CF-Talk Status

Just a quick note as I've had a few people ping me. Yes, CF-Talk (and the other lists served there) is down. Michael knows about it and is in the process of getting it fixed. It should be up soon. Personally, I blame the gremlins.

Comment 1 by Michael Dinowitz posted on 1/29/2009 at 11:31 PM

The mail server's drive was totally corrupted and I may not be able to salvage anything off of it. I've been putting a new box in place with a fresh install of everything. Not an easy task as the mail server code has been evolving for almost as many years as I've been married. It's great and solid stuff, but moving it, resetting stuff, rebuilding lost stuff, etc. is not a job for the weak. or the week.

The list mail that has gone out while the server was down is coming in and you'll see it in your box soon.

Comment 2 by charlie griefer posted on 1/29/2009 at 11:32 PM

the gremlin hasn't even been manufactured since 1978. don't blame the gremlins.

Comment 3 by Raymond Camden posted on 1/29/2009 at 11:35 PM

@cg: Dude, not that Gremlin, this one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wik...

Comment 4 by todd sharp posted on 1/29/2009 at 11:39 PM

I think you meant 'down', not 'done'. :)

Comment 5 by Kumar posted on 1/29/2009 at 11:51 PM

Yea, I read done and thought thats it, it was the end of cf-talk ;)

Comment 6 by Raymond Camden posted on 1/30/2009 at 12:03 AM

It is done. I'm launching my new list, cf-jedi, which will have 2 Google Adsense ads per email message and required Lost viewings. Don't tell Michael.

Comment 7 by Adrian J. Moreno posted on 1/30/2009 at 12:15 AM

@Ray, can you make it a requirement that people post what version of CF they're using when they post so we know what year it is?

Comment 8 by Raymond Camden posted on 1/30/2009 at 12:32 AM

Actually that would be a great idea for MD to post to the list every now and then - as a reminder.

Comment 9 by Kumar posted on 1/30/2009 at 1:02 AM

I am up for it, but change requirement from Lost to BSG

Comment 10 by Dale Fraser posted on 1/30/2009 at 4:34 AM

Personally,

I dont like the interface, the constant please trim your posts, the downtime etc. I appreciate their efforts, but dont understand why they do it when there are perfect solutions for free.

If anyone is interested in a Google Group alternative sign up here

Comment 11 by Michael Dinowitz posted on 1/30/2009 at 5:24 AM

@dale
Yes, the interface needs work and I have a new one that has to go in as soon as I have a spare second.

The 'constant reminder to trim your posts' is a feature I built in to remind people that they have to do just that. I know some may find it annoying but many others find it easier to read emails without 40 pages of previous comments. It's a feedback mechanism. Start trimming posts and they disappear.

The downtime now and a few weeks ago are from the same thing (corrupt drive leading to death) but before that it was years between any downtime more than a few minutes.

Google groups are not a perfect solution and MANY people come to the lists to get away from Yahoo Groups, Google Groups, etc. I've seen others set up 'alternate' versions of CF-Talk and they are free to but there is community loyalty to a product that's been building ColdFusion since day 0.

Comment 12 by Dale Fraser posted on 1/30/2009 at 6:08 AM

@Michael,

I appreciate that there is a loyal community and that you have put a lot of work into it over the years.

I dont have any issues with Google groups, not a fan of Yahoo. But I really think its time for a move, if you champion it, im sure all the loyal followers will move.

There is probably some advertising revenue or something else that you will loose by doing this, but currently your at risk of loosing the group.

cfaussie moved from an internal system to google groups, and everyone moved along.

Comment 13 by Michael Dinowitz posted on 1/30/2009 at 6:15 AM

Ah, but there is no chance I'm going to champion such a move nor is there any chance of losing the group. HoF's numbers are over 20k subscribers (though not all on cf-talk) and these numbers are growing on a regular basis.

Why would I want to destroy something that I've been dedicated to building for the last dozen years? Microsoft has yet to pay me 10 million for House of Fusion so why would I give it to Google for less?

Comment 14 by Dale Fraser posted on 1/30/2009 at 6:22 AM

@Michael,

Seriously? If has been down this long, then clearly there needs to be an alternative. If the one I have setup is a short term alternative fine.

As I have said previously, im happy to hand it over to you, its your list, I am only interested in having something that works and is functional.

Comment 15 by Michael Dinowitz posted on 1/30/2009 at 6:27 AM

The alternate is a brand new server with a backup server along side it. Shared code bases with a single, central DB server. I'm working on the alternate as we speak and it'll be done once I'm finish testing it.

Comment 16 by Henry Ho posted on 1/30/2009 at 12:43 PM

Time to move to Google Group man.... seriously. ;-)

Comment 17 by Chris posted on 1/30/2009 at 3:12 PM

@Michael,

whatever you do, don't switch do Google Groups, please. They are great.... if you disregard the fact that they don't respect privacy, spider your email, support censorship in certain countries, and things like that. :-( Yes, really gotta like Google.

Comment 18 by Matt Williams posted on 1/30/2009 at 6:19 PM

Let the cf community vote with where they sign up and where they send their emails. I for one would hate to see House of Fusion and its archives go away. Just a couple days ago I googled a question found an answer I needed in a 3 year old email on HOF.

And whenever I see people knocking the interface, I have to ask, "There's an interface?". I use gmail for several lists I'm subscribed to, some on HOF, some not. So gmail is my interface. Pick what you like and only visit the HOF site when you are searching archives.

Keep up the good work Michael

Comment 19 by Michael Dinowitz posted on 1/30/2009 at 7:10 PM

@Chris
I do a lot of Google work and I know how easy it is for them to trace people across the net. All you need is one piece of information to identify you and then they can tie you to any site using Google tools like analytics or adsense. I'm VERY protective of subscribers data and in the case of one list (cf-community), the archives have no names associated with any posts.

Comment 20 by Henry Ho posted on 1/30/2009 at 7:48 PM

Why do you guys prefer using large and bulky mailing list?

Forum vs Mailing List, I'd take forum any day.

What do you guys think?

Comment 21 by Michael Dinowitz posted on 1/30/2009 at 7:50 PM

That's why House of Fusion is both.

Comment 22 by umuayo posted on 2/6/2009 at 1:05 AM

Ray,
I am trying to populate a table based on the last cfselect by the User. Already my 3 cfselects ar all working. So on the last select I am calling a CFDIV to run a qauery and output the content in a table. All the Div position show is the "loading image" See my code below.
<cfdiv ID="theDiv" bind="url:datad.cfm?indid={indicatorid}&refdate={referencedate}" style="background-color:##CCFFFF; color:red; height:350" />
<!---Datad.cfm

<th>Denominator:</th>
<th>Include 0/1 Data:</th>
</tr>
<cfif isdefined("qryEntryGrid")>
<tr>
<td align="center">#qryEntryGrid.breakdown#</td>
<td align="center"><input type="Text" name="numerator_1" value="#qryEntryGrid.Numerator#" size="1" maxlength="3"></td>
<td align="center"><input type="Text" name="denominator_1" value="#qryEntryGrid.Denominator#" size="1" maxlength="3"></td>
<td align="center"><input type="Checkbox" name="usedata_1" ></td>
</tr>
</cfif>
</table>
</form>

Comment 23 by Raymond Camden posted on 2/7/2009 at 12:48 AM

Errr, well, this isn't really a blog post about general tech issues umuayo. This is really OT for the current entry. All I can suggestis adding debugging to your datad.cfm file. Check to see what url variables are sent in. Maybe they aren't what you think.