First batch of Dreamweaver/ColdFusion articles up @ Adobe

So none of the articles will probably interest readers here, but the first batch of my article updates for Dreamweaver CS4 and ColdFusion are up at Adobe...

Here is a direct link: http://www.adobe.com/devnet/dreamweaver/application_development.html#coldfusion

Again, nothing too exciting here for most of my readers I would assume, but I hope they can help ColdFusion newbies using Dreamweaver get into the product quicker and easier (that's what - never mind).

I can say that I've enjoyed using Dreamweaver lately. I don't think it is as good as Eclipse... when Eclipse runs right, and I can certainly say I won't be bad mouthing it anymore, so thank you to Adobe for opening my eyes a bit.

Hey, that could be a cool new slogan:

Dreamweaver - It doesn't suck!

And this is why I don't do marketing.

Comment 1 by David McGuigan posted on 12/23/2008 at 3:46 AM

Nice work Ray.

Give it a few more days, you'll soon realize that DWCS4 is not just as good as Eclipse, but substantially better ;).

Comment 2 by hee posted on 12/23/2008 at 4:21 AM

clearer, you've never seen the marketing for BBedit (which I'm a fan of).

Comment 3 by Mike Benner posted on 12/23/2008 at 5:28 AM

Dreamweaver 4 has actually made me move away from Eclipse for my Coldfusion Development. This is a much better product than the past DWs.

Comment 4 by Tony Garcia posted on 12/23/2008 at 8:15 AM

It may be uncool these days, but I do most of my development in Dreamweaver (in code view, of course)

Comment 5 by Dan Sorensen posted on 12/23/2008 at 9:23 AM

Dreamweaver CS4 is the first Adobe release worth using. It's a nice improvement over MX 2004.

Comment 6 by Francois Levesque posted on 12/23/2008 at 6:22 PM

Too bad it's price tag is so high... 400$ for an IDE, when there are already good free options out there is a shame :(.

Comment 7 by Glyn Jackson posted on 12/23/2008 at 7:51 PM

I love Eclipse but Eclipse does not manage all my connections and site defs. DW CS4 has to be the best release so far, it fits perfectly with Adobe's other products and I love the new dual screen function.:) the only issue with CS4 is some CF8 tags were missing and i has to download a plug-in. you would think a newer version would have been up-to-date.

Comment 8 by Raymond Camden posted on 12/23/2008 at 7:56 PM

@Francois: To be fair, I didn't buy DW, but 400 is not expensive. It may be for a college kid (although I'm sure they have educational discounts), but for a serious development tool, it's very fairly priced. Good tools are worth paying for.

Comment 9 by DanaK posted on 12/23/2008 at 8:07 PM

I used to prefer DW but then DW8 came along. Most of my development runs across a mapped drive to another box and DW8 would cause all kinds of locking issues and that background file activity would never go away (oh and NOT run in the background heh). oof.

Comment 10 by Francois Levesque posted on 12/23/2008 at 8:09 PM

@Ray,

Maybe I work for a company that's not willing to shell out that much money (per license) for software when there are free options available. Maybe if there was a feature comparison somewhere, that I could show the higher ups... that'd be something ;)

Comment 11 by Raymond Camden posted on 12/23/2008 at 8:22 PM

While I'm not aware of any comparisons, I do know there was a butt load of content pushed for CS4, including lots of demos.

Some of the JavaScript related features are worth the price alone. For example, taking a file and making the JS inobtrusive with one click. That's freaking slick.

Comment 12 by David McGuigan posted on 12/23/2008 at 9:12 PM

Note: Students can get the entire Web standard suite at their universities for +- $250 (includes Fireworks and Flash).

$400, for a career developer, on a tool that will save you measurable amounts of time (assuming you actually learn how to use it), enhance your productivity, and make your full-time job more enjoyable, is a bargain.

The argument that your company not paying for something is an excuse not to use it to me seems a little limiting. It's your life. Probably 8 hours a weekday of your life. That's roughly 36% of all of the time you spend awake. To not invest some of the money you make at that job into improving your enjoyment and performance at that job is, well, self-deprecating on so many levels.

Comment 13 by Keith Homel posted on 12/24/2008 at 2:40 AM

Nice to hear some positive comments about DW. I've been using it for years (in code view, mostly) and saving time all along. My buddies who don't use it are amazed whenever I show them a little nugget of the power of DW. They still don't think it's "cool" to use it though, so I happily finish work early while they work into the wee hours...

Comment 14 by Chris posted on 12/24/2008 at 7:25 AM

I love DWCS4. The linking of files is simply too cool. If I'm working in an HTML file the linked CSS and JS files show on a sub menu. I can easily toggle between all the linked files without manually opening each one. Make a change in one and it automatically appears in the live preview. Slick. I haven't seen the unobtrusive js development yet, but will investigate more.

I just have a question. I'd like to add a new keyboard shortcut but it won't let me. I want to add CTRL-A to add <CFABORT> but I can't add a menu item to the keyboard dropdown. Is that possible?