(Possible?) Answer to slow image resizes in ColdFusion 8

This post is more than 2 years old.

For a while now I've seen an odd issue with image resizing on the Mac (and then Windows as well). Sometimes when I would resize an image, it would take an extremely long time to finish. I'm not talking about expected slowness for a large image/high quality resize. I'm talking about some images take a few seconds, and others taking well over 2 minutes while my CPU went thermonuclear.

This was very hard to reproduce, although I had one image by Steven Erat that seemed to be pretty consistently 'bad' in terms of tripping up this issue.

Other people have not always been able to reproduce this. I know Jared has seen it, but I'm not sure many other people. RIAForge seemed to suffer from it for all images when doing screenshots.

So anyway, it was a very odd issue and that was hard to test. I spoke to Adobe engineering this morning and they pointed out that it was a confirmed bug in the 1.5 JDK. I switched my ColdFusion to use 1.6 and at first it didn't help. I did a quick check and saw that I was at: build 1.6.0_07-b06-153

I went to Apple's Java downloads, grabbed the latest update, and went up to 1.6.0_13. After restarting ColdFusion, the previous resize which had taken around 48 seconds went down to 800ms.

Hope this helps others.

Raymond Camden's Picture

About Raymond Camden

Raymond is a developer advocate for HERE Technologies. He focuses on JavaScript, serverless and enterprise cat demos. If you like this article, please consider visiting my Amazon Wishlist or donating via PayPal to show your support. You can even buy me a coffee!

Lafayette, LA https://www.raymondcamden.com