Early Christmas related excuse to test a jQuery Plugin

Warning, this post is nothing more than a) a chance to show off a new picture of the kids (or as I call them, the North American branch of the South Korean Army) and b) quickly test a jQuery Lightbox plugin (which may be found here):

Click Me

I think it works rather nicely. I tried jQuery Lightbox Plugin (balupton edition) earlier but ran into issues trying to get it to run in a non-default file location setup.

Comment 1 by Phillip Senn posted on 12/18/2008 at 3:17 AM

I use one called cycle
written by Mike Alsup, one of the reviewers for the "Learning jQuery" book.
It's a slideshow plugin.

Comment 2 by Will Swain posted on 12/18/2008 at 3:36 AM

Nice. Shame the flash ad for Fusion Reactor sits 'above' the lightbox. I wonder how easy that would be to fix?

Comment 3 by Will Swain posted on 12/18/2008 at 3:37 AM

Ben Forta is looking old too.

Comment 4 by Raymond Camden posted on 12/18/2008 at 3:41 AM

What browser, Will? It's working fine for me in FF3/OSX.

Comment 5 by Will Swain posted on 12/18/2008 at 3:45 AM

XP Pro and FF 3.0.4 with Flash Player 10

Same in IE7 for me too.

Comment 6 by Craig Kaminsky posted on 12/18/2008 at 3:57 AM

Ray - Will's issue might be as simple as the lack of the wmode=transparent in the embed tag and in the corresponding ActiveContent JS. FF and the Mac seem to not have this issue while Win/FF/IE does.

Comment 7 by Ezra Parker posted on 12/18/2008 at 5:36 AM

FWIW, I note the same issue as Will in FF 3.0.4 on Ubuntu...

Comment 8 by Vladimir Ugryumov posted on 12/18/2008 at 5:50 AM

Just like Craig said - setting wmode="transparent" or "opaque" will solve the issue with protruding flash movie. I just did it in firebug and it works.

Comment 9 by Scott Stroz posted on 12/18/2008 at 6:53 AM

There is something unnatural about kids getting their picture with Santa while wearing shorts.

Comment 10 by Raymond Camden posted on 12/18/2008 at 8:56 AM

Guys, is it better now?

Comment 11 by Ezra Parker posted on 12/18/2008 at 10:47 AM

Yep, that looks to have fixed the problem on Win/FF. Interestingly, it did not make any difference on the Linux side. I have encountered this issue from time to time (not very often, as I use the NoScript extension to block Flash by default and only enable it on a case-by-case basis), but I always just assumed that the site in question didn't have the wmode attribute set.

Upon investigating further, it turns out that this was a known issue with Flash Player 9 for Linux, and an upgrade to FP 10 corrected it -- obviously I should have done this a while ago...

Comment 12 by Raymond Camden posted on 12/18/2008 at 4:50 PM

I think, at the end of the day, the true problem here is that you are using a free OS and not truly contributing to the American economy. Once you stop being a communist and actually buy a real OS, this will all go away.

(Ahem, thanks for the tests Ezra. :)

Comment 13 by Todd Rafferty posted on 12/18/2008 at 7:09 PM

That Santa does *NOT* look happy. LOL

Comment 14 by Dan G. Switzer, II posted on 12/18/2008 at 7:12 PM

I actually use a similar plug-in on my blog and just load it in the main template. What I like about this, is all I need to do is add the appropriate class to my image tags and links to the full pictures automatically open up inline.

See this for an example:

My point is, you can easily add this code to your layout.cfm, that way you can take advantage of the code on any blog entry.

Comment 15 by Raymond Camden posted on 12/18/2008 at 7:12 PM

Heh well it took about 4 pics to get everything coordinated.

Comment 16 by Raymond Camden posted on 12/18/2008 at 7:14 PM

@DS: Yeah, I thought about that. For right now I'm just testing. I'm considering bundling it with BlogCFC 5.x though and using it for slideshows. BlogCFC has long supported slide shows, but they are simple one page at a time type things.

Comment 17 by Todd Rafferty posted on 12/18/2008 at 7:16 PM

Another cool jQuery lightbox plug-in:

Comment 18 by Raymond Camden posted on 12/18/2008 at 7:34 PM

I quickly modded slideshow.cfm to support thickbox. You can view an example here:

If any BlogCFC users want this early, let me know. It does automatic thumbnail creation.

Comment 19 by Phillip Senn posted on 12/18/2008 at 7:47 PM

Some people really didn't like Santa back then, did they?
Ah, good times.

Comment 20 by Ryan posted on 12/18/2008 at 10:48 PM

Just another note found as I have been working with Lightbox, and Thickbox both. If the wmode=transparent fix doesn't work. Try toggling the loop option for the flash animation. I have found that if I turn off the looping, the flash movie will not display above the Lightbox anymore.

Comment 21 by Tami Burke posted on 12/19/2008 at 4:00 PM

So, what is WRONG with Santa? He looks like a grumpy old man! Your kids are GREAT!

Comment 22 by Matt Gifford posted on 12/22/2008 at 3:06 PM

Love the smile on those kids faces, and Santa looks *whispers* real *end of whisper*

I had written a jquery plugin combining a gallery slideshow and the lightbox functionality, which you can check out and download here if you want to play around with it.

Merry (early) Christmas, every body.

Matt (aka ColdFuMonkeh)