The last ColdFusion Builder Extension you will install

I have to begin by apologizing. ColdFusion Builder is - already - a pretty darn cool tool. While it still has warts (and to be fair, it is still in beta), it has been my day to day programming tool for a few months now. One of the cooler features of CFB is how easy it is to extend it with custom extensions. You can find a bunch on RIAForge now. Unfortunately for them, though, I'm releasing an extension today that makes all of them pointless. (Warning, the size of this SWF is rather large - I recorded it on a large screen.)

Removed...

Ok, so if you watched the video and returned, sorry to waste your time. I do have one redeeming point to this blog entry. You may have noticed that the file I was editing in the video was refreshed automatically. Extensions can do this, but there is a typo in the documentation. In order to refresh the file that was right clicked on, you can use the following code (taken from the 'fix bugs' extension):

<cfsetting enablecfoutputonly="true" showdebugoutput="false"> <cfparam name="ideeventinfo"> <cfset data = xmlParse(ideeventinfo)> <cfset myFile = data.event.ide.projectview.resource.xmlAttributes.path> <cfset projectName = data.event.ide.projectview.xmlAttributes.projectname>

<cffile action="read" file="#myfile#" variable="code"> <cfset code = "<cftry>#code#<cfcatch></cfcatch></cftry>"> <cffile action="write" file="#myfile#" output="#code#">

<cfsavecontent variable="res"> <cfoutput> <response> <ide> <commands> <command type="refreshfile"> <params> <param key="filename" value="#myfile#" /> <param key="projectname" value="#projectname#" /> </params> </command> </commands> </ide> </response> </cfoutput> </cfsavecontent>

<cfheader name="Content-Type" value="text/xml"><cfoutput>#res#</cfoutput>

Specifically, I believe the docs say to use <command name="refreshfile">, while what you really want is type instead.

Comment 1 by Will Swain posted on 1/27/2010 at 7:37 PM

Excellent work Ray.

I do hope you realise that you have just made yourself, and me, and every other cf dev redundant. A trained chimp can now build in cf.

Thanks.

Comment 2 by Jim Leether posted on 1/27/2010 at 7:40 PM

Umm yeah....I'll take that Final Option with bacon and....umm....more bacon please.

Comment 3 by Raymond Camden posted on 1/27/2010 at 7:42 PM

You know what's better than bacon?

More bacon.

Comment 4 by Jushwago posted on 1/27/2010 at 8:10 PM

Bacon wrapped in bacon...

The Final Option should link to a "That was easy" button.

Comment 5 by Steve Good posted on 1/27/2010 at 8:11 PM

How do I send you my $1k? Is this a per install license or per app i'm building license? This is going to solve ALL of my problems... Yes, all of them.

Comment 6 by Raymond Camden posted on 1/27/2010 at 8:13 PM

Steve, I believe I said 8k. But for you, I'll make it 7999. Just for opening day though.

If I sell one license, I may be able to buy a Apple Tablet.

Comment 7 by Guust Nieuwenhuis posted on 1/27/2010 at 8:16 PM

Ray, $8.000 is cheap for an extension that allows you to order pizza via your IDE!

Comment 8 by Steve Good posted on 1/27/2010 at 8:16 PM

Well in that case, make it two licenses. What a deal! By the way, here's an absolutely legitimate and real sneak preview of the Apple Tablet. http://www.youtube.com/watc...

Comment 9 by Marko Simic posted on 1/27/2010 at 8:31 PM

Today I haven't heard single joke...and I prefer at least per day. After seeing this, I really don't need any. You made my day :)
Thanks :):)

Comment 10 by Gary Gilbert posted on 1/27/2010 at 8:52 PM

This proves that you are in fact a genious

Comment 11 by Steve posted on 1/27/2010 at 8:55 PM

I'm sold, as long as the "Final Option" option allows me to view the real-time Domino's order status.

Comment 12 by Raymond Camden posted on 1/27/2010 at 9:53 PM

This proves, in fact, that I come up with silly stupid ideas some times. Then again, that can be some of the most fun code to write.

Comment 13 by Jeremy Rottman posted on 1/27/2010 at 10:10 PM

Add a make pretty button option and I am sold. On a side note formatting in cfbuilder is terrible.

Comment 14 by Kris Korsmo posted on 1/27/2010 at 10:16 PM

[in Mr. T voice] You CRAZY, FOO!

Comment 15 by Chris Giminez posted on 1/27/2010 at 10:33 PM

man, I was so excited!
I gotta get on board with Builder though. I fired it up once and jumped back to dreamweaver. Not sure what I'm missing, but something good I am sure.

Comment 16 by Ben Riordan posted on 1/27/2010 at 11:58 PM

Darn it Ray! You've gone and made me order a pizza :)

Comment 17 by Dale Severin posted on 1/28/2010 at 2:29 AM

That made my day. I needed a smile and you gave me that.

Comment 18 by Don Blaire posted on 1/28/2010 at 2:30 AM

This will solve all my cf problems. Wow, thanks for this great solution.

Comment 19 by Kurt Wiersma posted on 1/28/2010 at 5:54 AM

Has any gotten the "openfile" command to work? This is key for the extension I am working but I cannot seem to get to to work. I even used Ray's sample code above and just change the type attribute.

Comment 20 by Raymond Camden posted on 1/30/2010 at 3:41 AM

Kurt, I got it to work. It is important that you ONLY send the filename XML:

<param key="filename" value="#myfile#" />

if you are sending the full path. For refresh, it worked ok with fullpath in filename and the projectname. When I switched to openfile, it didn't work until I commented out the projectname key. It _should_ be ignored (imho).

Comment 21 by Kurt Wiersma posted on 1/30/2010 at 6:51 AM

Wow this is great that did the trick. I found it to also work when I included the full path to the file. We need to file this as a documentation bug because it really through me off. Really they just need to add a few examples of each type and that would probably be enough (at least after they fix the "type" attribute omission).