Global warming is a sham!

And I have proof! We got a phone call this morning at 5:45AM. My mother-in-law was calling to let us know that it had not only snowed last night, it had actually accumulated. We've seen a light frosting of snow once here, but never anything like this:

(Yes, I need to work on my nighttime photography skills.) We went ahead and woke the kids up since we figured this would probably never happen again. Here is Jacob and Noah behind a snowman. They are incredibly hard to see since I refused to get any closer, but I thought the snowman looked suitably deranged:

And finally, Lynn being, well, cute.

We made today an unofficial snow day and they are playing with the neighbor kids now.

p.s. The title of this blog entry is a test. If you get worked up over it and correct me, you have failed the test. ;)

Comment 1 by Mark Drew posted on 12/11/2008 at 7:28 PM

You have more snow that we have had this whole year in London! Wow!

At least with a nice little frost you are protected from the zombie hordes... is the snowman a Zombie Scarecrow?

Comment 2 by Bliss posted on 12/11/2008 at 7:32 PM

Snowed in Houston last night too! My Siberian huskies finally saw their first white stuff!

Comment 3 by Jim Priest posted on 12/11/2008 at 7:41 PM

How bizarre (both the snow and that first snowman) :) Here in NC it's supposed to be 70 (!) today with thunderstorms predicted.

Comment 4 by todd sharp posted on 12/11/2008 at 7:52 PM

Yeah, it's all pretty and fun til you get 15 inches of it....

That's what...nevermind.

Comment 5 by Dave DuPlantis posted on 12/11/2008 at 8:17 PM

Dear Louisiana,

Glad you enjoyed the snow. We thought you might appreciate it. If you like, we can send more of it. We really don't need any ourselves.

Sincerely,
Indiana

P.S. No, really. We'll just go ahead and send it, k?

Comment 6 by TJ Downes posted on 12/11/2008 at 8:30 PM

That's the scariest snowman I have ever seen.

Enjoy the snow :D

Comment 7 by EB posted on 12/11/2008 at 8:34 PM

what the hell is the point of this post???

Comment 8 by Thomas Case posted on 12/11/2008 at 8:37 PM

Boy Ray, first hurricanes and now snow. What's next, earthquakes, volcano's erupting, cats and dogs (well you know)?

Out here in the great Northwest, it is in the 40's to 50's. So, it is now into the rainy season, but at least we don't get monsoons (e.g., hurricane downpours, that is unless you live on the ocean side of the Olympics, like say Forks). The snow stays (for the most part) up in the mountains, which are only an hour or two away, and then we can come back to mild climate. Of course, there is word this week that we may have a chance of temperatures getting down in the 30's here and for snow. We usually get one or two weeks a winter where there is a storm.

Ray, maybe, you should break the Inconvenient Truth to Al Gore. He may want to update his slide show.

Comment 9 by Raymond Camden posted on 12/11/2008 at 8:37 PM

To make you mad, EB. Don't be a jerk. This is a personal blog. I post personal things along with techy things. If you don't like it then don't read the blog.

Comment 10 by Gary Fenton posted on 12/11/2008 at 8:55 PM

Yes, it is a sham. Less than a 1 degree C global rise in 100 years. I can feel my skin blistering with that huge increase! <rant> This sort of change is nothing and to believe an entire planet is supposed to maintain the exact same temperature for 100's of years is ridiculous. It's impossible to maintain exactly 21 degrees C in my little house with a digital thermostat, so how the heck is a whole frigging planet supposed to do the same with 1000's more variables in play! </rant>

That's a lovely snowgargoyle, Ray. Place it on your roof and you'll be protected from demons over Christmas. :-) Have a good one.

Comment 11 by dt posted on 12/11/2008 at 8:57 PM

That's the scariest snowman I have ever seen. times two.

dt

Comment 12 by tony petruzzi posted on 12/11/2008 at 9:13 PM

welcome to the world of thinking for yourself, doing your own research and not believing everything people say. it truly is an enlightening experience.

we've been waiting for you.

yes it's a sham and al gore ought to be flogged for continuing to spread the lie.

Comment 13 by Mike Jr posted on 12/11/2008 at 9:18 PM

Great post.

Comment 14 by Joel posted on 12/11/2008 at 9:29 PM

Global warming IS definitely a scam, in the 1970's they were talking about how we were headed into a second Ice-Age, Now the planet is melting... Sure, we should recycle more, because I saw Wall-E, and that's a lot of trash...

Any-who ... yah ... crazy snowman...

Comment 15 by Raymond Camden posted on 12/11/2008 at 9:34 PM

Guys.

Seriously.

Do I have to change the title of this blog post? I mean I don't mind OT - shoot, this blog post itself is a non-tech post (as EB pointed out, thanks EB, love ya!), but it was mainly to share some fun pictures of my kids.

On the other hand, meh, have fun debating if you want. Just keep it civil. ;)

Comment 16 by Mike Rankin posted on 12/11/2008 at 9:41 PM

I think that is a perfectly fine Louisiana snowman.

Comment 17 by Thomas Messier posted on 12/11/2008 at 10:01 PM

Since you seem to have enjoyed this quite a bit, Canada would be happy to send you some of the 15 or so inches we got the other night. No, really, you can have it! lol

Comment 18 by Steve K. posted on 12/11/2008 at 10:24 PM

Ray, keep the snow there. As I speak your storm is headed straight for our area (Upstate New York). Heck, they closed a bunch of the schools ahead of time!

Comment 19 by Yaron Kohn posted on 12/11/2008 at 10:28 PM

It's not called Global Warming anymore...It's called Climate Change. (It's a "new direction")

Comment 20 by Ben posted on 12/11/2008 at 11:15 PM

Global warming is a scam! However, Climate Change is not. Enjoy the snow! I'm off to India -- if it snows there -- I'll let you know!

Comment 21 by Alan McCollough posted on 12/11/2008 at 11:28 PM

It snowed here, too! Well, mind you, "here" is Anchorage, Alaska... Hm, I would never expect snow in Louisiana.

Comment 22 by JC posted on 12/11/2008 at 11:57 PM

Hey Ray,

Of course, here in Duluth, MN, it's cold and snowing as I type this. Is there some sort of voodoo curse on Louisiana? USA Today put out this report on the most corrupt states in the country and I believe Louisiana is ranked 2nd behind...North Dakota?

Comment 23 by Nick posted on 12/11/2008 at 11:59 PM

We didn't get snow, but we had Rain and .......... FOG??? out here in Vegas over thanksgiving.

Comment 24 by John Dowdell posted on 12/12/2008 at 12:53 AM

It was snowin' in N'awlins, too, but I'm sure they didn't have such funky snowmen.... ;-)

Funny day to have a title test, considering that both senate.gov (a ColdFusion site!) and UN's IPCC issued significant "global warming" reports today:

Comment 25 by Tom Mollerus posted on 12/12/2008 at 1:46 AM

Ray, I love the fact that you woke up your kids before 6am to see snow-- I bet it's a memory they'll have for decades. If there's still any snow left on the ground, you should gather a couple of snowballs together and put them in the freezer to suprise the kids with next summer.

Comment 26 by Bliss posted on 12/12/2008 at 1:51 AM

> gather a couple of snowballs together and put them in the freezer to suprise the kids with next summer.

Made me think of this classic: http://www.youtube.com/watc...

Comment 27 by Dale Fraser posted on 12/12/2008 at 8:01 AM

Global warming is a scam.

However, down under it doesnt rain anymore, the dams are almost empty and we are not even allowed to water our gardens.

Anyway, those are some scary snowmen, hope you didn't frighten the poor postman to death.

Comment 28 by Charlie Arehart posted on 12/13/2008 at 8:44 PM

Cute story/pix. Thanks for sharing. (As for EB, 2 lumps of coal for your stocking!)

So Ray, about that first snowman--does it really have big bat-like ears? Or is the camera playing tricks? If they're really there, I'd wonder where they got that idea for the snowman. Were you guys maybe watching Gremlins recently? :-) (80's movie reference for those who don't get it)

Comment 29 by Raymond Camden posted on 12/13/2008 at 8:48 PM

The ears are two bags my youngest was holding. It just so happened that the picture came out that way and they ended up looking like ears.

For folks who are curious - the "snowman" is still there, but about the size of a beer bottle. I'm shocked it survived as long as it has. :)

Comment 30 by Bliss posted on 12/13/2008 at 8:51 PM

Mmm. Beerman.

Comment 31 by Tom Chiverton posted on 12/15/2008 at 7:18 PM

Never mind the warming scam, I'm upset Ray left the visible timestamp on on his camera :-)

Comment 32 by Raymond Camden posted on 12/16/2008 at 3:45 AM

@TC: Heh I know. I suck as a photographer. ;)

Comment 33 by Will Swain posted on 12/17/2008 at 4:09 PM

That is a really creepy snowman. Well done!!