Stupid ColdFusion Syntax Trick

I was in a development meeting earlier today and the following typo came up on screen:

x = "That's no moon. It's a space station."; writeOutput (x);

Notice the space? What was odd though was that ColdFusion Builder did not flag it as an error. On a whim I tried it and it actually worked. I even added about 20 spaces between the end of writeOutput and the left parenthesis and it ran with no complaints.

Weird - and useless - but kind of interesting how ColdFusion Builder helped me discover something I didn't know you could do.

Comment 1 by Brian Rinaldi posted on 9/1/2009 at 10:28 PM

Don't tell Ben Nadel or he'll add in line breaks and spaces before every parentheses ;)

Comment 2 by Henry Ho posted on 9/1/2009 at 10:28 PM

Hmm... I think that works with Java/C# too. White spaces generally don't matter, if I'm not mistaken.

Comment 3 by Dave DuPlantis posted on 9/1/2009 at 11:35 PM

Yep, that's right. Whitespace is ignored ... which means you get standards wars in most dev groups. When I worked in groups, it was interesting to see how people could be so passionate about things that didn't matter at all to the parser. (Sometimes "people" meant me!)

function(x)
function( x )
function (x)
function ( x )

all the same thing.

Comment 4 by Andrew Scott posted on 9/2/2009 at 7:47 AM

That is correct Henry, every language I have used is able to do this. If fact in our coding guidelines we actually have it documented that we use a space in this sitaution, and I have seen javaScript with this in a lot of examples in the last 15 years as well.

Comment 5 by Rob Dudley posted on 9/2/2009 at 12:57 PM

I'd second Brian's comment - Mr Nadel makes extensive use of white space in his function calls ... annoys the hell out of me personally but each to their own

Comment 6 by Raymond Camden posted on 9/2/2009 at 3:12 PM

@Andrew - funny, I don't think I've ever seen functionSPACE( before, but maybe I just never noticed.

Comment 7 by Andrew Scott posted on 9/3/2009 at 1:37 AM

@Ray - There is nothing from stopping you writing code like this either.

function
myVar, // Example1
myVar1, //Example2
myVar2, //Example 3
myVar3, //Example 4

The parser should ignore all spaces, tabs and end of lines until it finds what it needs.

Comment 8 by Raymond Camden posted on 9/3/2009 at 1:40 AM

That's wrong. You must be stopped Andrew. I'm creating a time machine just so I can go back in time and take care of that.

On a serious note - I do employ syntax like that a bit for jQuery.

$("...").foo(function() {
lots
of
stuff
here
})

Comment 9 by Andrew Scott posted on 9/3/2009 at 2:35 AM

hehe....

Comment 10 by Grant Eagon posted on 12/21/2009 at 4:37 AM

You can also do this:
<cfscript>
myvar =
Here's my lovely comment about why I'm doing this
CreateObject("component", "mycomponent").init();