AIR 2.0 Released to Labs

Woot! Adobe's AIR 2.0 has now been released to Labs. (Along with the Flash Player 10.1 pre-release.) I'd recommend this excellent blog article by Christian Cantrell for more information: AIR 2 Public Beta Resources.

I'd love to know - who out there is using AIR? Either for their business or for fun.

Comment 1 by Sam Farmer posted on 11/17/2009 at 7:02 PM

Going to start working on a ColdFusion 9 - Flex 4 - Air App next week for work. Its a service desk application and the notification support in Air is what sold the decision makers.

Comment 2 by Gary F posted on 11/17/2009 at 7:54 PM

My clients are mostly corp & gov which means I can't even begin to consider using AIR because the runtime requires an install on the client which is a big no-no. If Adobe merge their Flash Player and AIR runtime into a single install and disallow the installation of Flash separately then in a few years time corps & govs will have no choice but to allow AIR onto the desktop if they are to continue supporting Flash. At the moment there is no serious business justification for them to permit AIR to be installed.

Comment 3 by andy matthews posted on 11/17/2009 at 8:09 PM

@Gary F - "No business justification"?

Write an AIR app that an Enterprise can't live without and see how quickly they justify it. Don't look at it from the perspective of them not wanting to allow AIR. Look at it from the perspective of they just haven't had a reason to install it yet.

Comment 4 by Sam Farmer posted on 11/17/2009 at 8:16 PM

I'm working for a government client right now and thats who the app I mentioned is for.

Comment 5 by Gary Funk posted on 11/17/2009 at 8:17 PM

I work for a .gov and we have two AIR applications that I built. I am working on a third, but have run into a block and I have not been able to solve. I wish there was an AIR jedi that was as smart as our CF jedi.

Comment 6 by Raymond Camden posted on 11/17/2009 at 8:26 PM

Gary, I'm no AIR expert, but why don't you hit me up in email. I may be able to help, or help route the question.

I'm an AIR Padawan on the way to becoming a Jedi (hopefully!).

Comment 7 by Gary F posted on 11/17/2009 at 8:40 PM

Love the SW metaphor, Ray. I haven't actually push clients to consider AIR as I know the battles that lie ahead if I go down that route, and the only key benefit that web app alternatives are lacking (within the scope) is the ability to be minimised with notifications to new activity.

Comment 8 by mike posted on 11/17/2009 at 10:03 PM

Planning on creating an AIR based app early 2010 for company quoting. Learned alot at MAX, and would rather dive in at AIR 2.0 / Flex 4 than try to figure out 1.5 / 3.

Comment 9 by Tom Jenkins posted on 11/17/2009 at 11:02 PM

We've used AIR to do our Waypoint Touchscreen system for a couple of shopping centres (Malls :P) here in the UK.

These are linked into our ColdFusion CMS system. Very cool stuff.

Comment 10 by Mario Rodrigues posted on 11/18/2009 at 7:04 PM

Hi Ray,

I've been using AIR to create an app called Universal Inbox. The goal is to combine email, twitter, facebook, file storage, rss feeds, ribbit, instant messaging, a database client, ftp client in one tool.

I'm using ColdFusion 9 and Flex 3. Learning a lot about flex and AIR during the development.

Comment 11 by Raymond Camden posted on 11/18/2009 at 7:07 PM

@Mario: Holy crap. That sounds cool. When can I play with it?

Comment 12 by Mario Rodrigues posted on 11/18/2009 at 7:11 PM

@Ray, still a long ways to go, but you can try it out at http://www.universalinbox.com/ - I have mail, calendar, rss, files and basic twitter working. Focusing now on building out a database explorer tool and beefing up twitter support.

Comment 13 by Raymond Camden posted on 11/18/2009 at 7:18 PM

Dude - someone already has the cfjedimaster username. Delete him please. ;)

Comment 14 by David McGuigan posted on 11/22/2009 at 2:55 AM

I'm using AIR 2 to build the world's first great web browser. Javascript performance on the webkit in AIR 2 is SOOOO FAST ( almost as fast feeling as Chrome on Windows ).

Speaking of which, I haven't been able to get this question answered elsewhere. Does anyone know the most up-to-date/preferred method ( classes ) for Flash Remoting from pure Actionscript 3 ( Not in a Flex app ) to ColdFusion? I saw that Flash Remoting had been improved a ton in CF9, but all of the examples I've found have been MXML. Thanks!