BlogCFC 5.9.5 Released (with video)

I just released BlogCFC 5.9.5 to RIAForge. The readme describes all the changes, but the major focus in this release on improving the editor (lots of jQuery love!). I took a quick video demonstrating some of the new features. I know I need to get a better way of embedding videos on here, but for now the image below will take you to the SWF file directly.

Sorry for the all the "uhs" and junk. For some reason I tend to clench up when doing Jing videos. I blame the software. It can't be my fault!

Comment 1 by Ben Nadel posted on 11/4/2009 at 12:01 AM

Ray, looking good. As always, I am awed by the amount of stuff you get done!

Comment 2 by Steve Caldwell posted on 11/4/2009 at 2:09 AM

oops, I somehow broke mine. I _only_ changed the files you listed in the readme...should that work?

<code>
[Macromedia][SQLServer JDBC Driver][SQLServer]Invalid object name 'tblblogroles'.
</code>

Comment 3 by Raymond Camden posted on 11/4/2009 at 2:10 AM

Roles were added about 2-3 versions ago. Did you read the readme from your last version? What I mean is - find your last version in the readme and then read "up" the file to see what you need to do.

Comment 4 by Steve Caldwell posted on 11/4/2009 at 2:14 AM

for some reason I thought I was running the latest. but I wasn't. good call.

Comment 5 by Glyn Jackson posted on 11/4/2009 at 2:18 AM

Thanks : )

Comment 6 by Phillip Senn posted on 11/4/2009 at 3:45 AM

jQuery is sweet.
I just came up with this include file today:

<cfoutput>
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="#Application.Home#/Includes/jQuery/UI/Smoothness/css/smoothness/jquery-ui-1.7.2.custom.css">
</cfoutput>
<script src="http://www.google.com/jsapi"></script>
<script type="text/javascript">
google.load("jquery", "1");
google.load("jqueryui", "1");
function OnLoad(){
$('.date').datepicker();
}
google.setOnLoadCallback(OnLoad);
</script>

I'm thinking about replacing the hard coded "Smoothness" with a variable to allow users to pick from a selection of themes. And, the Themeroller site has a Firefox plugin that allows users to change their theme on the fly.

Comment 7 by Jody Fitzpatrick posted on 11/4/2009 at 3:32 PM

Hey Ray,

Instead of having it delete right away you should have the ability to confirm the delete. Also view the post ( maybe in a cfwindow? ). Another thing that would be nice is how you said it only returns 200 results, you should allow the user to select the amount of results that display you know 10. 20.. 50.. 100.. 200 etc...

Looking good

Comment 8 by Raymond Camden posted on 11/4/2009 at 5:08 PM

Good ideas Jody - but can you file them as ERs in the bug tracker? (http://blogcfc.riaforge.org)

Comment 9 by Brad Wood posted on 11/4/2009 at 10:57 PM

Hey Ray, thanks for the great update. I upgraded last night and us dinosaurs with MX7 on our personal servers choke on the coldfish.cfc line 285. Looks like some CF8 syntax crept in with
if (!regionMatches(thisLine....

The compatible line would obviously be:
if (not regionMatches(thisLine....

Also, do you know why my subscribe to comments is showing us as "_UNKNOWNTRANSLATION_"? I didn't have the time to dig for the solution last night.

Also, one last thing-- viewing the admin with Firebug shows a 404 happening:
/includes/jqtransform/jqtransform.css

Thanks again!

Comment 10 by Raymond Camden posted on 11/5/2009 at 1:08 AM

I see you filed bug reports. Thanks. I'm planning on hitting up all the small bugs on Friday.

As to your _UNK_ issue - it is a missing item from your en_US properties file. Just compare it with the latest from the zip.

Comment 11 by Brad Wood posted on 11/5/2009 at 2:47 AM

Ahh... Thanks Ray, that fixed it. I used Araxis Merge to bring all the changes over. Apparently I had it set to ignore files with no extensions. *grumble, grumble*

Comment 12 by Chris posted on 11/7/2009 at 12:00 PM

Is it easy to upgrade the core of the system? I was always fearful of getting the latest version because of all the skinning I've done. I'd hate to have to redo this each time there's an upgrade. I'm running 5.9.1.002

Comment 13 by Raymond Camden posted on 11/7/2009 at 6:35 PM

@Chris: The honest truth is that if you skin your blog, it ALWAYS makes it difficult to update. That isn't your fault of course. But - it is what it is - and is one place where Mango kicks BlogCFC's butt.

It's something I've been hoping to fix in 6. When will 6 be done? No idea at all. Sorry - but that's me being as honest as possible. :)

Comment 14 by Brad Wood posted on 11/7/2009 at 9:21 PM

@Chris: I highly recommend Araxis Merge (30-day free trial) for merging new versions in. It compares all files in a folder for you and shows you the changes. I have slightly modified BlogCFC over time, but it made it pretty easy to highlight the code changes as I copied them over. And thanks to Ray, he keeps pretty good release notes of everything he changes if you read them all in order.

Comment 15 by jeff posted on 11/7/2009 at 9:21 PM

I too am reluctant to upgrade the core as I have done a lot of skinning myself. Glad to hear that it is on the list for version 6.

Thanks for the hard work on this project!

Comment 16 by Raymond Camden posted on 11/7/2009 at 9:23 PM

@Chris: To add to Brad's comment - the readme.txt always describes which files changed, so if you knew you modified index.cfm for styling purposes, then you can look at the changes and see if that is one of the files changed. You can then followup by using a diff too to see how to get it in.

Comment 17 by Chris posted on 11/7/2009 at 10:34 PM

I think to save headaches, that I will wait for v6 (i'm not in a rush to upgrade that badly anyway).

Ray, will you be utilizing a theming concept like WordPress? How about being able to using some WordPress themes?

Thanks!

Comment 18 by Raymond Camden posted on 11/7/2009 at 10:40 PM

Using WP themes would be impossible since it includes PHP. I've actually _got_ a working theming engine in my v6 repo locally, but it just feels wrong to me. It supported 100% no code themes (just tokens, like %entrytitle%), but... well as I said. It felt wrong.

I cannot, and will not, make any promises on 6. One of the reasons I've made so many 5.9.X updates this year is that I felt like the product was languishing, and I didn't want to screw over my "customers" by making them wait forever for a new version. I'm actually pretty darn happy with BlogCFC now - I think it's got some strong features, but obviously the lack of themes that don't conflict with the core code is a big issue.

My _current_ thinking, and this is WAY off the record (even though I'm posting it here in a public comment), is that themes will work via simple custom tags. So you would write a displayEntries custom tag (if you want) that abides by a 'contract'. Ie, you know that BLogCFC always passes you a query with columns A, B, and C. In v7 I may add D, but it won't break your theme since I won't remove the old columns.

Comment 19 by Barry posted on 1/4/2010 at 11:53 PM

Hi Ray.

About kicking butt...I'm using your software for one of my websites and Mango for another. I have CF8 Window 2007 Server with 1GB of RAM. The Mango Blog software is killing my JVM memory! But BlogCFC is running GREAT.

Thanks!

Comment 20 by Raymond Camden posted on 1/5/2010 at 12:01 AM

Glad to hear it - although be sure to let the Mango folks know the issues you had. You can't fix bugs you don't know about.

Comment 21 by John Manoah posted on 2/11/2010 at 1:20 AM

http://www.johnmanoah.com was created using blogCFC 5.9.4.