Cumulative Hot Fix 3 did NOT include security updates

This is more an FYI than anything else - but I wanted to make sure folks knew that the recent "cumulative" hot fix for ColdFusion did not include any of the security hot fixes from last month. Now I know that hot fixes are not meant to be required things for your ColdFusion server, but at the same time, Adobe refers to the security changes as hot fixes and I'm not quite sure how you could look at those as not required. I think if you use the word "cumulative" you are really leading folks to think that it includes everything and that just isn't the case here.

So - please - help spread the word. If you agree with me that this is unnecessarily confusing, please bug Adobe.

By the way - I'd love it if the ColdFusion Admin would check a web service for stuff like this. That way every time you log in you could see a little notice that new hot fixes were available.

Comment 1 by Chris Pfeffer posted on 9/3/2009 at 4:10 PM

That's were Railo really has Adobe beat. Can't beat the upgrade process in Railo.

Comment 2 by Steve &aposCutter&apos Blades posted on 9/3/2009 at 5:16 PM

Yeah, cumulative suggests "everything up until now", so that is a bit misleading. Your webservice idea is an excellent idea, I hope you put that on the wishlist.

BTW, did you see the bit about this update fixing a possible mem leak?

Comment 3 by Doug posted on 9/3/2009 at 5:18 PM

Just the other day I was trying to find updates on Adobe's site and had no luck. I eventually found them through Pete Freitag's blog. I don't remember Adobe's site being this difficult to navigate, did something change recently?

Comment 4 by Raymond Camden posted on 9/3/2009 at 5:18 PM

I skimmed the list, but didn't remember that. Interesting. Currently I'm already half-way CF9 (this blog, but not CFLib or RIAForge) and I plan to move completely to CF9 with the next build (and by completely I mean the community sites I run).

Comment 5 by Doug posted on 9/3/2009 at 5:19 PM

Whoops, I meant to say "the recent security updates."

Comment 6 by DanaK posted on 9/3/2009 at 10:47 PM

Like Steve said, I consider the tag 'cumulative' to include all hotfixes from the last cumulative until the next one is released. I'm glad you pointed this out, I don't often have enough time to be digging through stuff like that.

Comment 7 by Michael Long posted on 9/3/2009 at 10:57 PM

Have the Admin check for updates? How about downloading them and prompting you to do the install?

Or better yet, prompting you and then automatically doing the installing?

The current process is nothing but a pain.

Comment 8 by Mikey posted on 9/8/2009 at 10:29 PM

"Please bug Adobe"......

Can you describe the best way to do that? I've used their support area....which pretty much sucks. There's never a subject choice even remotely like my question. And, about a week later, I get a pdf from them that says "see below for resolution". The only thing on my pdf is my original question. Leads me to believe that my support question simply timed out somehow and they never looked at it.

Oh, and you can't reply to the nice "resolution" emails. You have to use the support area. And, guess what, there's no subject choice like "you didn't answer my question". Or "wtf", I'd settle for that.

Comment 9 by Raymond Camden posted on 9/8/2009 at 10:33 PM

Well, there are plenty of Adobe people on Twitter, and on blogs. I don't mean to imply to _bug_ them per se, but you can definitely reach out to those CFers in the community.

Comment 10 by Mikey posted on 9/8/2009 at 10:38 PM

I know there are folks on twitter but
1) when it's about a product purchase I don't think that's appropriate and,
2) no one has actually ever responded to my (admittedly increasingly annoyed-with-Adobe) tweets.

I just don't heart Adobe support. There it is.

Comment 11 by Raymond Camden posted on 9/8/2009 at 10:39 PM

Understandable. I've only had to call Adobe Support once, and it was for CS4, so I have no experience with the CF side of support.

Comment 12 by mikey posted on 9/9/2009 at 12:05 AM

If only the products were less stellar.....my working theory is that Adobe support simply exists to make Microsoft support look really good. ;)