....