ColdFusion Builder Tip - Finding a file

I'm working with a new client that has a rather large and complex code base. Since I'm still kinda new to the project I don't know where everything exists. I needed to find a particular file name within the project and discovered that ColdFusion Builder (Eclipse really!) provides a simple way to do it.

First, go to the Search menu like you would when searching for text within a project. Remove anything from "Containing text" and under FIle name patterns, just type in the actual file name. Lastly, be sure your scope is set to Selected resources.

Here is a simple example of searching for blog.cfc within my BlogCFC5 project:

The result will pop up in the Search panel:

As I said - this is more an Eclipse thing than a ColdFusion Builder feature, but it never occurred to me to use the search feature to find a particular file. Pretty obvious now I guess but it's going to be a life saver with me on this project.

Comment 1 by Scott Stroz posted on 8/31/2009 at 7:15 PM

You can also search for files by pressing ctrl+shift+R (cmd+shift+R on Mac)

This brings up an interface that will allow you to search for files where the list is 'filter as you type'

Comment 2 by Raymond Camden posted on 8/31/2009 at 7:17 PM

On my CFB, that inserts a script block.

Comment 3 by Scott Stroz posted on 8/31/2009 at 7:22 PM

Oops..I forgot about that being the default. I changed the key combo for CFSCRIPT so that I could get back the default Eclipse functionality.

Comment 4 by Raymond Camden posted on 8/31/2009 at 7:31 PM

Ok, so the non-key combo version is:

Navigate/Open Resource

Duh! Learn something new everything. One caveat though - this UI is for the complete workspace and may not be a good idea to find a generic term like user.cfc if you have numerous projects.

Comment 5 by Scott Stroz posted on 8/31/2009 at 7:35 PM

To help performance, I typically only have projects open that I am currently working on. Also, if you click a file that is found, it shows you the path, so you can see where it is.

Comment 6 by Raymond Camden posted on 8/31/2009 at 7:43 PM

I normally only close projects in Flex Builder. Mainly cuz it bugs me that the Problems view isn't "current project-file" specific.

Comment 7 by Mike Henke posted on 8/31/2009 at 8:29 PM

I think CFBuilder will fix the ctrl-shift-r conflict issue since the open resource shortcut is an Eclipse standard.

Comment 8 by david buhler posted on 8/31/2009 at 10:58 PM

Search Patterns are usually file-types: *.cfc,*.as,*.cfm. This allows you to only search WITHIN files by type. For example, the line above ensures my file-system search omits XML files.

ctrl-shift-r is the solution to show files by file-name.

Comment 9 by doug sims posted on 8/31/2009 at 11:39 PM

Is it just me, or no matter how I shutdown cfbuilder, my override of the insert script ctrl-r association reverts back and i am inserting script again

Comment 10 by rich posted on 9/1/2009 at 12:23 AM

Hey Ray, if you click the arrow at the top right of your Problems view and choose Configure Contents, you can set the scope to "any element in the same project."

Comment 11 by Raymond Camden posted on 9/1/2009 at 12:48 AM

Well holy crap - thanks Rich!