Full Sail University uses ColdFusion in Web Design and Development Program

This isn't exactly breaking news, but while at CFUnited Express Atlanta, I sat next to Adam Bellas. He works for Full Sail University. He told me about how Full Sail offers a BS in Web Design and Development, which by itself is pretty darn cool, but even better, the server side part of the program is 50/50 ColdFusion and - I forget - some other language that rhymes with pee. The web site itself is built in ColdFusion (although I'm going to deduct a brownie point for auto-play video on the home page). You can find more information about the program here. I've got to say it looks pretty good. I wish this had been around back when I was in college. (My last computer science courses were in Modula-2 and Assembly - guess how much I use them now?) The courses cover everything from streaming media servers and web standards.

Nice to see ColdFusion get some love in the educational space, especially with regards to the movement Adobe has made there as well. (See this link.)

Comment 1 by Adam Bellas posted on 4/21/2009 at 1:23 AM

Thanks for the mention! We're gearing up for a complete rebuild of the fullsail.edu site this fall/winter (the site there now is about three years old).

I was fortunate enough to be on the advisory board for the program, and I advocated a lot of the big philosophies the entire community seems to resonate. I expect to see some sharp grads coming out of there. :)

Comment 2 by Gigi posted on 4/21/2009 at 1:24 AM

Amazing to see how ColdFusion hase made such huge strides. Full Sail University is located in Orange County FL. I recently found out that the Florida Department of Transportation's is using ColdFusion for their Prepaid Toll Program (Sun Pass).

Comment 3 by Daniel Lanza posted on 4/21/2009 at 1:35 AM

The Full Sail program and website look great. I wonder if they offer a graduate program? I work at Florida State University Admissions, and we have been using Coldfusion for our websites and online forms for a few years. We even have a few BlogCFC implementations, Coldfusion is the best.

Comment 4 by Tom K posted on 4/21/2009 at 1:37 AM

I'm using CF8 at the University of Oxford, although we're using it for departmental / project websites mainly.

Comment 5 by Lola LB posted on 4/21/2009 at 3:03 AM

I know Cornell University uses ColdFusion. mobarger (on Twitter and Plurk) is on the development team.

Comment 6 by Alirio Boquin posted on 4/21/2009 at 3:37 AM

Raymond I live in Costa Rica, this year I finish this the entire Website of University were I Studied Information Systems Engineering "Universidad Latina" (www.ulatina.ac.cr).

The old Website was in PHP. The new one use ColdFusion 8, MS-SQL 2008, Flex 3. This project was amazing for me, because in some kind of way I return to see people I know from mane years ago and I give a good new Website. I some kind of way a I give a robust Website with Adobe tools.

Amazing project for me.

Comment 7 by Eric Hynds posted on 4/21/2009 at 6:00 AM

Bentley's website is CF driven as well

Comment 8 by Adam Bellas posted on 4/21/2009 at 6:41 AM

I've got to admit - hearing from these comments about the other higher ed. institutions that use ColdFusion is pretty cool. We love it at Full Sail.

@Daniel Lanza: There are some M.S. programs offered, but the Web Design and Development program isn't there yet (to my knowledge). However, it was interesting in the advisory board when I saw how much more we wanted to squeeze into the B.S. but couldn't. There is definitely content remaining for a M.S. but the trick would be teaching concepts that won't be old news by the time you finish the program - even with Full Sail's accelerated pace.

Comment 9 by Joe Coleman posted on 4/21/2009 at 7:36 AM

Glad to see opinions on CF have changed at Full Sail. When I taught in the Digital Media program (years ago), some of my co-workers went on and on about how it was a dead end.