Ask a Jedi: Impact of whitespace and script based CFCs

Henry asks:

Does CF9 script style CFC still needs to set attribute output=false for component and function?

In my - admittedly - very limited testing, the answer appears to be no. I created a component with a large amount of white space in both the function and around it as well:

component {

public string function sayHello() {

return "Hello World!";

}

}

I duplicated this component but added output="false" to both the component and method:

component output="false" {

public string function sayHello() output="false" {

return "Hello World!";

}

}

To test then I created an instance of both and wrapped the sayHello call:

<cfset badWS = new testws()> <cfset goodWS = new testws2()>

<cfoutput> Testing bad: -#badWS.sayHello()#-<br/> Testing good: -#goodWS.sayHello()#-<br/> </cfoutput>

The result was the exact same. No additional white space from the creation of the CFC or the call either. I even tested making an instance of the first CFC with createObject, just to see if it made a difference, and it did not. Of course, it isn't like the output="false" argument is ignored. If you write a CFC method that outputs directly to the screen, then it does matter. Consider:

public function sayHello2() { writeOutput("hello2!"); }

That function will work just fine, but if you modify it a bit...

public function sayHello2() output="false" { writeOutput("hello2!"); }

Now you have a useless function. The output="false" will suppress the writeOutput>

Comment 1 by Robert Rawlins posted on 8/26/2009 at 5:00 PM

My opinion on this new scripting stuff is so torn, on the one hand I think it's really cool, makes the language feel somewhat more grown-up or something, I don't quite know, but on the other hand the reason I first started using CF was because of the tag based nature and how intuitive it felt as someone who has only previously dealt with html.

Comment 2 by Dan Vega posted on 8/26/2009 at 5:04 PM

Tags have there place on the presentation layer. To me it just feels better writing business logic in a less verbose more natural environment. The great thing is though developers have a choice so if its not for you don't worry, continue writing code the way you do now!

Comment 3 by Raymond Camden posted on 8/26/2009 at 5:18 PM

I'll ditto Dan. If the script stuff doesn't work for you, don't use it. :)

Comment 4 by Jared Rypka-Hauer posted on 8/26/2009 at 6:27 PM

The reason you get no extra whitespace using script-based CFCs is this: The only way a script block can output to the buffer is using writeOutput()... so if you have an all-script CFC, you won't get any whitespace. If you have a template with cfscript tags, you'll get the whitespace outside the cfscript tag, but you won't get any whitespace from the code _inside_ the script tag.

Comment 5 by sam Farmer posted on 8/26/2009 at 6:36 PM

Re: White Space

Interesting.

In CFAdmin what is your 'Enable Whitespace Management' set to? By default in CF9 its now checked and I wonder if that changes things.

Re: Script and Tags

We've got the best of both worlds now :)

Comment 6 by Raymond Camden posted on 8/26/2009 at 6:41 PM

Good catch there. I forgot that in CF9 this is turned on by default. I turned it off, but it didn't impact anything.

@Jared: Yeah, I believe you are 100% right, and it is kind of obvious now, but at the same time, good to confirm.

I tend to be anal about output="false" in my CFCs, but won't be bothering with it when i do script based ones.

Comment 7 by Jared Rypka-Hauer posted on 8/26/2009 at 7:10 PM

I don't believe that the whitespace management setting in the CF Admin should have any effect on script... script can't just output text unless you tell it to by using writeOutput() . Whitespace management is an artifact of a tag-based world built exclusively to output to the browser and extended to build objects.

Comment 8 by Jared Rypka-Hauer posted on 8/26/2009 at 7:12 PM

Ooops, I said that already. Heh.

I cannot get teh brainz to fully engage today. ;)

Comment 9 by Henry Ho posted on 8/26/2009 at 9:59 PM

Thank you for answering my question, jedi! :D

Comment 10 by Jose Galdamez posted on 8/26/2009 at 11:38 PM

This is pretty much the behavior I would expect from a script-based CFC, but it's certainly nice to see it actually tried out and confirmed.

Does anyone know if it's possible to call custom tags using script-based syntax? If so, I wonder what would happen then.

Thanks!

Comment 11 by Raymond Camden posted on 8/26/2009 at 11:41 PM

You can't. If your custom tag didn't need to support children, or wrapping, it would take two seconds to wrap cfmodule into a UDF. This would allow you to do: module("foo.cfm",{arg1=x,arg2=y}).

Comment 12 by Raymond Camden posted on 8/26/2009 at 11:45 PM

Well, maybe not two seconds. ;) It would be difficult to tell if the tag returned a value that you would then pass back. However, if you want to replace a _known_ custom tag call, then you could definitely write a quick UDF wrapper for it.

Comment 13 by Adam Cameron posted on 8/29/2009 at 10:05 AM

G'day
Just on the whitespace thing. There's still a slight use case for specifying output=false on script-based functions & components.

If the script code includes a tag-based file, the whitespace from the tag-based file still outputs (if whitespace management is off, natch).

It'd be questionable form to be including files from within a function, but it's still possible, so maybe worthwhile tucking this thought away in the corner of ones brain.

Adam

Comment 14 by Raymond Camden posted on 8/29/2009 at 5:41 PM

@Adam: Wow, good find there. Thank yoU!

Comment 15 by Jared Rypka-Hauer posted on 8/29/2009 at 6:14 PM

Hey Adam, good call. I can see that being an important function in a framework or DSL intended to process files into output, for example, and it would be perfectly fine in that case. I mean, there are probably a 100 places where this.include("/template/path.cfm") would be a viable method call, and in that case you have a totally valid point. :)