Video: Using ColdFusion Builder's SQL Editor

I thought I'd share a quick video demonstrating ColdFusion Builder's SQL editor. What's nice is that there are actually two different editors built in - one old school (and available now) and a new shiny one. Enjoy. (And any comments on the format/viewability/etc of the video are welcome.)

Comment 1 by Chris Ulrich posted on 2/20/2010 at 4:03 AM

Ray - nice video, thanks. One question ... when you ran the query with the sort, it sorted by case? The lower case first, Z-A, then upper case, Z-A?

Is that the program doing that? Does that have something to do with your DB?

Comment 2 by Raymond Camden posted on 2/20/2010 at 4:05 AM

Yes, Derby is case sensitive on sorts.

Comment 3 by Olivier Bridgeman posted on 2/20/2010 at 5:20 AM

Thanks Ray, the Jing video works really well for showing your desktop and the size is great on my screen.

This video post definitely makes me want to work with CF9 and CFBuilder, at least on my local machine. I have CF8 and Eclipse installed at the moment.

Any suggestion on where to start if I want to upgrade? And where to find out about how to make the most of it, stuff like access to db's directly in the IDE like you have?

Comment 4 by Raymond Camden posted on 2/20/2010 at 7:13 AM

"Any suggestion on where to start if I want to upgrade?"

You mean CF? The installer should recognize and perform an update of your CF8 server.

"And where to find out about how to make the most of it, stuff like access to db's directly in the IDE like you have?"

Not quite sure I get your meaning. Are you asking how to do what I showed? It should... just work... but I think I may be misreading your question.

Comment 5 by Pritesh posted on 2/20/2010 at 9:34 AM

Thanks for nice video. I usually work with ms-sql and keep open SQL Server management parallel to eclipse, but this will save my time.

Comment 6 by Marko Simic posted on 2/20/2010 at 6:14 PM

Doh. After so much time spent with CFB I didn't know for this feature :)
However, I prefer Database Explorer that ships, afaik, as part of Eclipse Data Tools , over RDS viewer.
Quote about DTP from Eclipse web site:
"(It provide) Assistance in editing SQL through code completion, formatting, and dialect specialization, greatly enhances productivity. Further, the ability to execute or debug commands, both SQL and stored procedures, rounds out the rapid development process that Eclipse supports so well."

Tho, I am not sure is it possible to install in stand-alone CFB, but I am sure it is if you use plug-in version.

Comment 7 by Sumit Verma posted on 2/21/2010 at 10:24 AM

I love the code insight/completion in-line in the cfquery tag (without opening either tool mentioned by Ray).

It's pretty powerful what CFB offers by connecting to server and analyzing code as we type.

Comment 8 by Jody Fitzpatrick posted on 2/22/2010 at 4:09 PM

Quick Question... Is CFBUILDER going to be paid software onces its finally out of beta?

Comment 9 by Raymond Camden posted on 2/22/2010 at 6:04 PM

There is no _official_ word on that.