Help spread the word - post a ColdFusion Cookbook entry and win ColdFusion 9

Adobe recently released their updated Cookbooks site, including the new ColdFusion Cookbook. To help get the cookbook filled with content even quicker, Ed Sullivan has announced that if you are one of the first 100 people to make a submission, you will be entered into a raffle to win a free copy of ColdFusion 9!

p.s. In case folks are curious about the old ColdFusion Cookbook content, data is still being copied over by hand. I know that my entries aren't migrated yet but will soon be. (Or I'll start throwing down a hissy fit - I've been trained by my 8 year old daughter on the proper way to do that.)

Comment 1 by Thomas Messier posted on 10/13/2009 at 6:19 PM

Out of curiosity, how is this site different from CFLib.org, if at all? Just wondering, because it's looking kinda like the same thing and I don't see the point of having two of the same, especially if it might divide content when we could instead have only one central repository where we know we can find everything.

Comment 2 by Raymond Camden posted on 10/13/2009 at 6:30 PM

CFLib.org is specifically for UDFs. UDFs are very specific forms of code that perform functions.

A cookbook is more broad. It's meant to answer basic questions. "How do I read a file in ColdFusion?" "How do I read mp3 information in ColdFusion?" Or in general, "How do I do X?" where X is something that has mass appeal. Not something like "I've got an error on line 5 of my file foo.cfm, can you fix it?"

The answer to these questions may involve UDFs, or functions built into CF, or CFCs, or may not even involve code at all. So for example, a question about securing the admin would involve a discussion of the security options of the CF Admin.

Hope this helps.

Comment 3 by Thomas Messier posted on 10/13/2009 at 6:39 PM

Yeah, that makes sense. I guess deep inside I just wanted you to keep a monopoly on the CF code sites! lol

Comment 4 by Raymond Camden posted on 10/13/2009 at 7:24 PM

Heh, well, to be honest, I was a bit resistant to this effort at first, but if you look at their cookbooks, it is significantly better. It has taken me years to 'get it', but the more I let go and try not to do everything solo, the better things get. Shoot, I wasn't able to catch up on CFLib.org without the help of Scott Pinkston.

Comment 5 by Saul posted on 10/15/2009 at 2:36 AM

I last bought 3.1 so I'm badly in need of an update :-)

Comment 6 by Saul posted on 10/17/2009 at 2:51 PM

When's the draw announcement? (fingers crossed:)

Comment 7 by Raymond Camden posted on 10/17/2009 at 5:22 PM

No idea. I'd assume soon. Adobe was on vacation this past week (which is why my entries still aren't migrated - hmpth :)