Making Subclipse recognize a project checked out from Subversion

When I typically work with Subclipse, I begin my project doing a checkout. Today I added Subclipse to install of ColdFusion Builder where one of the projects was already pointing to a working directory. I expected, perhaps foolishly, that Subclipse would recognize the .svn folder and just - um - do it's thing. No joy. I happened to guess upon a working solution though and thought I'd share with others. Warning - I have yet to actually commit or update - but I did confirm that I could compare against the latest in the repository.

1. Right click on your project.

2. Select Team.

3. Select Shared Project.

This is the part I was most unsure of. I didn't want to share - the project was already shared. But Subclipse recognized that the project was already shared and noted that. I clicked the Finish button and then stood back.

Eclipse began to chew. And chew. Progress windows opened up and closed by themselves. After about 30 seconds or so the demonic possession seemed complete - but I still didn't have little funky graphics next to my files signifying their state. On a whim I tried a Refresh and that seemed to do the trick.

Hope this helps others.

Comment 1 by Matthew Williams posted on 9/4/2009 at 7:48 PM

Ray, what OS are you on? Most of the time I check my projects out using TortoiseSVN in window (both XP and Vista), and subversion picks them up just fine in eclipse... now, I'm at version 3.5 of eclipse, but this worked in version 3.4 as well.

Comment 2 by Raymond Camden posted on 9/4/2009 at 7:50 PM

In this case it was Windows 7.

Comment 3 by Matthew Williams posted on 9/6/2009 at 5:03 AM

Maybe it's a funky permission issue? There's not really much to an .svn folder, is there? They all pretty much can stand alone, right? And subversion doesn't do anything different than a commandline or shell client would do... anyway, weird permission issue is getting my vote ;).

Comment 4 by Raymond Camden posted on 9/6/2009 at 5:06 AM

If it was permissions, I don't think my little fix would do it then.

Comment 5 by Eros Candelaresi posted on 5/7/2010 at 3:54 PM

Hi,
ok, it's a bit late. I just had the same issue and found your post while googling. I tried your solution. Was pretty nervous since it's a huge repository and hundreds of people work with it, plus my weekend is supposed to start soon. So, apparently Subclipse has been improved. It popped up a dialog box telling me that the project was already in Subversion and asked wether it should just connect my working copy to the repository. Yay! I still don't get why this has to be hidden in the Import workflow.

Comment 6 by Raymond Camden posted on 5/7/2010 at 3:55 PM

As an FYI, the same works with the Git plugin as well.

Comment 7 by Deepak posted on 12/2/2013 at 4:16 PM

The "Share Project' option is disabled on mycase.
Any help please..

Comment 8 by Raymond Camden posted on 12/2/2013 at 4:55 PM

Sorry, I haven't used Eclipse in years.