New docs for script functions based on CFCs

Part of the improvements in ColdFusion 9 involve the ability to use various CF tags in script. Sometimes this is done by the use of a new keyword. So for example, writeDump and writeLog. Other tags were implemented as CFCs, such as Query and Mail. It can be a bit difficult to find explanations for how to use these new guys. I noticed yesterday that on Livedocs, there is a new section just for these new components: Script Functions Implemented as CFCs. This is the first time I can remember seeing Livedocs have pages not contained within the PDF download.

Comment 1 by Sam Farmer posted on 12/13/2009 at 8:52 PM

Cool find and lots of useful information.

That chapter is also not included in the installed version of cfdocs (localhost/cfdocs/...) which is what I primarily use.

Comment 2 by Dutch Rapley posted on 12/14/2009 at 1:19 AM

It's in the PDF, page 1382 in the CFML Reference. I do believe this section has been in there since the release of CF9. I'll have to check the original docs I downloaded when early October, when I get to work tomorrow.

Comment 3 by Raymond Camden posted on 12/14/2009 at 1:34 AM

Are you sure? I don't see it.

Comment 4 by Dutch Rapley posted on 12/14/2009 at 1:40 AM

I'm pretty sure..

Comment 5 by Raymond Camden posted on 12/14/2009 at 1:43 AM

What the heck - my C6 is the Flash Form ref.

Comment 6 by Raymond Camden posted on 12/14/2009 at 1:46 AM

Well crap. I just downloaded it again and I see it is there. Maybe I had docs from the pre-release, but I swear I remember getting the 'released' docs when CF9 came out.

Comment 7 by Raymond Camden posted on 12/14/2009 at 6:47 AM

I think I've got an answer. After talking with Charlie Arehart, he figured it out that I must have had a GMC copy of the docs. GMC (General something Candidate) is a 'pre-final/pretty much final' copy and I must not have ever updated. My fault!

Comment 8 by Sam Farmer posted on 12/14/2009 at 7:44 PM

I always thought GMC, in software terms, means Gold Master Candidate.

Definitely one I'd like to throw around from time to time! ;)

Comment 9 by Raymond Camden posted on 12/14/2009 at 7:46 PM

Ah yeah, thats it exactly Sam.

Comment 10 by Henry Ho posted on 12/15/2009 at 1:03 AM

They should have included the cfscript ver. of cftranscation and cflock...

Comment 11 by Raymond Camden posted on 12/15/2009 at 1:08 AM

No, they shouldn't have. This section specifically states that it is for the tags implemented as CFCs. transaction/lock are not.

Comment 12 by Henry Ho posted on 12/15/2009 at 1:12 AM

Maybe not in the same section, but I can't find the syntax for using cflock and cftranscation in scrpit style anywhere in the CFML Reference nor Developing Adobe ColdFusion 9 Applications guide.

So I googled and found Ben's blog post.

Comment 13 by Raymond Camden posted on 12/15/2009 at 1:18 AM

They are mentioned in C4/Extending CF Pages with... but not really detailed. An example there would be helpful.