New comments policy

I've found that my blog typically gets spammed between midnight and 6AM daily. This isn't a big deal normally as I just use the "one click delete" feature of BlogCFC to clean up the spam. Last night I got a butt load of spam though so I've decided to simply enable comment moderation before I go to bed. Hopefully this won't bug my non-American readers too much!

Comment 1 by nic posted on 11/19/2009 at 6:25 PM

Yeah, I noticed that someone wanted to sell you new shoes :-)
I suggest http://cfformprotect.riafor...

Comment 2 by Raymond Camden posted on 11/19/2009 at 6:55 PM

I have that turned on actually. BlogCFC ships with it.

Comment 3 by Evagoras Charalambous posted on 11/19/2009 at 7:19 PM

Ray, you must have some crazy sleep hours! Surely you mean "to simply DISABLE comment moderation before I go to bed" instead of "to simply enable comment moderation before I go to bed" - unless you sleep at 6:00am and stay up all night.
:o)

Comment 4 by Evagoras Charalambous posted on 11/19/2009 at 7:28 PM

Oops, the keyword here is "comment MODERATION". Never mind...

Comment 5 by Rick Mason posted on 11/19/2009 at 10:31 PM

CFFormProtect is amazing. Spend some time with the various settings that it enables and I bet it can solve your problem.

I had it logging results and was quickly able to see which test was letting the spam in.

At my last company we had heavy form spam and found that it was well over 99% effective in stopping it once we had it dialed in and this was without ever turning on Akismet.

Comment 6 by Eric Cobb posted on 11/20/2009 at 12:54 AM

If you haven't already, I would suggest enabling the project HoneyPot and Akismet features in cfformprotect. Once I did that on my blog, it shut my Spam traffic down to zero.

Comment 7 by Raymond Camden posted on 11/20/2009 at 1:07 AM

Yep, plan on doing it tonight. Todd Sharp pointed me to a good blog entry on it.

Comment 8 by Raymond Camden posted on 11/20/2009 at 1:48 AM

Honepot on. Akismet on. CAPTCHA off.

Let's do this.

Comment 9 by Jeff posted on 11/20/2009 at 3:06 AM

I was wondering why you did Askimet, since that's a pay service...but I forgot it's free for personal use!

Although my company doesn't get spammed alot, we found that CFFORMPROTECT + Honey Pot is killing spam at a 100% win rate. I definitely give it the Ministry of Truth rating of double plus good.

Comment 10 by RobW posted on 11/20/2009 at 7:29 PM

Could you share that blog article that Todd Sharp pointed out to you?

Thanks.

Comment 11 by Raymond Camden posted on 11/20/2009 at 7:41 PM

Here you go:

Took me like 5 minutes.

Comment 12 by Raymond Camden posted on 11/21/2009 at 9:22 PM

So far so good. Love that I don't need CAPTCHA. No "shoe" attacks. Wow.